Cyrus 6xp or Leema Pulse for RS6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hhfhfhf

Dear good sound lovers, can you give your opinion on which integrated amplifier to choose from either Leema Pulse or Cyrus 6XP for my Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. My CDP is CA 650C, I prefer to listen rock music, a bit of jazz and electronic. Maybe some other amplifiers will match me better, and of course cheeper amplifiers than those two would be a great plus. Thanks a lot!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Your answers will depend on whether the person responding likes Cyrus or not.

For me personally, it's a no brainer......Leema all the way, especially as the previous model is such good value at the moment.

Cno

LevK83 said:
hhfhfhf

Dear good sound lovers, can you give your opinion on which integrated amplifier to choose from either Leema Pulse or Cyrus 6XP for my Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. My CDP is CA 650C, I prefer to listen rock music, a bit of jazz and electronic. Maybe some other amplifiers will match me better, and of course cheeper amplifiers than those two would be a great plus. Thanks a lot!

Not heard the latest generation of Cyrus, look at my sig and you'll know the answer.

The Cyrus 8VS2 and it sounded good (very good with vocals) although wasn't the all-rounder. Also I'd avoid Cyrus with your CDP.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the answers. Leema, looking at specs, has only one line out for the speakers, does it mean I will not have bi-wiring? I have it currently with my AV-receiver and it sounds good, so I would like to keep bi-amp...

Also, it is strange for me to see that Leema Pulse II is around 200 euros cheaper than Leema Pulse in my local shop, do you know why? Is it better to buy first model then?

What do you think also of Arcam FMJ A28, which is about the same price?

Really appreciate your advice, since want to make good objective choice. Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Personally I wouldn't let the bi-wire possibility influence your choice of amplifier. Go to a dealer with your speakers and try a bi-wire test - I doubt very much you will be able to hear the difference when working with kit at this level.

Have a look around the forum, you will find many arguments around cabling and bi-wiring.

Personally I like Cyrus and the upgrade options you have to build on it in the future but I don't know about the Leema.

LevK83 said:
Thank you for the answers. Leema, looking at specs, has only one line out for the speakers, does it mean I will not have bi-wiring? I have it currently with my AV-receiver and it sounds good, so I would like to keep bi-amp... Also, it is strange for me to see that Leema Pulse II is around 200 euros cheaper than Leema Pulse in my local shop, do you know why? Is it better to buy first model then? What do you think also of Arcam FMJ A28, which is about the same price? Really appreciate your advice, since want to make good objective choice. Thanks!

I don't know the difference between Pulse and Pulse MKII. I've been told I have the MKII (recently defunct model), replaced by the current MKIII, which includes the DAC. Not the faintest idea about the earlier Pulses, and not many do, apparently.

Don't get hung up on the bi-wire aspect. Very overrated.

The Pulse MKII is a lovely mix, sonically, between the lovely organic sound of Arcam and the attack and precision of Cyrus. The only caveat is your CDP. I've not heard Cambridge CDPs, but many have said it mirrors their budget amps, can be slightly spikey in the top-end. If it is it may cause problems with RS6s feisty treble and the Leema's sparkly presentation.

Personal recommendations, outside of Leema: Arcam FMJ A18 and Creek Evo MKII. Both are cheaper than the Leema - the Pulse MKII still has deals here - but both lack the overall abilities of the Leema.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for replies, though sounds a bit devastating news about CA. I was quite confident when purchased it one year ago, it had such a beatiful press and reviews, though it's not that expensive (last year it was tougher financially).

It's clear for Bi-Wire, will not really bother then.

Do I understand right that my configuration of CA+RS6+Leema will be too bright, sparkling and sharp, and I definitely will not have a good match and need to change to another CDP?
By the way, am not sure if it makes that much of difference, I have QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire to hook-up speakers. Better to change or not, what is your opinion?

Thanks for kind advice!

LevK83 said:
Thank you for replies, though sounds a bit devastating news about CA. I was quite confident when purchased it one year ago, it had such a beatiful press and reviews, though it's not that expensive (last year it was tougher financially). It's clear for Bi-Wire, will not really bother then. Do I understand right that my configuration of CA+RS6+Leema will be too bright, sparkling and sharp, and I definitely will not have a good match and need to change to another CDP? By the way, am not sure if it makes that much of difference, I have QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire to hook-up speakers. Better to change or not, what is your opinion? Thanks for kind advice!

The Monitor Audio RS6s can sound bright because of their metal domed tweeter. If you pair bright or lively with a likeminded source and amp, especially if your room acoustics are reflective e.g. hard flooring, it could sound a little "glassy" or a little too edgy.

My system works really well because I have a warm CDP and we have lush carpets, wallpaper and lots of soft furniture.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
LevK83 said:
Thank you for replies, though sounds a bit devastating news about CA. I was quite confident when purchased it one year ago, it had such a beatiful press and reviews, though it's not that expensive (last year it was tougher financially). It's clear for Bi-Wire, will not really bother then. Do I understand right that my configuration of CA+RS6+Leema will be too bright, sparkling and sharp, and I definitely will not have a good match and need to change to another CDP? By the way, am not sure if it makes that much of difference, I have QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire to hook-up speakers. Better to change or not, what is your opinion? Thanks for kind advice!

This would be my advice.

In GB the Leema pulse can be bought for the following prices:

Pulse 111....£995 (Audio Oasis)
Pulse........£749 (Sevevoaks)
Pulse........£499 (2nd hand in good nick Kronos AV)

Sell your CA and along with the saving on the Leema, buy a Rega Appolo (or failing that Marantz or Nad CD players)

Change s/c for some Van Damme UP LC-OFC.

IMO That would leave you with a well balanced musical system without breaking the bank.

Cno

My choice would be: Pulse either £499 (depending on warranty) or Sevenoaks £749, Arcam CD192. These can be picked up for as little as £280.00. Leema and Arcam is a superb match. If Arcam doesn't appeal then Rotel RCD 965BX or 975 would be equally as good.

Can't comment on Rega, Nad or the later Marantz CDPs.

A

Anonymous

Ok, sounds like CA for RS6 was wrong guess. Still, I don't like these trading operations, but will try. What could be best solution if I stay with CA then? Any good amp to compensate "glassiness"?

LevK83 said:
Ok, sounds like CA for RS6 was wrong guess. Still, I don't like these trading operations, but will try. What could be best solution if I stay with CA then? Any good amp to compensate "glassiness"?

No idea of your room acoustics, but a safer choice would be my earlier choice: Arcam DIVA range or A18 (not heard the other FMJ series amps) or Creek Evo MKII. Both are ever-so-slightly warmer, and both are great with RS6s. The thorn in my side is the Cambridge. I'm not pivvy to Cambridge CDPs so have no idea of their presentation.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
LevK83 said:

Here would be my suggestions:

Peachtree (switchable class A).......Decco 2 (£850); iDecco (£999); Nova £1100
Arcam A28 (Sevenoaks - Nottingham)...........(£700)..on offer
Arcam A38 (Oxford Audio).....................(£1185).on offer
Arcam FMJ C31 Pre/P1 power (S'oaks - Poole)..(£1798).....was £2948
Primare I30 (Oxford Audio)...................(£1250)..on offer

As I said before, a change in speaker cable to Van Damme is very cheap, and should help take the edge off.

FWIW I think this is the wrong way to go, but any of the above amps (especially the Peachtree)will make a big difference.......but do try for yourself if possible.

Cno

A

Anonymous

Ok, gentlemen, thank you very much for your time and advice. I probably will take some time in show room this week-end to compare the possibilities.
Thank you very much!

A

Anonymous

i don't think using a CA cdp with your speakers would be a problem at all, get the amp matching right and you should be fine imo..

A

Anonymous

What's right amp, in your opinion? People suggest Arcam, I begin lean to this amp, what do you think?

A

Anonymous

LevK83 said:
What's right amp, in your opinion? People suggest Arcam, I begin lean to this amp, what do you think?
hi, i wouldn't have a clue about what the best amp may be, i just can't see how a cambridge audio cdp will be a problem, imo most cdps sound similar, i doubt if using one with a pair of rs6s would result in an overly bright sound, once you don't use an overly bright sounding amp..

A

Anonymous

I don't know, I'm not that experienced in choosing hi-fi, it's my first set ever I possess, so just don't want to make bad choice. So better to rely on opinion of experienced people, and partly on own ears, which again, I don't completely trust in the moment of purchase.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn said:
LevK83 said:
hi, i wouldn't have a clue about what the best amp may be, i just can't see how a cambridge audio cdp will be a problem, imo most cdps sound similar, i doubt if using one with a pair of rs6s would result in an overly bright sound, once you don't use an overly bright sounding amp..

I mostly agree with this (except I find CD players can sound very different). You can, by in large, mitigate a lot of the imbalance with a warmer amp....try the Peachtree...but do try a few from those listed above.

The only reason for my comment, is that I'm very particular about getting the source correct. If it's not right, it can cause a series compromises to re-balance the sound, and a loss of info here is never made up.

Saying that, don't worry about it....find a combination that you like and go for it.

Good luck

Cno

maxflinn said:
LevK83 said:

The general concensus by dealers and WHFI reviewers is that it's better to have a balanced source + bright amp rather than vice versa. Certainly from personal experience that theory tends to stand up. From what I hear the Cambridge CDP can be bright sounding, mixed with likeminded speakers and a fast neutral amp and it could result in a overly bright sound. Moreover, I think the Leema with a 640 CDP maybe a slight overkill - I recently found this with Arcam CD73. To make the most of the Pulse you'll need as an absolute minimum Exposure 2010S or Audiolab 8200.

A

Anonymous

Plastic pinguin I find explanation above very clear and helpful. Have a good price proposal from local shop for Musical Fidelity M3i. What is your opinion, will this amp match my system or not really good choice? Thank you!

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Since your main favourites are rock music, a bit of jazz and electronics I would suggest you also consider NAD 355BEE which matches quite well with your MA RS6.

LevK83 said:
Plastic pinguin I find explanation above very clear and helpful. Have a good price proposal from local shop for Musical Fidelity M3i. What is your opinion, will this amp match my system or not really good choice? Thank you!

I've not heard this particular MF, but if it's anything like older MFs then it should match. However, it is a pure guesswork. Can you not listen to it with your RS6s and Cambridge?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
completely different kit and might have absolutely no bearing on your kit, but my cousin had a cambridge 640 and musical fidelity a5 - very bright combo. i'd try pp's suggestion of arcam or maybe nad. actually, no, what i'd do is change the cdp if the 650 is as bright as the 640.

A

Anonymous

plastic pinguin
Ok, thanks, I will listen this combination this Saturday, probably.

More and more people suggest to change CDP, I wonder how then CA gets such a scores in professional reviews...confusing. Well, probably, that's what hi-fi cousine is all about.

Thanks, guys!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts