Curious error on Onkyo 875

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I had a curious error pop up on my 875 yesterday that I hope somebody could shed some light on.

I switched the PS3 on which feeds through the 875 via hdmi. The XMB displays perfectly as expected, however when I tried to play a number of blu-rays (Batman Begins, Rambo, etc..) no picture was shown. The sound continued to play in the background but I had no picture at all.

The Onkyo flashed up a "Resolution Error" message on its display screen. I checked the settings and everything seemed to be fine.

I managed to finally get it sorted by physically turning off the receiver and restarting it.

The picture then reappeared but the speaker settings had gone a bit screwy! Both front speakers had jumped to +115.5db!!!!

Has anyone out there seen anything like this before?

Cheers
Ketch

A

Anonymous

Update for anyone who might have a similar issue.........

After a brief search on google, I've found that there are a number of 875 users that have developed a similar problem to the one I mentioned above.

Initially the level settings for the front speakers was changing itself and completly throwing my system out of balance. No idea what was triggering it.

Then I had the misfortune of pressing the 'mute' button which did the very opposite of what it should have done and blasted out at max volume (fingers crossed that the speakers are okay)!!!

It appears to be a problem that Onkyo are aware of, but I've yet to find a explantation from them on the web as to why it happened. The only option I had was to restore the 875 back to its factory settings.

Since then, it all seems to be working okay again. However, not knowing what the problem actuallys was is really bugging me.

Has anyone else suffered from this, or am I becoming an Onkyo Jonah??

Ketch

A

Anonymous

I'm running with 1.05 at the moment.

I've just spoken to the very helpful guys at Audio Excellence in Bristol and they're going to send it back to Onkyo to investigate (and update to the latest version).

In fairness, he didn't seem too surprised when I described the problem, so hopefully they it should be a quick fix.

Also, from my web-browsing earlier it appears that this issue is not just limited to the 875. There are reports of it affecting Onks. I would post the links but they were on a rival forum and that's surely against WHF forum rules.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The sound thing could be the DTS HD problem others have reported - were you attempting to play the DTS soundtrack at the time? - but that shouldn't have affected the picture, AFAIK

A

Anonymous

I originally thought that too.

However, the mute button (i.e. volume blast!) problem was happening when I was watching SD Sky as well.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, me too.

I've been trying to get hold of the guys at GenServe to see if its something that they've come across before.

I'm hoping they'll tell me its just a firmware update that is required!

Either way, as soon as I get some answers I'll post them back here.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Okay, just got off the phone to GenServe.

They have confirmed that this is a known fault on the 875 and can be rectified by applying the latest firmware update.

They suggested that performing a factory reset (as per the instructions in the troubleshooting guide of the manual) will temporarily fix it, thus avoiding the risk of blowing my speakers!

Hopefully this will help anyone else who encounters the same problem.

A

Anonymous

Did they say which is the latest fimware update, by any chance?

A

Anonymous

Come to think of it, he didn't actually say.

However, I believe the latest version is 1.07.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts