Could you work in. . . .

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

margetti:
I've worked in IT all my life, and would love to get out - the prof has hit the nail on the head there!
I have been toying with the idea of doing exactly this as a means to an end - ie getting on the bottom of the ladder with a view of one day owning my own shop. Trouble is that I'm (a) not a natural salesman, so I would find it difficult to sell a product I wasn't completely enthusiastic about, and (b) I don't have the capital to sink in to starting a new business (especially in the current economic climate).

Owning/renting a shop is very very expensive especially prime locations, and to stock and sell hifi is a huge expense, most people think it is easy and you make huge profits, they need to think again.

SteveR750

I suspect that online retailing is the way forward a la Wiggle....it shouldnt work as most people like to look and feel before buying, but it does work, and pretty well too. I and many of my cycling buddies use them for major bike purchases, I also think it is the power of independant forums that have a major impact on online retailing; allow people to choose more succesfully when buying *blind* Amazon is a great example of linking these together.

Fenton Beasley

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
. . . .a hi-fi or AV outlet?

Given that I've just tested some speakers at home, I couldn't work in a busy hi-fi retailers. I would be too biased for starters. I'd be offering out mug of tea or coffee even if they had only come in for banana plugs or spade clips. No no no.

So could you?

Absolutely not. I couldn't listen to rubbish music all day. I only love hi-fi because I can get closer to good music.

Fenton Beasley:plastic penguin:

. . . .a hi-fi or AV outlet?

Given that I've just tested some speakers at home, I couldn't work in a busy hi-fi retailers. I would be too biased for starters. I'd be offering out mug of tea or coffee even if they had only come in for banana plugs or spade clips. No no no.

So could you?

Absolutely not. I couldn't listen to rubbish music all day. I only love hi-fi because I can get closer to good music.

In the short-term it would be fine but I think the novelty would soon wear thin. And it would dull my love of music, being surrounded by it all day long

It's a little like chefs - they cook and sample lovely food. What do they eat at home. Or what do DJ's play when at home?

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I`d enjoy it IF... I didn`t need to work for the money. It would be great to listen to all of the brand new gear as it arrived and mix and match different systems for different people with different needs. Music wise I`d bring in an extensive collection of test discs (even vinyl if poss) and for me there will never be enough hours in the day to listen to music so there would be no danger of getting bored of it. So yes, I`d really enjoy this job.

idc

I want to give working in a hifi shop a go when I retire. Ideal would be a Saturday spot when it is busy. The other idea I have is to set up an ebay shop selling headfi. Neither would be to make a fortune, both would be for fun. So if I got bored I will stop.

T

the record spot

Yes, I'd like to have given it a go. Not for a chain though and I'd want to steer my own ship, however, that's all in an ideal world. An ideal world that would include some choice new gear, but a stack of good quality used kit as well.

the record spot:Yes, I'd like to have given it a go. Not for a chain though and I'd want to steer my own ship, however, that's all in an ideal world. An ideal world that would include some choice new gear, but a stack of good quality used kit as well.

In an ideal world, I would love to own a record & CD outlet. Unfortunately, they're a dying breed - buying records & cd's isn't the same on the net. . .

idc

I would happily work at Richer Sounds. I would get great pleasure from helping to stear people onto the first rung of the ladder. I would rather not sit and listen to numerous auditions of kit. That would be boring.

T

the record spot

That'd be the other one and yes, I totally agree. Paid a visit to Dunfermline today and was delighted to see the excellent 3rd Base still up, running and in fine shape. One of the best record shops I've been in in years. Picked up a few titles, including the Stones' "Metapmorphosis" on SACD and for an absolute song. New as well. Great shop, highly recommended.

matthewpiano

Its an interesting industry to work in. I work for a small company that runs 2 Sony Centres and I enjoy the close contact that gives me with the inner workings of the business. It makes it a much more varied and challenging job than simply being a sales guy and I feel like a lot of trust is invested in me.

Customers can be challenging but you just have to remember that you are asking them to part with their hard earned money. They have a right to feel 100% confident that they are buying the right thing and that they are paying a fair price for the combination of product, advice, service and support that you are offering.

Messiah

I would enjoy working in a HiFi shop for sure. Certainly in my local Audio T where they have a 60" Pioneer (I think) parked in front of their desk so when it's quiet you could just stick a film on and enjoy!

I would also like to be able to take enjoyment from sending someone home with a product that will bring a smile to their face and an endless quest for perfection started.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Messiah:

I would also like to be able to take enjoyment from sending someone home with a product that will bring a smile to their face and an endless quest for perfection started.

You tried that once with the Bible
emotion-14.gif

plastic penguin:

the record spot:Yes, I'd like to have given it a go. Not for a chain though and I'd want to steer my own ship, however, that's all in an ideal world. An ideal world that would include some choice new gear, but a stack of good quality used kit as well.

In an ideal world, I would love to own a record & CD outlet. Unfortunately, they're a dying breed - buying records & cd's isn't the same on the net. . .

There's nothing quite like walking into a small record shop; the evocative whiff of cardboard and dust and flicking through your favourite genre - then EUREKA!! you locate your chosen record. . . .sorry, I'm going off on one
emotion-10.gif

The same can said about hi-fi outlets. Let's hope modern technology doesn't strangle our fun of actually touching and hearing a product - low res pics on the PC just doesn't have the same ring. . .does it?

Messiah

Ravey Gravey Davy:Messiah:

You tried that once with the Bible
emotion-14.gif

True
emotion-2.gif

(Must say that answer made me chuckle....)

Messiah:

I would enjoy working in a HiFi shop for sure. Certainly in my local Audio T where they have a 60" Pioneer (I think) parked in front of their desk so when it's quiet you could just stick a film on and enjoy!

. . .Or watching 'Songs of Praise', The Directors Cut, perhaps. . .
emotion-42.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I was thinking fo become an importer, a while back.... but trust me what I've seen and heard, hifi business is not quite a rose garden as many of you think, well the higher end hifi anyway. It's a proper dog eat dog stuff and unless you have a massive back up from your bank, I wouldn't recomended anyone to become a dealer.

To work for someone else in a main stream hifi shop would be different, I suppose! but no, I wouldn't enjoy it.

Thaiman:

I was thinking fo become an importer, a while back.... but trust me what I've seen and heard, hifi business is not quite a rose garden as many of you think, well the higher end hifi anyway. It's a proper dog eat dog stuff and unless you have a massive back up from your bank, I wouldn't recomended anyone to become a dealer.

To work for someone else in a main stream hifi shop would be different, I suppose! but no, I wouldn't enjoy it.

Thaiman, you'd be brilliant working for a hi-fi outlet. They would have their very own Elvis. . .who's a decent cook too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts