Cyrus CD8 SE good match?

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

I've noticed on fleabay that Cyrus CD8 SE's seem to be going for a bit of a song recently. I'm wondering if one of these would be a good match for my Roksan Kandy K2 amp amp and Dali Royal Tower speakers? I was going to get the K2 CD player but for a couple of hundered quid more I could get the cyrus. It would be replacing a NAD 542 CD layer.

What do you think?

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, the royal towers aren't bright speakers and I'm getting a bit fed up with the NAD sound since I got the Kandy amp. I thought maybe the Cyrus would be a god balance against the kit I've now got.

Understand. It really boils down to how good your room acoustics are? If you want a instant impact CDP then Cyrus is great for that, but if you have long listening sessions Arcam, more neutral than Nad, is ideal. Likewise the Kandy K2 CDP.

On the other hand, if the Cyrus is a reaaly good price and you don't like the presentation, sell it on... you probably wouldn't lose much money.

Or if you like a more exciting listen without the extreme brightness the Audiolab's CD 8200 could be the perfect answer. It has the DAC, which may come in handy too.

Martinblueboy

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the a Roksan K2 amp and Audiolab 8200CD set up Plastic Penguin mentions above and couldn't recomend it enough. I can't comment on the Cyrus - I've not heard it. I upgraded from a Cambridge Audio 640C.V2 to the Audiolab. As much as I've loved the 640C, the Audiolab is magnificent. Better sound stage, better clarity, but without the brightness. I love being able to sit and listen and pick out the individual instruments. As PP mentions, the DAC facility is great too with the Squeezebox Touch. Not sure if this is helpful to the OP or not - I hope so.

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
The match of cyrus 8se, Kandy 111 and B&W CM8 delivers a truly dramatic sound stage. I have recently purchased my cyrus from fleabay and was blown away by the combo. Absolutely amazed and thrilled.

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies folks, so I'm thinking its between Arcam, Audiolab 8200 and the Kandy K2.

Which Arcam do you suggest? I'm looking for long-ish listening sessions that don't tire my ears. Plus I want a player that expands on the Kandy K2 amp's positives. Changing from my NAD to the kandy was like taking my head out of a bucket. Everything became clearer, sharper, better defined, wider sound stage.

subseastu said:
Thanks for the replies folks, so I'm thinking its between Arcam, Audiolab 8200 and the Kandy K2. Which Arcam do you suggest? I'm looking for long-ish listening sessions that don't tire my ears. Plus I want a player that expands on the Kandy K2 amp's positives. Changing from my NAD to the kandy was like taking my head out of a bucket. Everything became clearer, sharper, better defined, wider sound stage.

I'd be looking at Arcam's CD37 or the older CD192. Or even look at Exposure CD3010S2 (the 2010S is one of my favourite sub £1,000 CDPs) or even Rega Saturn.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Up until last week I had the kandy k2 CDP & Amp. Weirdly enough it was the amp I couldn't really settle with.

The CDP was a different proposition. I found it very accurate and dynamic. I like music like Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein etc. the CD presented this very well, but also something like Manic Street Preachers was incredibly sweet. Not sure there was much detail the k2 didn't uncover. I had the Roksan KC1 CDP before that. They really seem to have a knack with CD.

plus, you have the whole aesthetic, remote control for both as a bonus.

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
That is a good point as well, I can get a brand new fresh out of the box K2 CD player for £600. The aesthics things helps as well I suppose. I think I'll have a little bit of demoing to do.

subseastu

Sep 12, 2007
Visit site
That is basicaly what I'm looking so I think it'll be between an Arcam, Audiolab and the K2 CD. My only question is, is the Arcam CD 37 worth £500 or so more than the K2?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts