DAB Tuner advice

toneey.m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I'm a keen radio listener. I get a good reception with a Roberts istream portable radio, can I expect to get a good reception with a DAB Tuner?

I saw a Cambridge Audio Azur 640T DAB/FM Tuner on ebay at a good price, £100. Would I need a special arial? Are there other good alternatives out there for about the same price?

Thanks.

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Tes, to get the best out of a DAB radio you should install and good DAB aerial, if you are going to invest in a tuner get a good FM aerial too as some FM stations still outperform some DAB ones that continue to use a compressed stream.

Tommo

ESLee

May 9, 2013
Visit site
After looking at a number of DAB tuners I eventually opted for a good old fashioned Quad FM4 instead.

I might be in the minority here but i tend to only listen to a select few stations and have a good external aerial to plug into it.

You could use this site to enquire about DAB signal strength. http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/

There are loads of good tuners on the bay for next to nothing, you could always buy one, try it then sell it on if it's not for you?

ESLee

May 9, 2013
Visit site
After looking at a number of DAB tuners I eventually opted for a good old fashioned Quad FM4 instead.

I might be in the minority here but i tend to only listen to a select few stations and have a good external aerial to plug into it.

You could use this site to enquire about DAB signal strength. http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/

There are loads of good tuners on the bay for next to nothing, you could always buy one, try it then sell it on if it's not for you?

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Although it is a minority view, I prefer dab over fm, as the fm reception tends to be variable, and I regard getting an external fm aerial too much hassle. I get good reception on the dab basic aerial "string" that came with my Teac R6500 which you can get via richer sounds for £140. Although whathifi only give it 3 stars, it works- I currently play it via a dac. Another responder suggests you need to get a decent aerial- I personally don't see why. If the string aerial does get reception, then the digital information will be processed, you would only need something else if the signal wasn't strong enough. I would imagine the 640T would be better than mine, if still working ok. By the way, I had a problem previousy with signal dropout on a denon tu1800 (which is generally well regarded)- corresspondence on another forum would suggest I wasn't the only one. Hope this helps.

toneey.m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, loads of help !

Spending a £100 and taking a chance sounds like a good idea. I too love FM but my favourite station is on digital, Radio6. I will also look into the cost of a an aerial. I had an amusing exchange with the bloke who is selling a DAB Tuner on ebay, he has spent £2k on his aerial! But it sound amazing apparently.

Other comments have made me feel confident about the quality of the Cambridge Audio kit and I won't rule out the Teac either.

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts