Creek plus B&W?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I went for a demo hoping to spend less than £4,000. Really liked sound of Creek Destiny Amp and CD but couldn't get happy with speakers within my original price bracket. Salesman played me the B&W 805 Diamonds which sounded much more like it. Budget has now creeped up to £8,000 and I'm worried that set up is not balanced i.e. can I get better value by getting more expensive amp and less expensive speakers, or am I better off with floor standers instead of the B&W bookshelves? Any thoughts?

System I'm considering is Creek Destiny II Amp (£1,880 including phono card), Creek Destiny II CD (£1,400), Arcam rDAC (£300) and B&W 805 Diamonds (£3,750) plus speaker stands and furniture.

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If your overall spend stands at £8k you are indeed spoilt for choice. Putting myself in your shoes I would be leaning towards Leema for CD & Amp, I will never forget being blown away by their scale and realism at the Bristol '09 show

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
method46:

I went for a demo hoping to spend less than £4,000. Really liked sound of Creek Destiny Amp and CD but couldn't get happy with speakers within my original price bracket. Salesman played me the B&W 805 Diamonds which sounded much more like it. Budget has now creeped up to £8,000 and I'm worried that set up is not balanced i.e. can I get better value by getting more expensive amp and less expensive speakers, or am I better off with floor standers instead of the B&W bookshelves? Any thoughts?

System I'm considering is Creek Destiny II Amp (£1,880 including phono card), Creek Destiny II CD (£1,400), Arcam rDAC (£300) and B&W 805 Diamonds (£3,750) plus speaker stands and furniture.

I have heard the Creek equipment and it's first rate IMO. Very nice choice and good VFM. Regarding the speakers, I think the Creek will be fine with higher end speakers, but for that money I'd be demoing a lot more. I have not heard the new diamond version, but the old 805s never impressed me. In fact, I preferred CM5s. For nearly 4k you've got a ton of choices. Do you have room for floorstanders? How important is bass?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for feedback on Creek equipment. It sounded very musical with great timing.

I do have space for floorstanders and bass is important. My taste in music ranges from jazz to dubstep.

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
jaxwired:
Sorry to sidetrack, but Scissor, how do you like the DM 2/7s?

I've had mine for just under a year now and they've about 250 hours on the clock. I will start by saying they are bigger and require more space than my living room can easily accommodate but I would take some convincing to replace them as musically they are right up my street. I know my CD and Amp have been accused of being too clinical and slightly bright so the DM 2/7's must then inject warmth and remove any trace of brightness as I can happily sit and listen to them for hours without ever picking up either of those two traits. They do have an emphasis on bass but never in a way that detracts from the overall presentation. Having just read the review again I would agree with everything except the criticism about their looks as mine are black ash and look quite at home with the rest of my kit.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Scissor, thanks for the mini review.
emotion-21.gif

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
method46:

Thanks for feedback on Creek equipment. It sounded very musical with great timing.

I do have space for floorstanders and bass is important. My taste in music ranges from jazz to dubstep.

I think you can get much more statisfying speakers than the 805d for the same money. My choices in that price range would include Neat Mementum MFS, PMC FB1i or OB1i, Dynaudio Contour S1.4 or Dynaudio Focus 220ii.

Obviously, I'm biased, but the Contour S1.4 is an amazingly good speaker. Seek out a demo. They are much more full range and provide a more musically engaging presentation. There is a lush harmonic richness that the B&Ws don't seem to have while still providing bags of detail. I highly recommend at least a demo before buying the B&Ws.

method46:

Heard the Evo II with my old RS6 speakers and the balance was terrific. Personally, I'd be looking at Monitor Audio GS10 to match your Creek. That sounds pretty...tasty. If you're looking at floorstanders I'd look at PMC GB1is, MA GS20s or possibly Totem Arro.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts