DAC headphone amp for high end headphones & lossless music

wolfie01902

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I now spend the bulk of my time listening to my music sitting at my iMac

I use B & W MM1’s as the speakers but I do like to listen to my headphones, which are Grado GS1000’s

So I’m intending to purchase a DAC headphone amp to use with these excellent cans.

But it seems quite a bewildering market, the ones I’ve read some reviews and considering are:

Meridian Explorer

HRT microStreamer

Arcam rPAC

And the Graham Slee Bitzie USB DAC/USB Headphone Amp

Anyone tried any of these with good quality headphones?

Can someone come up with an answer?

Kind regards

Jeremy

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
I haven't heard the Graham Slee, but of the rest you mention I'd recommend the HRT microstreamer.

That said, I don't think any of your list is good enough to show you just how capable your Grados really are. To do that, I think the likes of Audiolab's M-DAC is a decent starting point.

dbbloke

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly this headphone amp is very good.

Found it because I'm really interested in the ak4399 DAC made by the same guy. Available with torodial and op627 (not rcore) for £150 ish. Can order it from the same ebayer minishow0328.

They list the normal model seems not to come standard with op627 opamps as standard though (needed), chinese site has the torodial/opa627 one I want though when monies allow.

BTW, do some searches of your favourite DAC chip on the chinese site (works well in chrome auto translaton). You will be there forever.

Off Topic - WHF seems to be getting better, but DAC reviews last month still seemed a bit mainstream IMHO, you just need to look at head-fi or diy sites. Amps this month also much little more realistic outcomes ;)

silikonas

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jeremy,

I think you will be doing a big disservice to your Grados with any of these DACs. I own Grado SR325s and just recenly bought the new Benchmark DAC2. Only now I understand what my Grados are capable of. Given the fact that your Grados are even better you really should give them a high quality feed. Good luck!

dbbloke

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Seems the latest model is a corker. The guy I spoke about before does a full blown ESS9018

Feel free to spend £2k + on something else though, but I can't see why anything would sound significantly better if you spec with the right op-amps/transformer/usb card.

I am 100% sure getting this with torrodial option when I can afford. Ready made versions from ebay seller as before.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts