Question Connecting old amp to wireless speakers

tsanctuary

Nov 18, 2019
Visit site
Hi All
Would be very grateful for a bit of advice about a connectivity issue.
I have an old, but wonderful Yamaha Amp, probably from the early 80s. The only input I am likely to use with it is a turntable and possibly a mobile device connected via a phone to jack cable to stream from Spotify.
I am keen to avoid lots of speaker cable, so would like to find a way to connect the amp to a new wireless speaker.
I have seen wireless adaptors out there, but don’t know which is best and it looks to me like I’d have to plug them in via the headphone jack on the amp.
Anyway, any advice much appreciated
Tom

tsanctuary

Nov 18, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for getting in touch
I don’t really have a speaker in mind yet. I guess something pretty good quality up to 400 pounds that allows connection to an old amp in a fairly smooth, fuss-free way, if such a thing exists

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Further question: is your Yamaha amp necessary?

If you have a turntable and a (presumably bluetooth-capable) source and want to use a wireless speaker, I'd grab a phono preamp, run that into whatever line-level (phono or 3.5mm jack) input is available, and then use bluetooth (or WiFi) for your mobile device.

Keeps everything nice and neat.

Chris

scene

If you have a turntable and a (presumably bluetooth-capable) source and want to use a wireless speaker, I'd grab a phono preamp, run that into whatever line-level (phono or 3.5mm jack) input is available, and then use bluetooth (or WiFi) for your mobile device.

Chris
I suppose it depends if the OP wants to keep the Yamaha to feed an existing stereo pair and then send the output to another wireless speaker(s),nor just connect wireless speakers to the Yamaha?

tsanctuary

Nov 18, 2019
Visit site

Chris

I suppose the reason is mainly about cost and a slight sentimental attachment. I thought perhaps naively that there would be some sort of clever device that I could plug in to the amp to allow it to send the audio signal to a wireless speaker. So although I do have pair of wired speakers I wasn’t planning on using them at the same time (also under some pressure from my wife to keep clutter to a minimum)

tsanctuary

Nov 18, 2019
Visit site

Chris

Hi Chris
My wireless issue is hopefully soon sorted, but I remembered your response recently and thought you might be able to help.
We’re thinking of buying a Yamaha network amp (perhaps Yamaha rn803) which should work well with our turntable and other devices. I was looking at wireless Bookshelf speakers to pair it with and it struck me that it might be completely unnecessary to go for an amp like that given that wireless speakers are all powered by an internal amp. Does it make more sense to go for a wireless pre amp (e.g Yamaha wxc50) or is there something to be gained from pairing an integrated amp with a speaker like a Dali Zensor 1, or similar.
your thoughts appreciated
T

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Check out the Monitor Audio WT-1 / WR-1 Wireless Audio Transmitter & Receiver Kit. This could use your amplifier pre-out connection to stream wirelessly to the matching receiver which can feed a wireless speaker/s with RCA inputs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts