Cyrus upgrade

Trevordonnelly

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I've got a Cyrus 8vs, CD8x, and Dali Suite 1.7 floorstanders, and Nordost Solar Wind interconnect, which is a fantastic sounding system, but I've got some spare cash and I'm looking for another step up in quality and detail. Would you recommend I add a psx-r, replace the speakers, or wait for the CD upgrade to the SE?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Trevordonnelly"]but I've got some spare cash and I'm looking for another step up in quality and detail.[/quote]

DAC XP.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Trevordonnelly"]
I've got a Cyrus 8vs, CD8x, and Dali Suite 1.7 floorstanders, and Nordost Solar Wind interconnect, which is a fantastic sounding system, but I've got some spare cash and I'm looking for another step up in quality and detail. Would you recommend I add a psx-r, replace the speakers, or wait for the CD upgrade to the SE?

[/quote]

My experience with cyrus components is simply this; it starts and ends with the 8 series. There are vastly more 'capable' separates available at any given price once adding to the basics. We've tried (probably) almost every permutation thereafter and it really is not cost effective. The only problem you may find is pinpointing what you dont like about your present set-up, what can be improved up on.

Unfortunately you did'nt give any details as to what is important to you other than you want to 'upgrade' for the sake of it.

Why? Its a 'fantastic' sounding system. Where's the problem?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]
Unfortunately you did'nt give any details as to what is important to you other than you want to 'upgrade' for the sake of it.

Why? Its a 'fantastic' sounding system. Where's the problem?

[/quote]

emotion-3.gif
There always will be a better system even for the same price and without exploring what are out there "Why have the hobby?"

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]There always will be a better system even for the same price and without exploring what are out there "Why have the hobby?"[/quote]

To enjoy music. Fine line between that and becoming obsessed with changing/upgrading for the sake of it, often only because you're made to believe you have to by brochures/reviews. Believe me i've been there. But its something you learn after a while.

We had this conversation before but generally speaking I'm not a great believer in buying into a system such as cyrus or naim. It ties you in at great cost and often you are talking about minutea of differences, another slight variation of the 'house' sound. Dont even start me on 'bi-amping'. In many cases at an outlay totally disproportionate to the results obtained as compared to say a different speaker or amplifier from another brand.

Its all relative and if you have the cash, why not. Still, upgrading for no other reason than that is the highway to hell. Yes, there's always something better out there but the price you pay other than in monetary terms is often an inability to still enjoy and listen to your music. If you have a system that sounds fantastic to you enjoy it until you actually hear something else that you fall in love with and can't be without.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
To be a bit more helpful, the most cost effective way to increase perceived detail is to add a power supply to the amp and not the player. It will have the effect of reducing/lowering the noise floor.

Other than that, the player is a good one and so is your amplifier. To add the DAC is a waste of money for reasons mentioned in my previous posting. I dont know your speakers, so can't comment.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]To enjoy music. Fine line between that and becoming obsessed with changing/upgrading for the sake of it,[/quote]

I don't think Trevor log on to this forum, ask for advise hoping just to get this kinna answer. He has spare cash to upgrade his hifi and the like of you and me that heard many gears than most on the forum should try our best to help

I am sure that we are all here because we enjoy listening to music and because your box swapping life didn't work out too well doesn't mean someone else wouldn't get a better success rate.

I can see what you are saying about Cyrus and I have post a similar comments here a while back however you have to acknowledge that Cyrus and Naim are two of the most poppular brands on the planet and more importantly, Trevor already bought his Cyrus system.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]and the like of you and me that heard many gears than most on the forum [/quote]

Have we?
emotion-1.gif

[quote user="Thaiman"]
and because your box swapping life didn't work out too well doesn't mean someone else wouldn't get a better success rate.

[/quote]

Who says it did'nt little thai man with an elvis face.

[quote user="Thaiman"]
I don't think Trevor log on to this forum, ask for advise hoping just to get this kinna answer. He has spare cash to upgrade his hifi and the like of you and me that heard many gears than most on the forum should try our best to help

[/quote]

I did

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site

[/quote]

I really hope you are following this Trevordonnelly. You will go away with valuable, priceless knowledge of what you should do next
emotion-2.gif

Trevordonnelly

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys, I get the picture. I guess you're saying what I already know, in that I already have a great system, and I'm just being greedy looking for something more. Maybe it's time to look at my AV instead!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks guys, I get the picture. I guess you're saying what I already know, in that I already have a great system, and I'm just being greedy looking for something more. Maybe it's time to look at my AV instead!

[/quote]

There you are. Another happy customer. Just how do we do it ... ?
emotion-11.gif

John Duncan

[quote user="Trevordonnelly"] Thanks guys, I get the picture. I guess you're saying what I already know, in that I already have a great system, and I'm just being greedy looking for something more. Maybe it's time to look at my AV instead![/quote]

Or more music
emotion-1.gif

Mike_Schmidt

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I have a cd8x with psx and pre x vs with psx and two smart powers. I came from the 8vs and CD 8x and upgraded from there. Listen its all a upgrade in sound no matter which way you, no a matter of fact what others say... this upgrading is a good thing. To get more or a "better sound that you cant live without" you would have to spend plenty more which leaves this upgrade path appealing. Every piece i added has made a difference and had someone tell me that my cardas cables cost as much as my 6 box Cyrus system, but you know what they made a difference. That can only mean one thing this system is letting a lot of information though more than my old inferior cables were letting. Go for the upgrade don't let others bring you down

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
Drummer....see what have you done now
emotion-9.gif

[/quote]

My mamma always said I'll be trouble. Thats why she left me in a basket outside a hifi store when I was 26 with only a copy of What HIFI as a blanket. How cruel can you be? ... A copy of What HIFI!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts