Connecting two amps at the same speakers, possible?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I am getting a nice centre and an AV amplifier to complete my HT. At the beginning I will be using the Monitor Audio RX which I have now both for music and TV. Now I was wondering if I could connect both the amps (the Jadis and the AV amplifier) to the Monitor Audio using two sets of cable.

Jadis will be connected to the upper connection of the speakers, AV to the lower connection. I won't be removing the bridge but I will make sure the AV amp is off when playing music and the Jadis is off when using HT. Is that possible? There would be any risk to break something?

Hope it's clear what I want to do to avoid having to switch cables everytime I want to use home theater or playing music

Thanks!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Alex

I think you only have 3 sensible options:

1. Get an AV amp with pre-outs, and let your Jadis cover front left and right of your AV.

2. Have two seperate speaker cables from the two amps, which you connect seperately, given the application.

3. Get some cheap Style speakers that match the centre, to cover front L&R for AV, and leave the Jadis plugged into your RX6s (or what ever you get in the future). The centre is the most important speaker for AV as it deals with around 70% of the info.

If you have room, I quite like No.3.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
acalex said:
Jadis will be connected to the upper connection of the speakers, AV to the lower connection. I won't be removing the bridge but I will make sure the AV amp is off when playing music and the Jadis is off when using HT. Is that possible? There would be any risk to break something?

Yes, still very possible you can damage the output sections of one or both amps by connecting them in this way. Whichever amp is in use will be trying to drive both the speakers and the output devices of the other amp, which could get very messy (and expensive) indeed.

I'd go with Cno's suggestion number 1

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have built such a device for a friend’s son. The AC out from the AV amplifier drives a military specification high current relay in a small box with 4mm gold plated connectors. Three different colour LEDs provide switch box status. Very simple circuit, as long as the highest quality components are used absolutely no loss in fidelity can be detected from either source.

It has been performing flawlessly for about a year now...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Normally I would go with No1 as well, but in this case:

- It might be easier to match the centre's sonic character with a L&R from the same brand, than matching the AV amp with the Jadis's warm signature (impossible unless you get a Pathos).

- It's a waste of electricity using the Jadis for L&R channels (I should know!)

- It's wasting the life of the Valves unnecessarily.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Acalex - I have tried and tried to solve this but given the fact that one uses a Class A amp or Valve Amp, I would go for a seperate set of speakers FL & FR and keep HT and Stereo seperate.

I am using a solution with LCR speaker which is less obtrusive (it looks like a rather wide center speaker) but is ok for the job.

The other option is to wall mount seperate L, C, R speakers on wall as they are less fussy about positioning and can be conveniently made less intrusive. (Ex - Q acosutics 7000 series).

Given my new found love for AG Stradas, I would also suggest A'diva Ti matching wall color :)

With any of these are other wise seperate speakers for HT, seems to me the best! Also, no more fiddling with Stereo Amp into various modes (12 O'clock position or HT Bypass etc)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
Acalex - I have tried and tried to solve this but given the fact that one uses a Class A amp or Valve Amp, I would go for a seperate set of speakers FL & FR and keep HT and Stereo seperate.

It so happens I've given a fair amount of thought as well!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
acalex said:

Yes, still very possible you can damage the output sections of one or both amps by connecting them in this way. Whichever amp is in use will be trying to drive both the speakers and the output devices of the other amp, which could get very messy (and expensive) indeed.

I'd go with Cno's suggestion number 1

Andrew, thanks for telling me that, I haven't thought about that...fortunately I asked for help before doing any damage :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Hi Alex

I think you only have 3 sensible options:

1. Get an AV amp with pre-outs, and let your Jadis cover front left and right of your AV.

2. Have two seperate speaker cables from the two amps, which you connect seperately, given the application.

3. Get some cheap Style speakers that match the centre, to cover front L&R for AV, and leave the Jadis plugged into your RX6s (or what ever you get in the future). The centre is the most important speaker for AV as it deals with around 70% of the info.

If you have room, I quite like No.3.

Cno, thanks a lot for your thoughts!

For now I am using the solution number 2 as I have two sets of cable labelled differently to recognise them and I am swapping them depending on the case

Regarding solution one...I don't want to use the Jadis for the HT for the same reasons you added later in your post, it is quite a waste of energy and it will reduce life of valves. Jadis will be used for music purposes only.

Number 3 solution would be nice but do not have the place for now for other speakers...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
proffski said:
I have built such a device for a friend’s son. The AC out from the AV amplifier drives a military specification high current relay in a small box with 4mm gold plated connectors. Three different colour LEDs provide switch box status. Very simple circuit, as long as the highest quality components are used absolutely no loss in fidelity can be detected from either source.

It has been performing flawlessly for about a year now...

Thanks for the suggestion but I really wanted to find out if there was any way to do that without adding anything else in the middle....I can survive for now swapping cables, with spades it doesn't take that much time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Number 3 solution would be nice but do not have the place for now for other speakers...

Not even tiddly ones?

(Bose, anyone?)

Edit. Can you post up a picture, in case we can come up with some brilliance.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Nice one, I am wondering if that would make any difference in sound quality....because for me music is priority
I've never heard an owner of the Beresford switch say it's detracted in any way from the sound. In your circumstances it does sound like the best solution.

Don't forget that the centre speaker should also tonally match the front L & R before you spend too much money on one, only to then replace the main pair. Maybe see if you can find a used/ex-demo RX centre which should be easy enough to sell together with the RX6 when the time comes.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Crocodile said:
acalex said:
Nice one, I am wondering if that would make any difference in sound quality....because for me music is priority
I've never heard an owner of the Beresford switch say it's detracted in any way from the sound. In your circumstances it does sound like the best solution.

Don't forget that the centre speaker should also tonally match the front L & R before you spend too much money on one, only to then replace the main pair. Maybe see if you can find a used/ex-demo RX centre which should be easy enough to sell together with the RX6 when the time comes.

I am exactly trying to do this...but unfortunately not so easy...if you have any suggestion let me know! :)

Or same other centre easier to find ex/demo second hand. Really liked also the trianlge centre but way too deep in terms of size...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Is a decent Sound Bar too much of a compromise?

Pardon my ignorance...what's the purpose of a sound bar? :doh:

Would it replace the center speaker? Btw I have demoed this morning quickly the Bronze RX from Monitor Audio and the Silver RX and there is a huge difference between the two. The bronze just soundes very box and compressed compared to the Silver much more open and deep...

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:

At the height of sounding repetitive.. I will say this again :twisted:

I use an LCR speakers which is nothing but Left, Right and center three speakers are made into one very wide speaker. It takes three inputs from the AV Receiver and works like three speakers. Please check out the link below. There is a version availalble from MA as well, I guess

http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/home_theatre_speakers/Soundbar/Fact_Sheets/speakers/htf8003/index.html

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I haven't looked but Sevenoaks often have ex-demo. Don't know if they'll ship to you though. What finish are you after in case I stumble across anything on my Internet travels?

A sound bar is a single powered box with lots of small speakers designed to emulate a 5.1 system with no additional speakers except maybe a sub. If it was acceptable to you it would do away completely with the AV amp & any speaker switching.

http://www.whathifi.com/awards/2011/systems

http://www.whathifi.com/review/yamaha-ysp-2200

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

Would it replace the center speaker? Btw I have demoed this morning quickly the Bronze RX from Monitor Audio and the Silver RX and there is a huge difference between the two. The bronze just soundes very box and compressed compared to the Silver much more open and deep...

There have been some good descriptions above......it may be worth starting a thread on, in case someone owns one, or has even heard one (which I haven't).

Yamaha seem to be the leaders in this field, doing them at a whole range of prices (scroll down):
http://www.hifix.co.uk/yamaha

Some further reading (with a description at bottom of first page):
http://hometheaterreview.com/sound-bar-reviews-wiki-information/

Have a look through WHF reviews here for the Soundbars:
http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/all-in-one-systems/home-cinema-in-a-box

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Crocodile said:
I haven't looked but Sevenoaks often have ex-demo. Don't know if they'll ship to you though. What finish are you after in case I stumble across anything on my Internet travels?

A sound bar is a single powered box with lots of small speakers designed to emulate a 5.1 system with no additional speakers except maybe a sub. If it was acceptable to you it would do away completely with the AV amp & any speaker switching.

http://www.whathifi.com/awards/2011/systems

http://www.whathifi.com/review/yamaha-ysp-2200

Thanks a lot. I would be looking for black oak Silver RX.

Thanks for explanation of sound bar is much clearer now...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
WishTree said:
acalex said:

At the height of sounding repetitive.. I will say this again :twisted:

I use an LCR speakers which is nothing but Left, Right and center three speakers are made into one very wide speaker. It takes three inputs from the AV Receiver and works like three speakers. Please check out the link below. There is a version availalble from MA as well, I guess

http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/home_theatre_speakers/Soundbar/Fact_Sheets/speakers/htf8003/index.html

Sorry Wish, but when you mentioned first time LCR I didn't know what it was :rofl:

Now it makes perfectly sense, thanks for your patience :silenced:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

There have been some good descriptions above......it may be worth starting a thread on, in case someone owns one, or has even heard one (which I haven't).

Yamaha seem to be the leaders in this field, doing them at a whole range of prices (scroll down): http://www.hifix.co.uk/yamaha Some further reading (with a description at bottom of first page): http://hometheaterreview.com/sound-bar-reviews-wiki-information/ Have a look through WHF reviews here for the Soundbars: http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/all-in-one-systems/home-cinema-in-a-box

Indeed, a lot of info. It might be great also considering I am buying a Yamaha AV amplifier....and it is almost decided!

TRENDING THREADS