Crossloading a 1ohm stable amplifier...

Nov 25, 2021
So I have a speaker that can wire into either 4 or 1ohm. Another that can wire into 4ohm or 2ohm.

If I were to wire them to 1ohm and 2 ohm, what is the final amp load?

Gray

Sounds like an exam question.

You just need to bear in mind that when connecting in parallel, the effective impedance will always be lower than the lowest figure.
In the case of your 1 and 2 ohms, the amp will see 0.66 ohms - before any music, which will inevitably take it even lower at times.
Good luck :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: caffeinatedeggeater

Gray

Not sure about the purpose of it, but I (eventually) understood the question.
For whatever reason, he's got two speakers (drivers?), both of which can have a choice of impedance.
By 'crossloading', I assume he means wiring them in parallel - because he asked what the 'final amp load' would be (with both wired for their lowest impedance).....🤷‍♂️

Maybe, if he ever returns, he'll tell me I didn't understand the question.

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano
Nov 25, 2021
Well this was fun.
To enlighten you all, subwoofers used for cars can be wired into multiple configurations due to dual voice coils.
As it seems I am an idiot, I shall leave as an idiot. In all fairness, just a Google search could confirm what type of drivers can do this.

The reason this was asked here is because it's a rare thing to find real information on.

I did get my answer for 1 configuration = 0.66 OHM.

Gray seems to have the mathematical know how and I have been working non stop 8 days in a row, so now I have been able to visit.

Terminology came from the idea that the speaker has the final say on what load is squeezed from an amp, so 2 different OHM rated speakers is actually a cross-load as it is loaded across 2 different OHM ratings and the final amp load is adjusted from there.

This is made up on the spot but seems the best go-to terminology.

Thanks folks :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts