DAC/pre with volume control and analogue input?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Apart from the Benchmark DAC1 Pre and HDR models, what other DACs have the ability to control volume and also have an analogue input? Preferably ones that cost less than the Benchmarks.

Yes, I am aware that the DAC built into the AVI ADM9.1s fulfill these criteria, but for this question I am asking only about standalone DAC/pre boxes.

The Beresford Caiman (and indeed my own TC-7520) have the volume control but no analogue input. There must be lots of people who could use that one analogue input. Vinyl fans or people with an extensive cassette collection or (like me) people who still want to keep hold of FM as a premium quality source option whilst it's there.

The only options I can think of are....

Benchmark DAC1 Pre/HDR (very expensive).

AVI ADM9.1 (but no choice of speakers)

Any DAC plugged into a traditional pre-amp. (Too many boxes + a very expensive way of just getting an analogue input and volume control)

Thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I guess a Naim UnitiQute (bypassing it's 30w amp by using the pre-out connection to actives) would be ideal. It has a DAC and an analogue RCA input and built in FM/DAB tuners and wireless and remote control. The whole thing costs about the same as a Benchmark and gives the option to drive small passives if the actives ever needed repair.

Perhaps I should wait. Naim have lopped off the CD player from the uniti. Maybe it is just a matter of time until they make a version without the power amp too
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

benchmark is expensive but head and shoulders above the rest you listed.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Looks like I have been through a very similar path as you... I ended up choosing between the Benchmark and Grace Design m902 which has very similar functionality. I have tried both at home and have chosen the Benchmark as having better sound. Check the thread in my signature for some more detail.
Both Benchmark and Grace UK distributor would send you a sample for home trial.

Cyrus also does a DAC with pre, analog in, vol control, balanced out so also very similar in functionlaity and specs but it is clsoe to 2,5 grand. Have not tried it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Kevin1:benchmark is expensive but head and shoulders above the rest you listed.

Yes, but a very unbalanced allocation of money if using sub £1000 active speakers say.

A

Anonymous

chebby,

I raised exactly the same question on anothe forum (the one where girly colours swim). I'd link directly if it wasn't for the rules of this site. There were quite a number of responses.

Rob

A

Anonymous

Cyrus DACXP is meant to be best product Cyrus have ever made but it is expensive even second hand.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
I guess a Naim UnitiQute (bypassing it's 30w amp by using the pre-out connection to actives) would be ideal. It has a DAC and an analogue RCA input and built in FM/DAB tuners and wireless and remote control. The whole thing costs about the same as a Benchmark and gives the option to drive small passives if the actives ever needed repair.

Perhaps I should wait. Naim have lopped off the CD player from the uniti. Maybe it is just a matter of time until they make a version without the power amp too
emotion-1.gif

This is something I'd be likely to buy.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
All this just coincided with me thinking through alternate ideas for the next system. Last week I was looking into and costing out ideas like Quad 11L/12L Actives + DAC/pre + DAB/FM tuner.

Now I am thinking UnitiQute + Quad 11L/12L Actives. (Especially as I have just recently found out that the Quads are 'true' actives with built-in line level electronic crossovers and not 'powered passives'.)

My local Audio T is a Naim and Dynaudio and Quad (speaker) stockist. I must pop along and have a listen to the MC15s and see if a pair of active Quads can be transferred to the branch for me to listen with a UnitiQute after it is launched.

[Edit. Oh well scrub the Quad 11L/12L actives. Just rang IAG and although they are still manufacturing them, there is no intention to sell them again in the UK.]

Gopi

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
I am myself interested in this DAC/Pre + Active route. I had the Quad 12L Actives.

I have not seen much talk about Peachtree Audio. I had the Nova. I would recommend the iDecco though - cheaper and can take digital out of ipod. This would give you DAC/Dock/Pre/Power. The power section is not that well compared to the rest. So you can ignore that and use the remaining. They are planning to release a version later this year without the power amp portion.

A

Anonymous

What didn't you like about the Nova? I was going to suggest it as, of course, it also has space for plugging in one of the Sonos modules therefore effectively giving you built-in streaming. Seemed a bit of a steal al 1300? or thereabouts.

Gopi

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh,

I had recommended iDecco over Nova for 2 reasons:

1. It has a ipod dock built in with digital out of the ipod going to a great DAC. So, definitely a plus over Nova.

2. Its cheaper than Nova and the main difference between them is the power 80W vs 50W. Given that he would not use the power portion of it the cheaper version would be good enough. The DAC chips are the same, but not sure if there is any difference in its implementation.

I really liked the DAC and the pre portion of the Nova. We compared it head to head with Cyrus CD8se and found them to be pretty close with just a slight difference in the sound signature. The power though good was not a match to the rest. So, I would recommend Nova or iDecco to be used with a active speaker to get their best.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am still in a bit of sulk over the news from IAG - on the phone earlier - that they no longer market the Quad 11L active in the UK. (Although they still make them, they are targeted at the far East only now.)

Audio-T (Quad dealer) cannot find any on their database for any branch so no chance of listening first
emotion-6.gif

Dynaudio Focus 110A and PMC DB1S-AII are out of my price range at about £1600 upwards.

There are the £800 Dynaudio MC15s though, and my local branch have these so may have a listen soon.

Gopi

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
chebby,

Just an information. There is a Quad 9L Active as well and available in UK. The difference is that 9L comes with built in pre, remote and even a USB Dac and costs about 500 pounds. The size of these seems comparable to 11L as well.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I think you need to buy the new issue chebby, there's an interesting product in there which does all you need... The Aktimate Maxi is not a true active speaker though.

(Or are you referring to something not in the Active/Powered speaker test?)

John Duncan

chebby:The Aktimate Maxi is not a true active speaker though.

No it's not, but if there's one thing I found on listening to some of them, it's that enjoyability is not necessarily a function of activeness.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts