Creek Evo 2 modern equivalent

Scaffy

Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
So posted in streaming section about keeping my Creek Evo 2 and upgrading my Blusound node 2i or going for a streamer amp. Was saying to my mate who's fancying getting himself into hifi. He asked me what amplifier/price range he would need to look at for same sort of quality as he likes my amp. I have no idea, so just out of interest I'm throwing the question out there. Plus if I ever upgrade my amp, be interesting where I'd need to start looking

Scaffy

Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Kinda thought would be about 1k in price to upgrade. Rega gear has a good rep, not that I've heard any.

Yes, I went with the Dali Oberon 5, delighted with them, their size are great, just melt into background and you forget you have floor standers. Like the sound that much that I'm going to audition the Dali IO-6 headphones when I get round to getting new ones

Reactions: matthewpianist
I’d say the approximate equivalent would be around £1000 or more for a product like the Rega Elex. The latest review is here:-

Did you settle on the Dali Oberon 5 speakers in the end?
Having demoed the Evo 2 and Elex-R, I would suggest one of the Roksan Kandies are closer in terms of tonal balance, dynamics and detail.

Personally if the Evo 2 is liked then perhaps the newer Creek Evo 50.

Reactions: Al ears
I did suggest that, more just to see what's out there. He's only really heard my hifi and another mate he has that's into hifi. Believe that guys is NAD gear. Just happy to have another mate that's into it as most of mine think I waste my money haha
Yep, it can be a waste of money if you don't know when to stop.

I loved the Evo 2. The only real reason for not buying because I needed a phono stage and Creeks phono module took it way over my budget at the time.

Having demoed the Evo 2 and Elex-R, I would suggest one of the Roksan Kandies are closer in terms of tonal balance, dynamics and detail.

Personally if the Evo 2 is liked then perhaps the newer Creek Evo 50.
I was thinking of a current product, not another discontinued one.

In fact I believe the Roksan Kandy and the Creek Evo 50 are no longer made.

Last edited:
I was thinking of a current product, not another discontinued one.

In fact I believe the Roksan Kandy and the Creek Evo 50 are no longer made.

I know the Evo 50 is discontinued didn't know Roksan had taken the Kandy K3 out of production.

I thought that's what the prefix 'K' stood for. The early ones were KA1 then upgrades on that: Kandy KA1 MK2, MK3 and the L3, then K2 and K3.
I’m guessing they dropped the name as it might have sounded a bit like a computer game rather than a serious piece of Hifi?

I confess that the Roksan lineage has often puzzled me as each amp model seems completely unrelated to the others. They seem to have no connecting thread at all, but then maybe that’s deliberate.

They are rather a niche market and I think I have only ever heard two.
There seems to be few dealers. I did hear Exposure amp, not sure what model, it was playing in the showroom of PJ Hi-Fi in Guildford -- that was years ago.

Touch back on the Kandy confusion. According to Joe Cox IIRC, when he and Simon came to our place and did a 'Reader Rescue' back in 2009, the Roksan Kandy L3 it was given the 'L' prefix instead of KA1 MK4 because of how the internals was configured

I’m guessing they dropped the name as it might have sounded a bit like a computer game rather than a serious piece of Hifi?

I confess that the Roksan lineage has often puzzled me as each amp model seems completely unrelated to the others. They seem to have no connecting thread at all, but then maybe that’s deliberate.
Yeah, they did milk it. Mind you Leema are no better, my original is the 1st generation then the replacement was MK3, no idea why they skipped MK2. I did hear rumours they called the MK3 because it had a Dac, although I can't confirm that.

As if hi-fi wasn't hard enough choosing what to buy.....

Scaffy

Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
Few good options there. Arcam and Roksan were models I looked at before I got the Creek. The Creek was bough blind, due to no HIFI shops in my area. We have one now who stocks Arcam and Dali, so can audition with them. I was reading up on the Roksan Attessa and seems to be getting good reviews. Might be an option for my mate as well as he's prob going to stream only.

Few good options there. Arcam and Roksan were models I looked at before I got the Creek. The Creek was bough blind, due to no HIFI shops in my area. We have one now who stocks Arcam and Dali, so can audition with them. I was reading up on the Roksan Attessa and seems to be getting good reviews. Might be an option for my mate as well as he's prob going to stream only.
I can't see why the Attessa should be a disappointment. Although not heard this model, I've yet to come across a duff Roksan amplifier.

podknocker

This could be interesting, apparently going to be £800

Nice little Class D amp, but Creek site gives 55W / 110W at 8/4 Ohms, but other sites give 35 and 70W. A bit confusing. Be nice to confirm the power, but I suppose the Creek site is accurate. Be nice to see a matching streamer to go with this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts