Cyrus 8XPD

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I am considering getting the Xyrus 8XPD amp to sit between Sonos ZP90 and my Leema Xero speakers. I had a demo yesterday, and was very impressed (even more so when I tried the Spendor SA1s but thats another upgrade story). However they do not stock the 8XPD Qx module version for demo, so I would not be able to hear this if I get it from them. As they are the only local Cyrus dealers, I am keen to support them if possible.

So, can anyone describe the difference in sound quality between the bog standard 8XPD and the 8XPD Qx? I would also be interested in comparisons to the standalone Cyrus DAC units too.

My music is about 50/50 lossless files from my NAS and Napster.

I listen to everything from Nine Inch Nails to Tori Amos.

Thanks in advance everyone

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I have the 8 XPD with the 'bog standard' DAC (which happens to be the same one as that used in the Naim HDX by the way).

If you have high quality sources, such as a decent Cd transport, then the Qx DAC will make very little difference. If you intend to use lower quality sources then the Qx DAC may be worth the investment, but the difference is not huge, as the standard DAC is very capable...

You are better spending the extra on a PSX-R to go with the 8 XPD in my opinion, which helps drive and clarity.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response.

My only source will be the Sonos system, no CD transport as such, although my music is primarily lossless files. I guess the biggest benefit to the Qx module would be for the Napster streaming then as only 192 kbit or thereabouts.

I am only allowed one box as this is the bedroom system, otherwise I would be looking at separate DACs and amps and have a much bigger choice, but point taken about the PSX-R.

I wasn't belittling the 8XPD DAC by the way, I was very impressed yesterday, to the extent that I am almost certainly going to have to get a standalone DAC now for my main system also! Heard details in low bitrate file that I don't hear on my main system, quite depressing actually!

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
The Qx DAC up-samples the incoming digital signal. Whilst this is likely to benefit lower quality files, it can't put back in what isn't there in the first place.

Assuming you are using lossless, as long as you have decent cables from your SONOS digital output, either standard DAC or Qx will sound great.

I think you need to make the argument that a Cyrus chassis is only half width, therefore an 8 XPD and PSX-R only takes up the room of a 'normal' sized component!!!

A

Anonymous

I think a bit differently. The Q DAC module will greater improve the sound. It is meant to be close to the DAC in the highly regarded CD8SE CD player.

The separate DAC-X is even better by the way but you would need more boxes for this configuration.

Try the cyrus unofficial forum for further advice.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I guess my point was that it doesn't matter how good the DAC is, if the incoming signal is garbage (ie compressed MP3), you are not going to get a great output (GIGO - garbage in garbage out).

Cyrus states that the performance of the Qx DAC should be compared to performance between the CD8SE and DAC X, with standard 8XPD DAC being comparable in performance to the CD6SE.

Don't for one moment think though that with compressed files, performance is going to approach anywhere near those players though (both objectively and subjectively).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts