Connecting two amps at the same speakers, possible?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Indeed, a lot of info. It might be great also considering I am buying a Yamaha AV amplifier....and it is almost decided!

I believe the Yamaha Soundbars have built-in amps, so if you went for a Yamaha amp, you would be better with Wishtree's suggestion of the passive Kef.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Indeed, a lot of info. It might be great also considering I am buying a Yamaha AV amplifier....and it is almost decided!

I believe the Yamaha Soundbars have built-in amps, so if you went for a Yamaha amp, you would be better with Wishtree's suggestion of the passive Kef.

Not just because I suggested the passive LCR speakers, but overall I find passive speakers with AV Receiver being far more flexible and sonically better than the active soundbars like Yamaha.

IMO, Active soundbars caters to some one who want a true all-in-one barring a subwoofer. They are good for that purpose but sonically they are a bit of compromise.

As far as unobtrusive solution is concered, Passive Style speaker packages with an AVReceiver is the best sonically (offer better soundstage and depending on the model have added sonic benefits)

Passive Sounbars (LCR speakers - KEF 8003 or MA LCR or Wharfedale Diamond LCR) are a bit of comprimise wrto soundstaging but offer a very good alternative. Choose the passive soundbar which fits the look & style. Though I have not tried others and KEF seemed to be rated the best out there with a 3 way design in each of the L, C & R it sounds a bit more full, I guess.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
Not just because I suggested the passive LCR speakers, but overall I find passive speakers with AV Receiver being far more flexible and sonically better than the active soundbars like Yamaha.

IMO, Active soundbars caters to some one who want a true all-in-one barring a subwoofer. They are good for that purpose but sonically they are a bit of compromise.

As far as unobtrusive solution is concered, Passive Style speaker packages with an AVReceiver is the best sonically (offer better soundstage and depending on the model have added sonic benefits)

Passive Sounbars (LCR speakers - KEF 8003 or MA LCR or Wharfedale Diamond LCR) are a bit of comprimise wrto soundstaging but offer a very good alternative. Choose the passive soundbar which fits the look & style. Though I have not tried others and KEF seemed to be rated the best out there with a 3 way design in each of the L, C & R it sounds a bit more full, I guess.

I agree.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
A simple passive switchbox can easily be constructed which will switch two amps between one set of speakers. You could even do it with two two-way switches. The return wires don't need to be swtched, only the lives (red).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
A simple passive switchbox can easily be constructed which will switch two amps between one set of speakers. You could even do it with two two-way switches. The return wires don't need to be swtched, only the lives (red).

I think you must have a different definition of "easy," to me! ;)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Here we go. Couldn't get much simpler. This is just the left channel but you'd duplicate it for the right with a second switch.

Basically a two-way-switch has three contacts: a Common (Com) , Live 1 (L1) and Live 2 (L2). Depending on the position of the switch, Com is either connected to L1 or L2, but never both, which is why you can use it for connecting two amps to one speaker. The black (negative) wires can all be connected together: it doesn't matter if they're always linked.

Twoampsonespeaker.jpg

Turn the picture round and of course you could have one amp feeding two sets of speakers (but never both at the same time), which would be another use.

Hope that helps!

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Don't try it! In principle it's simple but switching loads across amplifier outputs just isn't sensible, who knows what the transcient loads would be? And who would want their expensively constructed signal going through the type of touch contacts you get on switches?

Chris

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If you turn the amp off before you flick the switch there won't be any transient loads. What exactly do you think the A-B speaker swtches do on amps? And as for the argument over how the switch affects the sound...sorry I'm not going there. I'm not into that kind of silly HiFi voodoo. If you saw what goes on inside a recording-studio mixing desk (expecially the old ones, pre digital) you'd have a fit if you seriously think that a simple switch in a circuit like that will perceivably mess up the sound.

But at the end of the day, I don't care if he does it or not. But his answer's right there.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
If you turn the amp off before you flick the switch there won't be any transient loads. What exactly do you think the A-B speaker swtches do on amps? And as for the argument over how the switch affects the sound...sorry I'm not going there. I'm not into that kind of silly HiFi voodoo. If you saw what goes on inside a recording-studio mixing desk (expecially the old ones, pre digital) you'd have a fit if you seriously think that a simple switch in a circuit like that will perceivably mess up the sound.

But at the end of the day, I don't care if he does it or not. But his answer's right there.

Major, thanks a lot for the draw, it is actually very clear but I wouldn't risk any damage to my amps (especially Jadis) with an home-made product. It's too long I do not work with this stuff anymore and I lost a lot of practice...

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

Certainly you won't have any transient loads if you turn the amps off but you've got to remember to do that and if you forget .... Just not worth the risk IMO.

With all due respect the type of contact you are going to get in a mechanical switch is going to be poor and will degrade over time. The point I was making is that if you have spent money ensuring a good electrical path from your amplifier to your speakers putting an iffy contact in the middle of it seems a perverse thing to do. I'm not into hifi mumbo-jumbo either but I am into common-sense.

Chris

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
Major, thanks a lot for the draw, it is actually very clear but I wouldn't risk any damage to my amps (especially Jadis) with an home-made product. It's too long I do not work with this stuff anymore and I lost a lot of practice...
No worries mate, I hope you find a method which works well for you :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
acalex said:
No worries mate, I hope you find a method which works well for you :)

I actually haven't found it so far... :(

I will be willing probably to make myself if I could find a documented project with detailed photos and explanation for every step...with a wooden frame probably

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts