DAB Tuner upgrade worth it?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Any ideas:

I have a Cambridge Audio DAB300 separate DAB Tuner connected to my system (Audio Analogue Enigma and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s).

The sound is a bit thin and I can hear a slight hiss.

Is it worth upgrading to a Denon TU1800, CA 640T V2 or other more expensive tuner? Will I hear a difference or am I running up against the problem with DAB - low bit rates and the MP2 codec? PS FM is better but doesn't off the stations I like!

Thanks alot.

Guy

A

Anonymous

Hi Dave,

Yes - I have almost perfect reception and no signal error though my roof aerial.

Thanks

Jitter

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
The hiss surprises me. I presume it isn't there with any other source?

Anyway, IMHO it would be worth waiting to see where the DAB+ debate lands.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Maybe it is not hiss I'm hearing. It doesn't have the clarity or cleanness and depth of FM or CD. I'm really using it for background listening since it could be better.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, thats what I'm beginning to think.....

How about attaching it to a DACMagic - will that improve things?

A

Anonymous

I haven't looked in too deeply, but have you considered feeding the audio out from a Freesat box or Sky box. I have heard in passing that the quality of these is better than DAB.

I have just bought a receiver and last night fed the optical out signal from the Sky box to the receiver, and then the pre-out from the receiver to my stereo amp line in. I did a very quick listen on radio channels and it seemed ok. Then again, that was at 4.00am, so I am sure most things sound good at this time.

The reason I saw given for the pros of freeview/sky radio is less compression.

I wouldn't mind looking at Wi-fi Internet radio, but this may open up more possibilities, and things to do at 4.00am in the morning.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Branoc:How about attaching it to a DACMagic - will that improve things?

Not unless the DAC can increase the bitrate of the original transmission
emotion-5.gif

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
TNTTNT:
I haven't looked in too deeply, but have you considered feeding the audio out from a Freesat box or Sky box. I have heard in passing that the quality of these is better than DAB.

The reason I saw given for the pros of freeview/sky radio is less compression.

The reason it sounds better from Freeview / Sky boxes is because the bit rate is higher in many cases..

See http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/dab/digital_radio_bit_rates.htm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts