DAC dilemma...

RS0882

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

Currently I have a Marantz pm8003 and a sonos zp90, van damme silver series interconnects, 4mm Loud OFC cable and monitor audio RX1s. I think the sound is good, not too warm, nice treble and detailed, but I want it to be a little more dynamic. I am auditioning a channel islands vdac 2 now, and it sounds nice but it does smooth things off at the top end - perhaps because it upsamples - and I actually prefer the rawer sound of the sonos internal DAC. Do all upsampling DACs have this feat?

My question therefore is what DAC can you guys recommend to give me a more dynamic, toe-tapping sound? I've been looking at the MF V-DAC II (with the possibility of getting a PSU down the line), MF M1-DAC and the Rega DAC. My question above has me worried about the MF M1-DAC and is steering me towards the Rega, but perhaps it's the channel islands DAC that caused this and not the fact that it has upsampled.

I know the other option is selling the Marantz and getting a Naim (which I want!), but I do like the marantz and it integrates really well with my Marantz AV SR-6005 both aesthetically and sonically. Also, I can't afford a Naim right now... :oops:

Help!

RS

Hi

Just by going by your current kit they seem to be pulling all in the same direction: Marantz is smooth/warm, RX1s are the same, so I've been told and the MF V-Dac ditto.

There's no magic formula to system matching but it is a fine balancing act. Based on this worth trying Cambridges DacMagic: Doesn't quite do it with my system but may well be a good solution with yours.

RS0882

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Penguin. However, would you choose this above the MF-M1DAC or Rega DAC? I read on stereophile.com that the MF1DAC is like a DacMagic but with better power supply. The difference in price is also not that shocking.

Any views?

RS

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
It all comes down to listening I guess... i've heard all those DACs, but in the end I choose the Rega and don't regret it for one single moment. Besides it having a way better power supply than the dacMagic (I was suprised when I lifted the Rega up :)), it has a kind of 'analogue touch' do it that makes me smile each time I sit down and enjoy some music....

But really the best thing you can do is listen to these DACs in combination with your own hardware.

RS0882 said:
Thanks Penguin. However, would you choose this above the MF-M1DAC or Rega DAC? I read on stereophile.com that the MF1DAC is like a DacMagic but with better power supply. The difference in price is also not that shocking.

Any views?

RS

As Spockfish commented you'll need to listen and find the ideal compromise. The only DAC I've heard is the Cambridge, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. However, going by reviews the Rega would seem to balance things out a little in terms of tonal quality.

A

Anonymous

spockfish said:
Besides it having a way better power supply than the dacMagic (I was suprised when I lifted the Rega up :))

True and false. Yes, it does indeed have a good power supply but most of the actual weight, that makes the Rega Dac feel so sturdy and solid, comes from the thick iron topplate. I discovered that last week when I removed the topplate to investigate the possibilities to change the C5-inlet for an IEC-inlet. But none the less, I just love the sound of my Rega Dac :cheer: It has proved to be a huge upgrade from my stock MF V-Dac.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I looked at the M1-DAC when purchasing the V-DAC and the only improvements I could see on the M1-DAC was a better powersupply, balanced outputs and a fancy box.

I doubt the M1-DAC sounds any better than the V-DAC with PSU.

If you're thinking of adding a PSU, it's OK, but I'd be tempted just to bite the bullet and get a better DAC from day one (but not the M1-DAC).

Can't recommend the Rega DAC as I haven't heard it, but that (or the Audiolab M-DAC) is what I'd be looking at from the current mainstream pick.

A

Anonymous

Bas73 said:
spockfish said:
Besides it having a way better power supply than the dacMagic (I was suprised when I lifted the Rega up :))

True and false. Yes, it does indeed have a good power supply but most of the actual weight, that makes the Rega Dac feel so sturdy and solid, comes from the thick iron topplate. I discovered that last week when I removed the topplate to investigate the possibilities to change the C5-inlet for an IEC-inlet. But none the less, I just love the sound of my Rega Dac :cheer: It has proved to be a huge upgrade from my stock MF V-Dac.

Hi Bas73

Did you manage to change the C5 connector on the back of your Rega DAC? I'm attempting to do the same to use some high-end cables.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts