New amp for B&W 703 (original version)

cablemaster

Feb 23, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in looking for a new Amplifier as a replacement for the existing Quad 909 I have.
I would be interested to hear your thoughts, if you own a B&W 703 what are you using? Is this the correct approach given the system I have currently.
I like the sound offered by the Quad 909 but I'm interested in generally improving the bass response and it gets a little too bright at higher volumes. I understand the 703s have quite a challenging impedance curve.

Amp options i'm thinking about currently include
- Rotel RB1590
- Bryston 4BSST
- Quad 909 upgrade?

Many Thanks

Current System:
Speakers: B&W 703 (original version)
CD Player: Roksan Caspian M2
Interconnects: Chord Company Indigo Plus
Speaker Cable: LAT Internation SS100 Bi-Wire
Pre-Amp: Music First Audio Classic V1

cablemaster

Feb 23, 2020
Visit site
That may be your issue, a power amp isn't going to change the presentation much.

Ah interesting, thank you. Are there any Pre-Amp's you can recommend that would partner well. I guess the Quad 909, I was kind of under the impression the Music First Audio pre amp would be more musical than the Quad 909 pre.

Ah interesting, thank you. Are there any Pre-Amp's you can recommend that would partner well. I guess the Quad 909, I was kind of under the impression the Music First Audio pre amp would be more musical than the Quad 909 pre.
It probably is, haven't heard one though, but it obviously isn't giving you what you are seeking.
The Quad preamp is a bit aged now so not too sure if it would be more suitable. I may be wrong but feel trying different preamps might be the way to go rather than selling all and started from scratch although this isn't completely unforeseeable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts