Cyrus 6 and Monitor Audio GS10 combo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, Recently put these 2 together (with Cyrus CD6S) and wanted to report what a fantastic detailed sound they produce (around 50hrs playtime so far). I'll confess upfront that I prefer a slightly more forward sound and that soundstage and detail are more important than bass. Certainly lots of detail forthcoming, and some nice 'textures' coming out the speakers (kings of leon's first lp particularly good). The only very slight disappointment is the lack of precision in percussion which isn't as sparkling or elevated from the rest of the music - but I put this down to either a. running in or b. speaker stands not firm/heavy enough (partington trophy filled with atabites) - wife would not suffer the look of the part' broadsides - would the MA matched pair be superior? However my main question was that I was thinking about upgrading the amplifier and not altogether certain of the sonic merits and value for money of the various choices - factory upgrade to an 8, psx-r and use of the 8 power - any advice/experience? Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think those stands are fine. The Monitor Audio ones are beautifully made and look the bizzo, but don't think they'd bring any great sonic benefits over you filled Trophies. Give them another 50 hours or so and they'll be lovely!

I'd go for the 'add a power amp option'. Having tried these speakers biwired and biamped when I reviewed them for Gramophone, I think biamping definitely adds scale and control to the sound of what are already very fine speakers.

A

Anonymous

Actually Andrew it was your review that drove me to audition the GS10's in the first place so thanks!

At the inevitable risk of sounding dim, what do you mean by bi-amping? And based on the Cyrus kit I have, what does the equipment requirement/set up look like?

Many thanks,

Wayne

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It woukld require you to purchase a Cyrus power amp which connected to your Cyrus integrated 6 amp, will provide amp power to each of the driver units seperately

You can have the integrated amp powering the tweeters and the power amp will power the mid/bass drivers, or vice-versa.

The 2 amps are connected just like a CD player to amp, with interconnects.

If you do bi-amp (2 amps) you will hear more in your music as they allow the sound stage to be opened up just that bit further

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Biamping - separate amp channels for each drive unit.

Add a power amp to your existing integrated, using the preamp outputs on the 6 to drive the power amp.

Remove the jumper bars between the two sets of terminals on the back of the speakers.

Connect a run of speaker cable from the left channel outputs on the integrated to the upper, high frequency terminals on the left speaker, and a run of speaker cable from the left channel output on the power amp to the same speaker's lower, bass terminals.

Repeat for the right channels throughout, and you now have the integrated powering only the treble of the two speakers, and the power amp feeding only the mid/bass.

Result? Tighter, cleaner, more focused sound, with punchier bass.

A

Anonymous

Thanks both for the advice - I presume we're talking about a Cyrus 6 Power as the power amp? Is it your opinion that this will this give me a bigger improvement for my money than a factory upgrade to an 8vs integrated amp? Or if it's longer term upgrading should I go for the 8vs upgrade now and add an 8 power to this later?

Sorry lots of questions, but based on your thoughts I was going to get a local dealer to lend me the appropriate hardware this weekend for an audition.

Cheers

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd go for the Cyrus 6 power amp for the time being, you dont need the upgrade to the 8 series just yet

If you end up going for larger speakers, then the upgrade to the 8 system would be ideal

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
6 Power should be fine, but if you're considering the upgrade to the integrated, probably worth buying the 8 Power now to use with the 6 integrated, then doing the upgrade when funds allow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts