Cyrus experience tour

• Thread starter QuestForThe13thNote
  • Start date
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

im going to this tomorrow in Southampton (audio t, chandlers ford). Their heard of r and d is going to be there and audio t and Cyrus are demoing many of the old products up to the current range, with a range of different current speakers.

Will report back with some pictures afterwards. Cheers.

http://www.cyrusaudio.com/news/cyrus-experience

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
im going to this tomorrow in Southampton (audio t, chandlers ford). Their heard of r and d is going to be there and audio t and Cyrus are demoing many of the old products up to the current range, with a range of different current speakers.

Please ask their R&D guy why they're still shoving everything they make into the same horrible casing they've been peddling for decades.

Please ask them to stop. - If they need help with design (and it definitely seems they do *cough* Lyric *cough*), I'm more than happy to offer my services.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Infiniteloop said:

Please ask their R&D guy why they're still shoving everything they make into the same horrible casing they've been peddling for decades.

Please ask them to stop. - If they need help with design (and it definitely seems they do *cough* Lyric *cough*), I'm more than happy to offer my services.

Will ask him if any plans. I do kinda like that - the retro look. It’s like owning a modest looking car in the range with a great engine, without the body skirts, and low profile tyres etc, but it still performs well.

I do think it’s good for their customers brand loyalty and upgradeability. You upgrade the stuff inside for sq reasons in effect but the functional cases stay the same, and you don’t buy a product only for a new looking range to come along.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Only Cyrus kit that looked good to me was the old one. I'm not a fan of 80s car radio or all-in-one office printers designs they sell now.

If I could ask the chap a question, I'd be currious to know why they do such a great molding job everywhere on the case and utter f***up on the heat sinks where airflow actually matters. Do they employ blacksmiths with carpal tunnel? It's 2017, fix it!

*biggrin*

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

Will ask him if any plans. I do kinda like that - the retro look. It’s like owning a modest looking car in the range with a great engine, without the body skirts, and low profile tyres etc, but it still performs well.

I do think it’s good for their customers brand loyalty and upgradeability. You upgrade the stuff inside for sq reasons in effect but the functional cases stay the same, and you don’t buy a product only for a new looking range to come along.

I understand all that but I'm sure it puts a lot of potential new customers off. There are ways of updating things without upsetting existing customers and still provide an updated and aesthetically pleasing outcome. For example, have a look at how Audio Research or McIntosh have managed it.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I think the thing they would probably say is that it’s all about the sound and changing looks are low on the agenda.

On heatsinks I know the actual case is designed as a heat sink, and if it can get too hot they put fans in, like on power monoblock amps. Also too don’t these manufacturers buy grades of electronics to keep up with heat that will be in the case. So low heat, low heat tolerance components, and opposite obviously.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I think the thing they would probably say is that it’s all about the sound and changing looks are low on the agenda.

On heatsinks I know the actual case is designed as a heat sink, and if it can get too hot they put fans in, like on power monoblock amps. Also too don’t these manufacturers buy grades of electronics to keep up with heat that will be in the case. So low heat, low heat tolerance components, and opposite obviously.

I'm sure they will say it's all about the sound, but they are missing a trick. You can eat your cake and eat it if you're clever.....

S

SemiChronic

80s design !

Lol, to be fair i suppose they get a point for using toroidals(although small)

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I think one of the good things that they use same cases is that from a small manufacturer point of view, they can keep unit costs down so they develop the sound and if they changed cases regular, lots more costs of design and manufacture go into that. So it maybe the other way round and they are doing it the smart way. Also using same case accross range means bigger economies of scale of the case buying, which if you change often, you get less of. So they can buy 10,000 cases from one supplier over number of years or whatever the number is, rather than much lower numbers of cases with higher unit cost . I think some similar manufacturers do this, heed maybe. But I’d agree it may put people off if you like new designs. Frankly I’d rather put my Hi Fi in a really nice antique Chinese cabinet with swing doors, if I could afford it, as that would be better to look at than any hi Fi which is mostly uttalitarian and functional looking, square boxes with dials

I know that first pic is of the dac xp signature pre amp with twin dac boards, and the other two is a psx-r power supply.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

drummerman said:
Vladimir said:
Look how they handpicked a semi-decent one (although its still pretty poor) for a press shot.

Meanwhile look what the customers gets: this and this.

One is a DAC I believe, one is a PSX-R and the other is an integrated, one of the smaller 6 me thinks.

What is your point?

yes sorry, the last two aren’t both psx-rs as they have different components. The one with the four capacitors is defo the psx-r but the first one is the top dac/pre amp that I have which is the dac xp signature. I know that as it’s dual mono and has one dac per channel - the two dac cards side by side can be seen, plus it has seperate power supplies for the dac and pre stages, hence two toroidal transformers at the front.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:
Vladimir said:
Look how they handpicked a semi-decent one (although its still pretty poor) for a press shot.

One is a DAC I believe, one a power amp and the other is an integrated, one of the smaller 6's me thinks (or an older model?).

What is your point?

It's badly made. Tell them to do better.

????

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Greetings fanboys. From another world I come!

p03bfz0h.jpg

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

We will all be like we are in a Star Wars scene tomorrow then. Lol.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Vladimir said:
drummerman said:
Vladimir said:

One is a DAC I believe, one a power amp and the other is an integrated, one of the smaller 6's me thinks (or an older model?).

What is your point?

It's badly made. Tell them to do better.

????

The case is really badly made. Look at the heatsinks on the 6. I have had a few Cyrus bits through my system and for sure the build quality is not commensurate with the price.

Personally I would ask the R&D bod why they consider it okay to have an all in one product like the Lyric on sale with non-functional DAB software/hardware, and an aerial that doesn’t screw on to its connector properly. When I asked before I was told that it is because people don’t use DAB, favouring internet radio, so they haven’t bothered fixing it. ?!?

I would also ask why the three pairs of faulty X300 monoblocks they supplied me with were not in fact faulty, and why they considered my homes perfectly functional electrical mains were at fault without having tested my mains or visited my home.

Finally I would ask him why they have such a problem matching LED colour and intensity. Although I think he might have walked off already.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I might get thrown out if I ask all this!

i don’t think the case is badly made. My ones are fine. The units don’t look like they are a luxurious finish for the high price ones, which is a fair criticism, as you could have a 6dac or a mono x300 and the price is 3 times as much but same case. But they are good enough and it goes back to the point about sound quality I’d say.

I don’t think any manufacturer would visit a customer at home to sort that out, they would probably leave it to the dealer. The leds are annoying. One thing they fall down on is the functionality of the units, it’s not great and their customer service is terrible but they leave it to dealers. But for all that they are fantastic sounding, especially top CD players and signature amps.

I wouldn’t expect them to visit my home, but I equally wouldn’t expect them to blame my home! Anyway, that was five or six years ago. Muchos water has passed under the bridge since then.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I might get thrown out if I ask all this!

i don’t think the case is badly made. My ones are fine. The units don’t look like they are a luxurious finish for the high price ones, which is a fair criticism, as you could have a 6dac or a mono x300 and the price is 3 times as much but same case. But they are good enough and it goes back to the point about sound quality I’d say.

I don’t think any manufacturer would visit a customer at home to sort that out, they would probably leave it to the dealer. The leds are annoying. One thing they fall down on is the functionality of the units, it’s not great and their customer service is terrible but they leave it to dealers. One thing is cyrus uncompromising attitude to send units to dealers rather than customers. If I lived in Cambridge but my dealer was in Glasgow, cyrus send the unit from Huntingdon (very near Cambridge) to Glasgow, then Glasgow send it to Cambridge. Or a repair to cyrus goes first from Cambridge to Glasgow, then Glasgow to Huntingdon, then Huntingdon...... Crazy.

But for all that they are fantastic sounding, especially top CD players and signature amps.

Gray

I wouldn't ask for, or expect a home visit either but that's exactly what I got from PMC.

In response to a cosmetic issue, their Sales Director personally called at my house and replaced my new speakers! Credit to them indeed.

With regard to Cyrus, all I can say is that a factory visit (in the distant past) was about as impressive as you could get (and I say that having briefly worked for MA and Rega (both impressive in their own ways)

Things may well have changed since of course but I've got no complaints with my 16 year old Cyrus amp.

A while ago, a single line verdict from a forumite simply stated that, 'Cyrus is s*it'. Then a couple of others agreed with him. Which made me smile (as things on here often do)

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The same thing happened to me with pmc Gray. As I’ve said before, they (Tom Barron) delivered new speakers to my home address after the dealer delivered ones I picked up had been dropped and dented.

Pmc Service is night and day to cyrus and they seem to care about the relationship more to the end user, even though the contract for sale is with the dealer. Cyrus don’t really care in that respect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts