Creek OBH-22 and Quad 909 compatibility

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, this is my first post so be gentle with me.
emotion-2.gif

I'm looking at the possibility of having that Creek pre-amp partnered with the Quad power amp, and I am curious if any one here has such a combination and if they work well together. The output impedance of the passive Creek is 20k ohms while the input impedance of the Quad is 20k ohms.
emotion-18.gif
I am wondering if there is electrical compatibility here. From what I learnt of preamp and power amp matching, the ratio of the impedances shouldn't be less than 100 right?

If there are any OBH-22 owners, I'd be grateful to know what power amps you are using yours with.

Thanks.

ps: I prefer not to have the Quad 99 Pre. Don't like the front panel and buttons at all.

A

Anonymous

Nearly right...in simple terms the output impedance of the creek is 0 - 20K..(variable)..so at 0 its full volume at 20K its minumum.

Specs here

Dont see any reason why it shouldnt work very well and you will have the luxury of a remote as well. I wish I had one.

Another option Icon Audio

A

Anonymous

raym87:
Nearly right...in simple terms the output impedance of the creek is 0 - 20K..(variable)..so at 0 its full volume at 20K its minumum.

Specs here

Dont see any reason why it shouldnt work very well and you will have the luxury of a remote as well. I wish I had one.

Another option Icon Audio

OMG I was looking at Creek's own leaflet for the OBH-22 which only states 20k ohms. So I take it the OBH-22's best or 'minimum'(this is still a bit confusing for me) output impedance is better/lower than 20k ohms.
emotion-1.gif

I do hope it works. But you've thrown a spanner into the works with the Icon Audio link. That's a very attractive preamp too!

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I Ihave to say that I find it confusing myself. Its unusual to find the value quoted in impedance terms on a passive pre.. Usually its quoted a db of attenuation or sometimes in a purely resistive number (for stepped attenuator versions). I have just checked my old MA34 and that has an alps pot in it like the creek and has a purely resistive max value of just over 10K. This has worked with every power amp I have tried it with so there shouldnt be a problem with the creek.

Theres another option as well...Rothwell

Theres a guy on here called Lordmortlock and he has one connected to a 909...maybe he will provide and answer.

Assuming budget is an issue but just as a taster..Music First Audio

A

Anonymous

Glad to know I am not the only one scratching his head over passive-preamp specs.
emotion-2.gif
This is my first foray into pre-power amplification and while I know the Quad has more than enough omph to drive any sane speaker design, I'm taking extra care over preamp choices because my speakers are ATC SCM11 and ATCs are always a good few dBs lower than their official 85dB rating. The zaniest scenario that could ensue is matching a passive preamp to the ATCs where cruising levels start at 12 o'clock and 'normal' is at 3 o'clock!!!
emotion-4.gif

I'll be chewing the cud some more over other passive options. If still unsure, I'll retreat and get a new integrated amp instead.
emotion-10.gif

Thanks.

ps: the OBH-22's attenuation range is 90dB

A

Anonymous

Attenuation range of 0 - 90db is well capable of working very well. (didnt see that earlier) Mine has an attenustion range (on the dial) of 0 - 52 db and that suits me fine.

A passive pre will supply up to the maximum voltage of your source (or very close to it). It doesnt matter where the volume control is set. It isnt working any harder just because its turned up to 12 oclock or more. It isnt working at all....its passive. It isnt going to get hot, burn out etc etc.

Your speakers are driven by your power amp and a passive pre wont have any effect on the capability of your power amp driving them as long as the passive pre is able to pass a more than adequate signal level which all the ones I have come across , do. Dont know how loud you want to go?

My passive (see below) is used around the 12 oclock position and its quite normal for it to do so.

A

Anonymous

I guess I'll have to prepare for the situation where the volume control starts at 12 o'clock. This after many years of seeing 9-11 o'clocks on assorted integrateds. I don't rock out at insane levels as I'd like to keep my ears healthy, and my listening den is less than 5x5m.

The tricky area will be classical music where there are often low-level signals and vast silences where the orchestra quietens down to let a handful of its members play music for their particular instruments. It's always a headache to set the signal attenuation right for these quiet moments to hear the soloists fully without getting blasted out of your seat when the entire orchestra comes back in again! I do hope the attenuation contour on the Creek or other preamp will be appropriate.

Thanks for the help and for making my first contact here a pleasant one.
emotion-19.gif

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hey Wambo... welcome to the site.

As Ray mentioned I can vouch for Rothwell with the 909 - although I should stress I have an older model it sounds lovely so its fair to assume that the current 'indus' model will sound as good -and hopefully better. I particularly like the the fact that Rothwell spec two outs so you could biamp without a splitter if you chose to.

I like the logic behind passive pre amps - one less noisy power source and less (no?) potential for further colouration.

I think you can pick up the Indus for about £699. Check out some reviews and demo if you can.

Oh and I'm with on the 99 layout. Way too fiddly!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the additional preamp recommendation.
emotion-2.gif

Prior to joining up, I had been following the comments on here about the Quad 909's sound quality. I was worried if it was going to sound too warm with not enough treble spark or well-controlled bass. Yours were particularly assuring.

Looks like I will be joining Club 909 soon!
emotion-11.gif

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Another score for the Quad team!

It might be worth having a word with the guys at Audio emotion. Good prices and a 5yr warranty. No affiliation - just seem like good guys.

A

Anonymous

lordmortlock:Another score for the Quad team!

It might be worth having a word with the guys at Audio emotion. Good prices and a 5yr warranty. No affiliation - just seem like good guys.

I wonder if any of the admin could set up a poll of some sort relating to the brand of equipment owned by forum members. Just for fun and all that.......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts