Connecting stereo and AV amp to my Subwoofer at the same time?

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I posted this in the AV section a while ago but it's becoming an issue and could really do with help, so apologies for the double posting.

I don't mean to use both at the same time! More connect both and flick between the two. Maybe using a switch of some sort?

The sub has only 2 rca inputs, a dual purpose R/LFE and an L.

If a switch would allow me to connect both amps to one sub, I'm at a loss what to look for as presumably such switches don't account for LFE, more likely multiple inputs for 2 rca (L/R), for more than one stereo amp?

This item appears to solve my problem but is it safe?

http://www.nintronics.co.uk/Cables/cable-accessories/adapters-and-couplers/audioquest-hard-rca-splitter-rca-male-to-2-female-.html?gclid=CLGRm72JoMsCFYEy0wodUFQB4w

This would run a risk if I left the stereo and AV amps both on? Yes? If no, seems the perfect solution.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Narco said:
I posted this in the AV section a while ago but it's becoming an issue and could really do with help, so apologies for the double posting.

I don't mean to use both at the same time! More connect both and flick between the two. Maybe using a switch of some sort?

If a switch would allow me to connect both amps to one sub, I'm at a loss what to look for as presumably such switches don't account for LFE, more likely multiple inputs for 2 rca (L/R), for more than one stereo amp?

http://www.nintronics.co.uk/Cables/cable-accessories/adapters-and-couple...

This would run a risk if I left the stereo and AV amps both on? Yes? If no, seems the perfect solution.

You need a switch rather than a splitter. The splitter you have linked to is for splitting one cable into two - not the other way around. A switch will allow multiple inputs but only one 'switchable' output. I've not used one myself but remember somebody else asking this question a while back. Hopefully somebody who has used one can add to this.

jjbomber

Narco said:

Connect the line out of the AV amp to the line in of the stereo amp. Connect the stereo amp to the subwoofer. Play music as usual through the stereo amp.

Now the fun bit. For Surround sound, set the line in on the stereo amp to the AV line. Hopefully the stereo amp will have a unity gain. Set this on for the relative line input of the AV amp. So if the line out from the AV amp goes to line 3 of the stereo input, fix the unity gain on line 3 of the stereo amp. This means that the volume for line 3 of the stereo amp will be controlled by the AV amp, so all speakers will be controlled by the AV volume.

That should do it. Check with the manuals. If you are still stuck, post the model makes and someone on here will help.

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Narco said:

http://www.nintronics.co.uk/Cables/cable-accessories/adapters-and-couple...

You need a switch rather than a splitter. The splitter you have linked to is for splitting one cable into two - not the other way around. A switch will allow multiple inputs but only one 'switchable' output. I've not used one myself but remember somebody else asking this question a while back. Hopefully somebody who has used one can add to this.

Thanks. I was hoping I would get away with one of those above splitters, putting the L from the stereo amp into L on the sub then using the splitter to put Sub Out from the AV amp AND R from the stereo amp into R on the sub?

Regarding a switch then, I can see how the stereo cables would connect to one but what about the single LFE cable from the AV amp? Would it simply go into just one of the inputs on the switch or would I need a different cable too?

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Petherick said:
I would question whether you need either. Surely just connect AV amp to R and stereo amp to L (using separate cables)?

Not being adept at this sort of thing do you mean simply leave the L part of the cable running from the stereo to the sub unplugged? It is the usual L/R red and white cable. Both are currently connected to the sub when playing music. If I understand you correctly you seem to be saying that I need only connect one and as the AV amp requires R on the sub to connect to the AV amp's Sub Out this would be leaving R on the stereo unplugged?

Hope that makes sense. :D

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Narco said:

Connect the line out of the AV amp to the line in of the stereo amp. Connect the stereo amp to the subwoofer. Play music as usual through the stereo amp.

Now the fun bit. For Surround sound, set the line in on the stereo amp to the AV line. Hopefully the stereo amp will have a unity gain. Set this on for the relative line input of the AV amp. So if the line out from the AV amp goes to line 3 of the stereo input, fix the unity gain on line 3 of the stereo amp. This means that the volume for line 3 of the stereo amp will be controlled by the AV amp, so all speakers will be controlled by the AV volume.

That should do it. Check with the manuals. If you are still stuck, post the model makes and someone on here will help.

Thanks! This sounds like a great idea but I feel that imo it is above my head slightly.

For the record the sub is a Wharfedale DX1, the AV amp is the Yamaha RXV 379 and my stereo is a Cyrus Pre Dac (and X Power)

If you could elaborate further that would be great. I may even understand!

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Each amp only needs to be connected using one of the LFE/R or L connectors. You can if you wish connect both (if your amp has 2 Sub outlets) which MAY give slightly more power from the sub, though I don't think you'd even notice if it did and of course you can always turn it up a bit if needed. So it is possible to connect 2 amplifiers simultaneously to the sub, using the R & L inputs. I can see no reason not to do this.

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Petherick said:
Each amp only needs to be connected using one of the LFE/R or L connectors. You can if you wish connect both (if your amp has 2 Sub outlets) which MAY give slightly more power from the sub, though I don't think you'd even notice if it did and of course you can always turn it up a bit if needed. So it is possible to connect 2 amplifiers simultaneously to the sub, using the R & L inputs. I can see no reason not to do this.

Kind of what I thought but glad someone else said so. Until I come across the definitive answer, I'm going to do as you recommend. For the stereo it's only to add a bit of bass to certain music anyhow. D&B for example. The Cyrus deals with my music wonderfully in the main but sometimes I want it thrown in my face! Thanks.

Narco

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Update

Using one RCA from the Pre Amps pre out (both connected at pre amp end) definitely loses some of the bass, makes sense really. Not happy with this and so it seems I need to:

1. Incorporate the AV Amp into the Cyrus, as mentioned above.....but how I'm not exactly sure.

2. Purchase a switcher box, although I'm unsure how or whether it will cope with an LFE signal / cable, it being single?

3. Use 2 subwoofers!

Can anyone assist with numbers 1 or 2?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts