Looking to add a DAC for Hifi and Headphone USe

Bushey Vinyl

Feb 27, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking to introduce a DAC into my system. I recently acquired two sets of high end headphones (one probably need to sell), which I bought a Pathos Tube/Hybrid Amp which plays nicely but without inbuilt DAC so believe a good quality external DAC will help pull out the final detail and expand the soundstage to do justice to the cans (Focal Clear and LCD-3's)
Like many others I have started streaming to add variety to my music, so whilst my Bryston BP25 Preamp has inbuilt DAC I believe a standalone modern one will create significant improvements.

My budget will be £700-2000, where I have not listened to any, but read a lot, and believe best reviews suggest shortlist as below:
1. Chord Qutest
2. Chord Hugo 2
3, RME ADI 2
4. Denapfrips Pontus 2

Tinman1952

Hi,

I am looking to introduce a DAC into my system. I recently acquired two sets of high end headphones (one probably need to sell), which I bought a Pathos Tube/Hybrid Amp which plays nicely but without inbuilt DAC so believe a good quality external DAC will help pull out the final detail and expand the soundstage to do justice to the cans (Focal Clear and LCD-3's)
Like many others I have started streaming to add variety to my music, so whilst my Bryston BP25 Preamp has inbuilt DAC I believe a standalone modern one will create significant improvements.

My budget will be £700-2000, where I have not listened to any, but read a lot, and believe best reviews suggest shortlist as below:
1. Chord Qutest
2. Chord Hugo 2
3, RME ADI 2
4. Denapfrips Pontus 2
Hi. I didn't think the Bryston BP25 preamp had a built in DAC?
Anyway, all the DACs you mention are excellent and which is 'best' for you will depend on your taste and sound preference. You really need to try them out for yourself.
Plus you now have the new Chord Mojo 2 which is apparently very close to the Qutest sound quality with the advantage for headphone listening of crossfeed settings and EQ adjustment capability. 👍

Reactions: doifeellucky

Bushey Vinyl

Feb 27, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. The BP25 has add on options. DAC or Phone Stage etc, but I question how good it is today. I shall try and listen to some of the Chord DAC's which are more easily accessible. The Denafrips has one UK distributor in Ipswich who says 15 days shipment suggesting none held in the UK. Will look into the Mojo 2 which I was unaware of, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts