Could i use a KEF LS50 on its side as a center?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
AFter listening to the Quad 12Ls, MA RX1, Dynaudio Dm2/7, PMC db1, KEF ls50 i am thinking of purchasing the Kef's.

The sound was so much bigger than the PMC speakers i have at home now. Although these are £300 more they sound smaller and less smooth.

I can't be bothered to listen to anymore now; i could go on and on forever wanting to change components.

I want to get 3 LS50 speakers. As anyone done this ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You could use an LS50 angled at 45 degrees - it'll still sound the same as on that isn't. The driver is symmetrical through 360 degrees, so yes, you can use one on its side. I need to ask KEF if the trim ring can be taken out and moved through 45 degrees. Sorry, I'm not taking mine off!

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
You could use an LS50 angled at 45 degrees - it'll still sound the same as on that isn't. The driver is symmetrical through 360 degrees, so yes, you can use one on its side. I need to ask KEF if the trim ring can be taken out and moved through 45 degrees. Sorry, I'm not taking mine off!

Trim ring?

So on its side their is no issue? I think 3 of these at the front would be great for movies.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They are, believe me - I'll be watching Blade Runner shortly...

the trim ring is the gloss black ring around the driver that hides the screw heads that fix the driver into the cabinet. At the top it says "LS50", and at the bottom it says "50th Anniversary Model". Ideally, when placing this on its side, you'll want to move the trim ring round to suit. Sometimes, these things have bits sticking out so they only fit in one way. I'll know tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
They are, believe me - I'll be watching Blade Runner shortly...

the trim ring is the gloss black ring around the driver that hides the screw heads that fix the driver into the cabinet. At the top it says "LS50", and at the bottom it says "50th Anniversary Model". Ideally, when placing this on its side, you'll want to move the trim ring round to suit. Sometimes, these things have bits sticking out so they only fit in one way. I'll know tomorrow.

I listened to the PMCs with a few blu rays yesterday and the sound is smaller than speakers half their price. I like dvd audios so need a big sound that is not harsh and i think that is the kefs.

btw what cable do you use yourself with these? I am looking at the Van damme 6mm blue.

keenly said:
I am looking at the Van damme 6mm blue.

Hi keenly

I feel that you're on the right track as i wouldn't recommend spending too much money on cabling.

Van Damme are good cables and ones which also offer good VFM.

Alternatively, i'll also suggest standard 79 stand OFC or 500 strand OFC speaker cables. Fwiw, as i write this i've got an ATC multichannel monitoring system (SCM19, C3C, SCM11 & C6 - SCM0.1/15) being used with Chord Electronics DSP8000/Plinius Odean AV amplification. This system is being used with standard 79 & 500 strand OFC speaker cables.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts