Cyrus 6xp or Leema Pulse for RS6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
LevK83 said:
plastic pinguin Ok, thanks, I will listen this combination this Saturday, probably. More and more people suggest to change CDP, I wonder how then CA gets such a scores in professional reviews...confusing. Well, probably, that's what hi-fi cousine is all about. Thanks, guys!

Cambridge generally get good reviews because they are very good in their respective price bracket. However good a product doesn't necessarily mean they are compatible with other brands. As I explained in a earlier post, if you mix bright with bright you could end up with a sound resembling fingernails scratching down a blackboard. Likewise, if you partner warm with warm you'll probably end up with a sonic stodge. System matching can be tricky, however, some brands are easier to match than others.

System matching isn't an exact science.

Hope that helps...

LevK83 said:
hhfhfhf

Dear good sound lovers, can you give your opinion on which integrated amplifier to choose from either Leema Pulse or Cyrus 6XP for my Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. My CDP is CA 650C, I prefer to listen rock music, a bit of jazz and electronic. Maybe some other amplifiers will match me better, and of course cheeper amplifiers than those two would be a great plus. Thanks a lot!

Hi LevK83

Did you listen to RS6's befire you bought them? If so, what amplifier/s and source component/s were used? What were you impressions of these electronics?

Will anyone else also use the system? If so, their listening preferences?

What amplifier are you currently using?

Is there anything in particular which you would like the amplifier to have (such as headphone socket, mp3 input, tone controls, remote capability, phono input etc.)?

Room size?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Room floor (carpeted, wooden etc.)?

Listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Any specific power requirements?

What kind of presentation are you looking for the system to achieve?

Your overall budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
LevK83 said:
hhfhfhf

Dear good sound lovers, can you give your opinion on which integrated amplifier to choose from either Leema Pulse or Cyrus 6XP for my Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. My CDP is CA 650C, I prefer to listen rock music, a bit of jazz and electronic. Maybe some other amplifiers will match me better, and of course cheeper amplifiers than those two would be a great plus. Thanks a lot!

Hi LevK83

Did you listen to RS6's befire you bought them? If so, what amplifier/s and source component/s were used? What were you impressions of these electronics?

Is there anything in particular which you would like the amplifier to have (such as headphone socket, mp3 input, tone controls, remote capability, phono input etc.)?

Room size?

Listening distance?

Your overall budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT, thank you for the post.

Did you listen to RS6's befire you bought them? - - Not really, was first hi-fi purchase, so just used reviews.

Will anyone else also use the system? If so, their listening preferences? - - My girlfriend, seems she likes the same music (at least from what I observe).

What amplifier are you currently using? - - Denon AVR-1907.

Is there anything in particular which you would like the amplifier to have (such as headphone socket, mp3 input, tone controls, remote capability, phono input etc.)? - - I plan to put through the pre-amp out from Av-receiver when watching 5.1 movies. Headphones probably also in future could be good. Nothing else is critical...

Room size? - - 18 m2, a lot of furniture, laminated flooring, carpet 50% of square.

Listening distance? - - 3-4 meters

Your general listening level? - - if to refer to what denon screen says, it's from -20 to - 30 dB.

Any specific power requirements? - - Just want to get the best from RS6 (6 Ohms, 120W as manual says maximum input power).

What kind of presentation are you looking for the system to achieve? - - Clear, bright and warm sound, good distinctive staging, maximum of true details, but in the same time unbroken in pieces (that's really hard to put in words, honestly).

Well, up to 1600 euros but would prefer to stay in 1000 (there is girlfriend factor ;) ).

Thank you very much!

LevK83 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
LevK83 said:
hhfhfhf

Hi LevK83

Room size?

Listening distance?

Your overall budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT, thank you for the post. Did you listen to RS6's befire you bought them? - - Not really, was first hi-fi purchase, so just used reviews. Will anyone else also use the system? If so, their listening preferences? - - My girlfriend, seems she likes the same music (at least from what I observe). What amplifier are you currently using? - - Denon AVR-1907. Is there anything in particular which you would like the amplifier to have (such as headphone socket, mp3 input, tone controls, remote capability, phono input etc.)? - - I plan to put through the pre-amp out from Av-receiver when watching 5.1 movies. Headphones probably also in future could be good. Nothing else is critical... Room size? - - 18 m2, a lot of furniture, laminated flooring, carpet 50% of square. Listening distance? - - 3-4 meters Your general listening level? - - if to refer to what denon screen says, it's from -20 to - 30 dB. Any specific power requirements? - - Just want to get the best from RS6 (6 Ohms, 120W as manual says maximum input power). What kind of presentation are you looking for the system to achieve? - - Clear, bright and warm sound, good distinctive staging, maximum of true details, but in the same time unbroken in pieces (that's really hard to put in words, honestly). Well, up to 1600 euros but would prefer to stay in 1000 (there is girlfriend factor ;) ). Thank you very much!

Considering you have carpets and lots of furniture then the Leema Pulse will bring the best from the MAs. Also it has a headphone socket, MM and MC phono stage and inputs that would shame a telephone 'Call Centre'. It has an A/V input for receivers too.

Others to look at are Arcam FMJ A18: great synergy with MAs but won't have the overall ability of the Leema. Roksan Kandy K2 is another cracking option. The Creek Evo 2 is brilliant but doesn't have the inputs of the others.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
LevK83 said:
Plastic pinguin I find explanation above very clear and helpful. Have a good price proposal from local shop for Musical Fidelity M3i. What is your opinion, will this amp match my system or not really good choice? Thank you!

The MF M series is clean, clear, musical and revealing..closer to the Leema than the Arcam.

It may not "mask" the brightness of your CD player but pass it on...can you borrow it and see how you find it.

Make sure you don't jump into another misjudged purchase, without at least trying the Arcam or Peachtree (I'm with PP on this one).

Cno

CnoEvil said:
LevK83 said:
Plastic pinguin I find explanation above very clear and helpful. Have a good price proposal from local shop for Musical Fidelity M3i. What is your opinion, will this amp match my system or not really good choice? Thank you!

The MF M series is clean, clear, musical and revealing..closer to the Leema than the Arcam. It may not "mask" the brightness of your CD player but pass it on...can you borrow it and see how you find it. Make sure you don't jump into another misjudged purchase, without at least trying the Arcam or Peachtree (I'm with PP on this one). Cno

Thanks CnoEvil - MF is one brand I've not heard...:~

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
LevK83 said:

The MF M series is clean, clear, musical and revealing..closer to the Leema than the Arcam. It may not "mask" the brightness of your CD player but pass it on...can you borrow it and see how you find it. Make sure you don't jump into another misjudged purchase, without at least trying the Arcam or Peachtree (I'm with PP on this one). Cno

PP

If you get a chance, just out of interest, try to get a listen to:

M6 500i (500 wpc)
AMS 35i (IMO best amp under £10k)

....both are very intriguing products.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
LevK83 said:

PP If you get a chance, just out of interest, try to get a listen to: M6 500i (500 wpc) AMS 35i (IMO best amp under £10k) ....both are very intriguing products.

Noo noo! I'm a recognised hi-fi stalker. There are one or two retailers near me who know me well for testing at home countless amps. Plus Mrs p would go 'ape' if I came through the door with another amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
PP

Nobody mentioned bringing it in through the door! :)

If they have one set up....give it a listen....just out of curiosity...no intention to buy.. :love:

A

Anonymous

Hello again, everyone!

Having received so nice comments from all of you, I went this weekend on listening to the gear.

I should say that listening experience is also quite a challenge: you have to deal with the desire to have all right now, prejudgements, pressure of retailers, tiredness, even with own memory, logical thinking, feelings and perception. Should also mention that I hate to deceive expectations of others, saying something like "ok, guys, I'll think over and come back if decide, etc."

So, I decided to compare Leema Pulse MKII, Musical Fidelity M3i, Roksan Candy K2 and Arcam A28, applying for a time in show room. I took my RS6 with my QED Silver cable. Unfortunately, local seller didn't have Roksan available, finally it came out that there are no any in the city at all until the 2nd half of May.

Pulse was not bad, dynamic, distinctive, pulled together, but I would not say that it was that much clear and bright on highs, what is aprreciated by me in music listening (I remember in fact how in early 90s I used a little screw-driver to fine-tune the position of magnetic head in my tape player to get the clearest high frequencies possible ... ;). There was no Van Damme cable, unfortunately. I tried to switch to copper cable, it was one of Nordosts, of quite a price (about 1/3 of Pulse's price). It was a quite impressive change with a lot of added in the mids and lows. Anyway, as I said, I couldn't here the highs that sharp as before and probably was a bit missing them to get out the wallet and pay the sum.

Then came Musical Fidelity, and the sound was seeming better. I don't know, at least brighter and sharper, than Leema. It was also 500 euros less expensive. Nevertheless, I couldn't make my mind, because there was no Roksan, or Arcam A28, or Creek Evo2 available. And no Peachtree as well. So I decided not to hurry and go to next shop. Unfortunately, there were not many options around, since I couldn't find any Roksan in the city, and just went to hear Arcam A28. To be short, it played the music flat and with no expression, from my point of view.

But than things changed and I should say it was a literally day break. I mean, really...There was something looking very nice standing on the shelves of this little shop, and with quite in my budget (about 1500 euros). The gear was called Vincent, I never heard of that. In fact, I was never investigating this part of hi-fi market before because of usual price level for this kind of staff. It was nicely looking silver metal box with tubes on top, so I asked the guy if I could listen to that as well. He told me about this brand (German origin and design, Chinese subcontractor fab to produce) and turned that on. It was great sound, believe me or not, but it was better than anything I heard that day. I was different in nature, with more sound shapes and warmth, clear and just nice. The model was called T.A.C.-88, it had 55 W per channel, and we plugged it I think with 8 Ohms output.

We also tried hybrid amplifier of the same brand (SV-226MKII), about the same price. Was also very impressive and clear sound, sometimes just too clear, all the instruments were heard so bright, about to say separated from one another. It was a minus in comparison with fully tubed. But still very musical, and what was obvious, more powerful (2x100/8 ohms; 2x200/4 ohms).

I also tried one integrated amplifier Hegel from Norway, and it was also quite interesting product. Never heard of them before, but the sound was very neutral and clear. Again the price was around 1500 euros...

We used Nordost expensive cabling (500 euros) and cheeper Black Rhodium which I after all purchased (Jiva).

So everything was looking good for this Vincent product, but one thing was making me cautious - it's production origin and price. I understand that labour cost in China is very low, but I'm not sure it's very nice idea to get the best edges of such thin matters in so industrialized and not very well fed country. Also all these notorious quality issues, tracing China, makes it a little bit risky...I don't know, of course, in our age of automatic machines maybe it's too exaggerated difference between "Made in UK" label vs "Made in China".

But the staff was musical and so affordable!

So, I don't know. Money is still with me, I listen music still with Denon AV-receiver, but with the new copper wire (by the way, begin to like the sound more and more, are cables working better after one day?)

Maybe, someone has unbeatable arguments against Vincent? Will really appreciate because I seem internally to be close to buy that.

I also have some questions:

- during testing tube amplifier, left side was pickng heat faster than right side. I tested three different CD's, the effect was the same. Also after turning it off for a while and after half hour turning it back on, the left speaker gained sound faster than right one. I was a bit suspicious, but the guys in the shop were no concern about it. Does anyone know if that is abnormal?

- the tubes are something that can be improved if I'm not wrong? Can I increase the power of such amplifier or that's it what I get now? Just not sure that RS6 which are nominal 120W with 6 Ohms will show everything with 55W/8Ohms Vincent.

- for by-passing the signal through amplifier from Av-receiver the guy in the shop said just to use usual inputs, not a phono in input. Is it so?

- hybrid amplifier has a little bit scaring spec 100W/8ohms, 200W/4 Ohms. Any danger to RS6 with 120/6 Ohms specs?

- can I improve tubes in hybrid purifier later?

I hope for your experienced advice and thoughts for me to make a right choice. Thank you very much!

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil

Thank you for feedback. It answers my questions, but leaves with headache...I want to buy something once, ideally, without need for change in future. But I cannot afford 4-5K for high end amplifer right now...

Maybe, best way to go is to split the costs in two, and buy, for example, very good integrated amplifier like Leema, Roksan or Peachtree, for instance, and then very good pre-amp with tubes only? Will it be better than purchasing hybrid (Vincent) at the same price level as integrated only (Leema, etc.)?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Given that you are now finding out what you like, I wouldn't buy a "compromise" product, as you will only end up changing it down the road..costing you as much as if you got it right first time.

It is possible to get a musical sound without spending £4k - £5k.

Now that I know where to focus the recommendation, try to get a listen to a Sugden A21 AL (£1649). It's Class A, very musical, well built and looks great. The list of dealers is on the website. I think it would serve your purposes for the forseeable.

It may be a little more than you were going to spend, but if you love it, money may be saved in the future by avoiding "upgradeitus".

As you say, the Peachtree is always a possibility....but I've a feeling the Sugden may be a better fit than anything else (possibly bar the Vincent tube amp)

Keep doing what your doing, and try to get a demo..and report back.

Cno

A

Anonymous

Thank you! It is exactly my concern - entering the race with small steps and trying to catch up the horizon. Will be too exhaustive to waste money and buying new and then selling with discount...But in the same time, Sagden is just 20 watts, while Vincent is 55 per channel on 8 Ohms...

LevK83 said:
Thank you! It is exactly my concern - entering the race with small steps and trying to catch up the horizon. Will be too exhaustive to waste money and buying new and then selling with discount...But in the same time, Sagden is just 20 watts, while Vincent is 55 per channel on 8 Ohms...

CnoEvil is spot-on when he says you finding out what you like (and don't like). Likewise, going for a compromise amp/set-up is okay short-term, but after a while you'll start to question the decision.

One piece of useful advice: If you're looking for an 'Instant Impact' sounding amp, like a compromise, you could question it over a longer period. The point really is for example the Arcam A38 (which I've not heard) is an amp that DOESN'T hit you between the eyes straight away - it grows slowly on you.

*Sorry, haven't explained properly: I've had Arcam amps for the past 14 years and only recently changed to Leema. The first time I heard an Arcam amp I wasn't that impressed.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
LevK83 said:

The Sugden being solid state Class A, has a lot of current behind it (always drawing max amps from the mains), and so is much more powerful than it looks on paper.

I think it would have no problem driving your speakers to reasonable levels...certainly worth a demo. I think there are people on here using it with Spendor A6...which are not that efficient.

I have a Musical Fidelity AMS 35i (class A), which on paper has "only" 35 watts.... it has no problem driving Kef Reference speakers (which can drop to nearly 3 ohms), in a large room, as well as a 200w amp.

What I'm saying is that only looking at watts per channel can be misleading, especially where SS class A is concerned.

Regards
Cno

A

Anonymous

Today got my amplifier. I stopped at Vincent finally, which was very nice listening experience to me at the shop.

I don't know if it's kind of psyhological effect after finally the cow leaked away 2000 euros from my bank account, or it's listener, along with amplifiers, speakers and even cables who needs some time to reach the right sound level with the new gear, or maybe it's just the end of three days off and tomorrow's work expectation...But the thing is that suddenly I began to feel uncomfortable with the sound. Will have to wait a little bit, probably, I hope.

In fact, I listened today again Leema Pulse, Rogue Audio Chronos Magnum, Vincent T.A.C.-88 (fully tubed), Vincent 226MK2 and this one, which is Vincent 236SV. I was tired and lazy to get my RS6 back in the car again, and just went to see Rogue, which by the phone was described as nice budget tube amplifier. In the show room it was connected to RX6 as quite close to RS6. The source was CA 550C, then I asked to swith to better one, they brought Leema Stream. Well, I was not that much impressed, especially the highs were a bit dimmed and not dynamic, though generally I liked that tube softness and feel of dimensions.

In the other shop with Vincent, system was installed with Focal speakers which were maybe three times more expensive than my RS6, and also quite good and solidly looking copper cabling. Vincent was very musical, very transparent, with distinctive highs. T.A.C. model was better due to the tube sound from musical point of view, hybrid model 226MK2 was more agressive and powerful. Still didn't like too bright highs, and a little bit overhelming "sh-sh-sch"-s, going too long and distorted...When model 236SV was turned on, seemed much better sound. Still it was not that musical to me as T.A.C.-88, but it had clarity, solid lows and performance generally. Also it's a class A amplifier in 10W, and of attractive design.

But now, while listening at home, I'm a bit in torture. Was it right choice and all that kind of thoughts...

Does anyone have any kind of advice or I should apply to the sites more related to psychiatry? ;)

Anyway, still have an option to give it back and take something else, but will it really help, or I'll have the same doubts after any gear purchased?

Maybe a sleep will help.

Wish you all the best.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi LevK

IMO. You are suffering a classic case of "demo fatigue" followed by doubt and probably guilt..you can get into a sort of haze and just buy.

In the middle of this madness...you sensibly retained the option of returning the amp....so there isn't anything to worry about.

Find out for how long you can hold onto the amp and still return it, and then live with it. If you are not thrilled...return it and continue the hunt...don't feel pressured into buying.

Try to understand why it sounded better at the dealers ie. using expensive cables, speakers or mains conditioning/power leads etc.

Am I right in thinking that you ended up with a hybrid Vincent?

A Full Valve amp sounds very addictive, but I don't know if the 10w would drive your speakers.

If your sound isn't right with a whole variety of amps...then the problem lies elsewhere.

As you have said, it may look better in the morning.

Cno

LevK83 said:
Today got my amplifier. I stopped at Vincent finally, which was very nice listening experience to me at the shop.

I don't know if it's kind of psyhological effect after finally the cow leaked away 2000 euros from my bank account, or it's listener, along with amplifiers, speakers and even cables who needs some time to reach the right sound level with the new gear, or maybe it's just the end of three days off and tomorrow's work expectation...But the thing is that suddenly I began to feel uncomfortable with the sound. Will have to wait a little bit, probably, I hope.

In fact, I listened today again Leema Pulse, Rogue Audio Chronos Magnum, Vincent T.A.C.-88 (fully tubed), Vincent 226MK2 and this one, which is Vincent 236SV. I was tired and lazy to get my RS6 back in the car again, and just went to see Rogue, which by the phone was described as nice budget tube amplifier. In the show room it was connected to RX6 as quite close to RS6. The source was CA 550C, then I asked to swith to better one, they brought Leema Stream. Well, I was not that much impressed, especially the highs were a bit dimmed and not dynamic, though generally I liked that tube softness and feel of dimensions.

In the other shop with Vincent, system was installed with Focal speakers which were maybe three times more expensive than my RS6, and also quite good and solidly looking copper cabling. Vincent was very musical, very transparent, with distinctive highs. T.A.C. model was better due to the tube sound from musical point of view, hybrid model 226MK2 was more agressive and powerful. Still didn't like too bright highs, and a little bit overhelming "sh-sh-sch"-s, going too long and distorted...When model 236SV was turned on, seemed much better sound. Still it was not that musical to me as T.A.C.-88, but it had clarity, solid lows and performance generally. Also it's a class A amplifier in 10W, and of attractive design.

But now, while listening at home, I'm a bit in torture. Was it right choice and all that kind of thoughts...

Does anyone have any kind of advice or I should apply to the sites more related to psychiatry? ;)

Anyway, still have an option to give it back and take something else, but will it really help, or I'll have the same doubts after any gear purchased?

Maybe a sleep will help.

Wish you all the best.

STOP NOW!! Take a step back and listen to the music and don't analyse. BTW, it took me the best part of two years to decide on the Leema. Been there, got the T-Shirt, bought the video...

A

Anonymous

Thanks, friends! It sounds better in the morning, by the way.

I think also that the power supply cords were much greater in the shop.

CnoEvil, I got hybrid Vincent, it is 10W per channel in Class A, I think 25 in Class AB. Nominal ouput is 200W for 4 ohms.

A

Anonymous

One thing which buzzes in my head now is the signal-noise ratio. It's only 80 dB, which seems low in comparison with 90 dB for T.A.C-88 tube amplifier and 100 dB for Leema Pulse. Can it be that aspect which bothers me while listening or shouldn't?

Also just to think for future, could pre-amplifier change the way the system will sound? Do I need one, maybe tubed, to make it of better feel? Also what about the source? Worth spending more money than my current CA 650C?

LevK83 said:
One thing which buzzes in my head now is the signal-noise ratio. It's only 80 dB, which seems low in comparison with 90 dB for T.A.C-88 tube amplifier and 100 dB for Leema Pulse. Can it be that aspect which bothers me while listening or shouldn't?

Also just to think for future, could pre-amplifier change the way the system will sound? Do I need one, maybe tubed, to make it of better feel? Also what about the source? Worth spending more money than my current CA 650C?

What size is your room? and do you listen at low volumes or wall shaking levels?

My Arcam was only 40 watts but I rarely took it beyond 9 o'clock on the dial. It's more important to get the watts right rather than worrying too much about dbs IMHO.

A

Anonymous

Plastic Penguin, thanks for response. Room is 18 m2. No, I listen at 8-9 o'clock. Got a conversation with a dealer, and he recognized that intercomponent was used very expensive (NordOst TYR) as well as power cables better than ordinary. Can it be that influensive to the sound? My current interconnect is Van Der Hul of something like 70 euros for 1,5 m. Power cabling is default.

LevK83 said:
Plastic Penguin, thanks for response. Room is 18 m2. No, I listen at 8-9 o'clock. Got a conversation with a dealer, and he recognized that intercomponent was used very expensive (NordOst TYR) as well as power cables better than ordinary. Can it be that influensive to the sound? My current interconnect is Van Der Hul of something like 70 euros for 1,5 m. Power cabling is default.

I think from memory (details in attic) the RS6s are suitable for amps between 15-120 watts. If you're using a 10 watt amp you're in danger of causing problems for the MAs.

Might be worth emailing Monitor Audio: http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/home and check with them on the RS6s sonic tolerances. I know when I spoke to them just after Xmas they recommended Leema, Arcam and Roksan (with the RS range not RX).

A

Anonymous

Don't get it...Nominal power of the amp I've purchased is 150W/4 ohms, and just 10W are for Class A. As I understand, 10W is just a part of 150, right? I never use it on 10W only...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I now think you are suffering from information overload. :~

I have looked on the Vincent website, and am a bit clearer now...although some of the models Nos don't quite match up....maybe updated versions:

226 mk 11................100w into 8 ohms / 200w into 4ohms

SV 236 MK (tube line)....150w into 8 ohms / 250w into 4 0hms.
Nb. The first 10w of the available power are in Class A...but the amp has ample power due to it's hybrid design.

This amp was upgraded and given 50w more power...check out the stereophile review, where it says it didn't embarrass itself vs a Dartzeel at 25 times the price....v. impressive.

I think this should prove an excellent choice, and if there are problems, it may not be the amp. To put your mind at rest you should listen to a Sugden.

You will get very different views on the effects of cables....but IMO they can make a substantial difference (which is why I mentioned it).
I suggest you ask to borrow the same cables and try them...if they return the sound to what you heard....at least you know that you can get the sound you want with their purchase at any time in the future.

FWIW I think you have been clever with your amp selection, and other than possibly the Sugden, you are unlikely to get better for the money.

I didn't see the tube amp (TAC 88) only a SV 234 10w tube amp

Regards

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts