Cyrus Bi-Wiring

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi My Cyrus 8vs2 amplifier has two sets of speaker connections per left and right channel. I assume that the top ones are for tweeter and bottom set for woofer?

The dealer told me not to bother bi-wiring, just let the crossover in the speaker do the work. On the other hand, looking through Cyrus's web site, it looks like they bi-wire in their listening tests. Does this really make any difference?

In a single-wire configuration, some dealers have just the bottom pair of terminals connected, others have the top HF and the bottom LF connected only (like on a diagonal). I'm confused.

What do you guys recommend?

matthewpiano

Its a contentious issue but my preference is not to biwire. I've tried it several times with a range of equipment and found it doesn't really make any difference. Much better, IMO, to stick to a single run of decent speaker cable and spend the difference on a couple of CDs.

A

Anonymous

The two outputs on the Cyrus are exactly the same - they are wired together inside the box so it doesn't matter which you use.

Bi-wiring is often recommended by companies that sell speaker cable - I wonder why?

I've tried bi- and single-wiring on my speakers, not a jot of difference.

A

Anonymous

Septicman:Hi My Cyrus 8vs2 amplifier has two sets of speaker connections per left and right channel. I assume that the top ones are for tweeter and bottom set for woofer?
As has already been said, at the amplifier end the speaker terminals do not correspond to the individual frequency bands of "highs" (treble) & "lows" (bass). How ever many terminals there may be on the rear of an amplifier, blacks are negative and reds are positive, and each pair are internally wired in the same way.

The dealer told me not to bother bi-wiring
Don't take his/her word for it and decide for yourself. Perhaps the dealer could loan you an extra length of cable for you to try your set-up in both single-wire & bi-wire configuration?

Does this really make any difference?
There is definitely a DIFFERENCE. Whether or not you would call it an IMPROVEMENT is for the individual to decide. For myself, bi-wiring, (in fact my ATC-SCM35s are tri-wired) gives a VERY noticeable and VERY worthwhile improvement to the sound quality. Where the speaker is bi/tri/quad-wire capable I would always wire them that way, and have done so for the past 30 years.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Bi-wiring my Arcam 32 definately made a difference in my set up.

Not only did it make a difference using 4 terminals on the amplifier and bi-wiring 2 separate pairs of cable to the speakers terminals but also using by one set of terminals from the amplifier to the 4 speakers terminals.

Using 4 into 4 gave a much bigger soundstage and enhanced the treble no end. However in my smallish room it was over the top really and harder to follow the overall music flow.

The 2 into 4 was also much improved than just 1 cable and more coherent and balanced with greater bass punch in the mix. I had the choice of either method thanks to a dealer lending me both sets of cables and i went with 2x4 in the end.

So the dealers response is worth challenging. Whether it works for Cyrus remains to be answered. But in the Arcam set up it really did work a treat but needed some testing to find the best for the room. As already said it may not improve things as i preferred 1 good cable to 4x4 but 2x4 was by far the best.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your replies. Given that I have some spare speaker cable, I will give it a go to satisfy my curiosity.

A

Anonymous

I eventually gave the bi-wiring a go, using my usual Belden 5000UE, which is thick unshielded copper cable. The volume went up, the sound became horrendously detailed and very harsh and piercing. A swift return to single run cabling restored a very beautiful sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts