Conservatory Home Cinema - Great Idea or just plain barmy?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
As you all know I've been trying to get a projector in the house for ages. Was going for the garage (detached) but decided it wouldn't get used much in the winter and summer as I'd always have to go outside to use it. Speaking to the 'better half' over the festive period and she is not keen on having it in the lounge as she wants to keep it a lounge, fair enough I guess. She did however come up with the idea of possibly putting it in the conservatory! Not a dream solution but better than nothing. So it got me thinking, great idea or just plain barmy?

The conservatory is a two sided all window frame (ceiling to floor), glass slanting roof and one side a full brick wall. The other side attaches to the house and has a window and double sliding door. Its a north facing conservtory so although it gets plenty of sun light the sun is never directly on it. The conservatory is white with pale purple walls.

The full wall is approx 190 cm wide, I can fit a 80" drop down manual projector with tensions (I think) and can pretty much place a projector anywhere by having it either behind me or in front on a table. I have no intention of leaving the projector, PS3/PS4 and Amp out there over night due to changing temps but the screen and speakers (7.1 no atmos available) would stay out there all year round. Blinds would be installed (probably dark purple to keep with the existing colour scheme) but I wouldn't get the room 100% pitch black, winter wouldn't be a problem but summer might. I'd also need to find a way to make it a little warmer on the winter nights so that I could use it all year round.

If I got a grey screen to improve the picture due to the light that would be in the room is it something to really think about or would I be disappointed. I'm fully aware that it wouldn't be as good as a dedicated fully dark room, and probably not as good as my living room, although that's very bright anyway, but is it something worth looking into?

Cheers

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
If I got a grey screen to improve the picture due to the light that would be in the room is it something to really think about or would I be disappointed. I'm fully aware that it wouldn't be as good as a dedicated fully dark room, and probably not as good as my living room, although that's very bright anyway, but is it something worth looking into?
You need to be looking at screens like Draper's ReAct, which are designed for high light areas, rather than just standard grey screens. For the price of a high quality projector and suitable screen, you could be looking at larger 65/75" TVs which will negate the need for darkening the conservatory as much as possible, and may even work out cheaper. I'd always choose a PJ over a TV for movie viewing, but sometimes you just have to accept that it isn't fully suitable for some rooms. It all depends on how much light you'll have coming in.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
honestly, I don't think it's worth it. That amount of glass is going to play havoc with the sound and if you have neighbours, they might not appreciate the bleed out either. Also, if you ain't leaving the equipment in there, it's going to be a super faff to move it everytime. Personally I think your garage would be a much better idea.

Just my 2p's worth though.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
rocketrazor said:
You need to be looking at screens like Draper's ReAct, which are designed for high light areas, rather than just standard grey screens. For the price of a high quality projector and suitable screen, you could be looking at larger 65/75" TVs which will negate the need for darkening the conservatory as much as possible, and may even work out cheaper. I'd always choose a PJ over a TV for movie viewing, but sometimes you just have to accept that it isn't fully suitable for some rooms. It all depends on how much light you'll have coming in.

Thanks, I considered a TV, but I don't want anything that big permanently fixed to the wall. I already have a 42" plasma and find that it is fine for day to day viewing. It doesn't look to big and take over the wall. Anything bigger I fear would look awful. A manual projector can be retracted when finished and out of view in the casing fixed above the TV. All other equipment but the speakers removed and I have a conservatory again. I do see your point though, having a quick look the Sony projector I was thinking about is £1800, the Samsung 65" 7000 is £1700 and I haven't got a screen yet! I don't think a 65" is a big enough step above the lounge 50" to warrant that. I think it's going to be projector or nothing.

Cheers

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
honestly, I don't think it's worth it. That amount of glass is going to play havoc with the sound and if you have neighbours, they might not appreciate the bleed out either. Also, if you ain't leaving the equipment in there, it's going to be a super faff to move it everytime. Personally I think your garage would be a much better idea.

Just my 2p's worth though.

I hadn't even considered having problems with the sound due to the glass. I was concentrating so much on the light. I'm guessing the glass would cause problems with the internal sound rather than external? The neighbours can't hear me now with the lounge 5.0 set up, there might be a little extra noise from the conservatory but surely not to much? Moving the equipment wont be a problem, it will be a dual purpose room, not only for movies and games. Will take me 5 minutes to set up.

I think the garage is a much better idea as well, but it needs 10-12k just to get it in condition to use before equipment. Plus I wouldn't actually use it because I'd always have to go outside to it and leave the family indoors while I get my movie/gaming fix. It's a no go for the garage

Cheers

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
rocketrazor said:
I think it's going to be projector or nothing.

Samsung had a 5.1.4 Soundbar on demo at Las Vegas last week that had very good reviews. It even has Dolby atmos. That might be the perfect solution for your needs.

I would much prefer a 'proper' 7.1 setup to a soundbar. It won't take up as much space and I would need to leave the bar in place and probably mount it to the wall. Not sure the atmos would work as I believe it pointed up and required the sound to come back down again, can't see that happening much with glass

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS