CXA60 vs Marantz range (PM6006, 7005, 8005)

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

So it's widely accepted that the Cambridge CXA60 is a fantastic buy at its' price point.

WHF? reviewed the unit at £500, and noted that, in comparison to the £400 Marantz PM6006, the difference in sonic quality was pretty clear. At those prices, the CXA60 would have been well worth the additional £100 outlay.

Prices have changed substantially, however.

The CXA60 now retails at £579, while the Marantz PM6006 is down to £279. The PM7005 is now available for £489, and the PM8005 for £599.

At those prices, would you consider the CXA60 to be worth the additional outlay? And, to anyone with experience of these amps, how does the CXA60 stack up against the PM7005 and PM8005? Obviously they're supposed to be better-performing than the PM6006, but I do understand that the PM8005 is really aimed at a different market to the 6 and 7 range due to the 'brighter' signature and lack of digital inputs.

Does anyone have any experience with these units or any thoughts on this?

Joseph.

gasolin

theexcitableboy said:
Hi all,

So it's widely accepted that the Cambridge CXA60 is a fantastic buy at its' price point.

WHF? reviewed the unit at £500, and noted that, in comparison to the £400 Marantz PM6006, the difference in sonic quality was pretty clear. At those prices, the CXA60 would have been well worth the additional £100 outlay.

Prices have changed substantially, however.

The CXA60 now retails at £579, while the Marantz PM6006 is down to £279. The PM7005 is now available for £489, and the PM8005 for £599.

At those prices, would you consider the CXA60 to be worth the additional outlay? And, to anyone with experience of these amps, how does the CXA60 stack up against the PM7005 and PM8005? Obviously they're supposed to be better-performing than the PM6006.

Does anyone have any experience with these units or any thoughts on this?

Joseph.

PM6006 good,PM7005 avarage,PM8005 very good

PM7005 good, PM6006 better, PM8005 BEST

Once so a review not english, the PM7005 wasn't as good as the PM6005 and PM8005 it was avarage,there was also a nad in the review,just can't find it.

I think with the rega Queen LE turntable i would chose rega over cambridge

https://www.whathifi.com/features/cambridge-cxa60-vs-rega-brio-which-better

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input so far, everyone. My budget was really around the £500 mark, and considering I'd also need to buy a decent DAC to go with the PM8005, I think it's out of the running.

insider9 said:
And what speakers are you intending to drive with them?

I mainly considered Dynaudio Emit M20 and B&W 685 S2 but think I've settled on the M20. To give some background, I used to have a PM6005 and Monitor Audio RX1 and was pleased with that set-up, although it was a little bright. Then my PM6005 blew up and I traded it all in for a Naim Mu-so, which I've had a love-hate relationship with. The connectivity is amazing but I've never really engaged with the sound.

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm mainly listening to my iTunes library on my laptop which is in ALAC format - I'd want a decent DAC rather than using my laptop's sound card.

Budget is ~£1000 for speakers and an amp, plus a DAC if not built-into amp.

I was just concerned as to whether speakers like the Dynaudios deserved better amplification than the PM6006.

gasolin

Mabye this Marantz amp, not the most powerfull but for most people enough, seems like a step or to up from the PM6006/7005, mabye they will realse a PM7006 soon

http://www.superfi.co.uk/images/manualbrochure/hdamp1%20hfc%20review%20april%202016.pdf

https://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/4930782/marantz-hd-amp1.html

There is actually a PM8006 but it's much more expensive than the PM8005 https://www.whathifi.com/news/marantz-reveals-new-pm8006-stereo-amplifier

https://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/4276446/marantz-pm8005-black.html

mabye combine the amp with a pair of Q Acoustics conept 20 than you have more than enough left for the dac i linked to and some foam under the speakers or some cheap stands if you buy them in white for under 300£ https://www.idealo.co.uk/compare/3866290/q-acoustics-concept-20.html

This will be decided by the speakers you choose (or which one are best suited to those amps). The Marantzes are tonally different to Cambridge: Marantz are generally quite smooth while Cambridge tends to have a 'bite' to their presentation.

What's the best amp? The one that synergises the best with M20s.

insider9

plastic penguin said:
This will be decided by the speakers you choose (or which one are best suited to those amps). The Marantzes are tonally different to Cambridge: Marantz are generally quite smooth while Cambridge tends to have a 'bite' to their presentation.

What's the best amp? The one that synergises the best with M20s.
+1

One of our members had them paired with Primare I22 and he was really impressed by the combo. Unfortunately I22 would take you over budget new but could be picked up within budget if buying second hand.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I heard all of them with many speakers. The CXA60 and Marantz PM8005 even on the same system. In the listening room 4/4 of us told on a blind test that the CA is better. It is more livelier and has more resolution. It is hard to tell, but for me the Marantz has a hifi sound, where the Cambridge is the first step into the audiophile sound. Depending on your preference, I would even look for a good used Arcam A19 or a Vincent SV500. The Primare I22 was also a great suggestion. Among the Marantz amps: in a quality/price ratio the winner would be the 6006. To my ears it is very close to the 8005, which does not worth 2 times more.

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
theexcitableboy said:
I'm mainly listening to my iTunes library on my laptop which is in ALAC format - I'd want a decent DAC rather than using my laptop's sound card.

Budget is ~£1000 for speakers and an amp, plus a DAC if not built-into amp.

I was just concerned as to whether speakers like the Dynaudios deserved better amplification than the PM6006.

If the amp does not have Airplay built in, just stream from iTunes to an Apple Airport Express, which is connected to your amp via the analogue or digital out. The more recent AAE has a better DAC (it's very good). The DAC in the old one is said to be mediocre. If the amp has a digital input, then you can use the digital out of the AAE and the old one will be okay. Airplay works but if network traffic is high you can get short breaks in the music.

Seven Oaks often have some very good system deals whereby amp + speakers are much much cheaper than the two separately. They sometimes also move their prices when asked in shop. These days advertised prices seem to be fixed by the manufacturers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts