Connecting Speaker Cable to Onkyo CR515

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Have just bought the Onkyo CR515 and have bought QED anniversary xt speaker cables to attach a pair of MS902i's, it appears the Onkyo does not allow for use of speaker cable plugs (Airlock). The manual seems to require the end of the cable to be twisted around the terminal and then tightened in place. Just wondering whether this type of connection is ok. Just surprised I did not have the option to use plugs.

Thanks.

PS - Rightly or wrongly decided to go with the MS 902i's rather than the Tannoys F'1's. I know they are both great value speakers but had to keep the other half happy with the better looks of the 902i's, I combined with the SOUNDSTYLE Z2 SPEAKER STANDS and they look great.
emotion-21.gif

John Duncan

The way you describe it the 515 has screw terminals on the back that look something like this:

15.jpg

If this is the case, it's likely that the terminals have been blocked to comply with EU law, either by 'bungs' or by having the holes in the end covered in plastic. If the former, remove the bungs with a thin-bladed screwdriver, if the latter, just push banana plugs through the blanking plate until it breaks. I have a feeling that Onkyos have bungs though.

Screw-down connections are actually fine though, some prefer them - I myself think bananas are neater.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Not for the first time, Mr D has it right. The Onkyo has bungs in its speaker terminals, and they can be popped out by hand if your fingernails are strong enough.

I think it's generally a good idea to use banana plugs if you can - they won't stop your speaker cable oxidising over time, but they should slow the process.

John Duncan

Like it (absolution for my ****-up). Middle eastern carpet-weavers deliberately introduce minor mistakes into their carpets, as the only thing that can attain perfection is God himself. Or as I like to tell my children - "Imperfection is cool".

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Like it (absolution for my ****-up). Middle eastern carpet-weavers deliberately introduce minor mistakes into their carpets, as the only thing that can attain perfection is God himself. Or as I like to tell my children - "Imperfection is cool".

i like it, as it makes me pretty darn cool :)

A

Anonymous

John, yep the connectors you show are the ones. I will do as you advise and take out the bungs.

Thanks for your help you have saved me cutting off 4 perfectly good Airlock plugs.

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Popped the bungs out, easy, Airlocks fitted perfectly.

Thanks again.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Middle eastern carpet-weavers deliberately introduce minor mistakes into their carpets, as the only thing that can attain perfection is God himself.
But surely if you make a mistake on purpose, you didn't make a mistake...

TRENDING THREADS