Crossloading a 1ohm stable amplifier...

Status
Not open for further replies.

caffeinatedeggeater

BANNED
Nov 25, 2021
Visit site
So I have a speaker that can wire into either 4 or 1ohm. Another that can wire into 4ohm or 2ohm.

If I were to wire them to 1ohm and 2 ohm, what is the final amp load?

Gray

Sounds like an exam question.

You just need to bear in mind that when connecting in parallel, the effective impedance will always be lower than the lowest figure.
In the case of your 1 and 2 ohms, the amp will see 0.66 ohms - before any music, which will inevitably take it even lower at times.
Good luck :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: caffeinatedeggeater

Gray

Not sure about the purpose of it, but I (eventually) understood the question.
For whatever reason, he's got two speakers (drivers?), both of which can have a choice of impedance.
By 'crossloading', I assume he means wiring them in parallel - because he asked what the 'final amp load' would be (with both wired for their lowest impedance).....🤷‍♂️

Maybe, if he ever returns, he'll tell me I didn't understand the question.

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano

caffeinatedeggeater

BANNED
Nov 25, 2021
Visit site
Well this was fun.
To enlighten you all, subwoofers used for cars can be wired into multiple configurations due to dual voice coils.
As it seems I am an idiot, I shall leave as an idiot. In all fairness, just a Google search could confirm what type of drivers can do this.

The reason this was asked here is because it's a rare thing to find real information on.

I did get my answer for 1 configuration = 0.66 OHM.

Gray seems to have the mathematical know how and I have been working non stop 8 days in a row, so now I have been able to visit.

Terminology came from the idea that the speaker has the final say on what load is squeezed from an amp, so 2 different OHM rated speakers is actually a cross-load as it is loaded across 2 different OHM ratings and the final amp load is adjusted from there.

This is made up on the spot but seems the best go-to terminology.

Thanks folks :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

caffeinatedeggeater

BANNED
Nov 25, 2021
Visit site
Clearly should not have been posted where it was perhaps the OP will consider this in any future posts.

This presents as a lack of knowledge on those partaking, not me, your responsibility is to learn of it to add in future discussion, if your purpose is to help which the forum is for.

Car and home audio are not that dissimilar, they require different ways of getting power, that's about it, they fundamentally are the same, car audio just uses lower OHM ratings due to efficiency mostly.

I use it in my house as the price tags tend to match their quality, unlike "audiophile grade home stuff"

Anything else is just preconceived bias and nonsense in order to pad your purchases.

Last edited:

Tinman1952

This presents as a lack of knowledge on those partaking, not me, your responsibility is to learn of it to add in future discussion, if your purpose is to help which the forum is for.

Car and home audio are not that dissimilar, they require different ways of getting power, that's about it, they fundamentally are the same, car audio just uses lower OHM ratings due to efficiency mostly.

I use it in my house as the price tags tend to match their quality, unlike "audiophile grade home stuff"

Anything else is just preconceived bias and nonsense in order to pad your purchases.
This comes across as a bit aggressive and arrogant to me for a new poster asking for help. Less coffee and more eggs methinks.....🤔

caffeinatedeggeater

BANNED
Nov 25, 2021
Visit site
This comes across as a bit aggressive and arrogant to me for a new poster asking for help. Less coffee and more eggs methinks.....🤔
Length of service does not = knowledge nor intelligence, it is also a fact age =/= maturity nor betterment.

I am a very direct speaker my friend even in reality.

I don't think this discussion will go anywhere, too many here see themselves as knowing best and treat new people like they are dim-wits.

I mean it could just be a difference between creativity and older age making you conform to this state of ego-concentration.

I use what I have as my hifi setup, it is not conventional, any lesser of a worthy answer?

Tinman1952

I mean it could just be a difference between creativity and older age making you conform to this state of ego-concentration.

Oh dear....
Only arrogant youth thinks these are mutually exclusive....

too many here see themselves as knowing best and treat new people like they are dim-wits.

Best not to waste any more time here then....🙂

caffeinatedeggeater

BANNED
Nov 25, 2021
Visit site
Oh dear....
Only arrogant youth thinks these are mutually exclusive....

Best not to waste any more time here then....🙂
You don't have power over me, I am an adult with a mind of my own thank you.

Is Tinman the only representative of this place?
The moderator got silenced in PM.
If so I would suggest reality for a bit, may help to loosen up those rusted neurons a bit.
A fact is that the internet is a hive mind, you end up in a box conforming to what makes you feel comfortable.

I am glad to have caused a disturbance. I did it without doing it, just my presence.

Gray

This presents as a lack of knowledge on those partaking, not me
I would respectfully say to you that If you think the people on this hi-fi forum lack knowledge, I've got a suggestion for you.
Start a thread on any other hi-fi forum.
Importantly, word your question exactly as you did here.
Then see what replies you get.
Go on, give it a try 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts