Connecting and iPOD to a HiFi?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

My current system comprises an Arcam CD73 and an Arcam 480 Amp from which I drive, in separate rooms, pairs of Quad 11, Audio Monitor CI miniature wall mounted and KEF ceiling mounted speakers via a QED SS21 switch.

The CD73 has been playing up for ages and is driving me mad even though it has been 'repaired'. Does this series have a history or is it just my model?

Anyway I have access to an iPOD Classic and so am exploring connecting it to my system rather than buying a new CD player.

Does anyone have any advice on the best options and products to buy to connect the iPOD to my system?

idc

Hi bellyporc. I had an Arcam Alpha 7 which packed in. I dont think there is a particular problem with Arcam CDPs, I think it is just your luck. As for ipod to amp, I replaced an Arcam CD62 with an ipod and have not looked back since. The various ways to connect an ipod to an amp are as follows.............

Regards to the ways of connecting an ipod directly to an amp:

- LOD or line out dock. A connector goes into the port at the base of the ipod and a cable runs to either a mini jack or phonos, which then plug into the amp. This connection usually bypasses the ipods own amplifier, but not its DAC. The volume is then controlled by the amplifier. The ipod is not charged through the LOD. Examples of LODs are the GQ-24 from Russ Andrews and the iBasso CB03. Both sound excellent.

- Dock. The dock connects through the ipod's port, but it also charges the ipod and does not always bypass the ipods amp, so the connection is different. Many docks then connect by minijack to minijack or to phono cables. Examples are from Cambridge, Apple and Arcam. See What Hifi reviews as many docks are not great.

- Minijack. A minijack cable from the headphone output at the top of the ipod to minijack or phono. The headphone out is the least effective way of connecting an ipod to anything. There are loads of such cables on Amazon and ebay, most for under a tenner and that cheapness reflects the lower standard of connection.

- the Wadia itransport. This bypasses the ipod's amp and DAC. Phono cables are then used to connect it to the amp. It is expensive and reviewed by What Hifi.

The alternative to the above is not to use an ipod at all. A PC with itunes connects to the amp via a DAC. Some amps have their own internal DAC. The PC usually connects to such an amp with a USB cable. Otherwise the DAC sits between PC and amp. The connection by PC to DAC is either USB, optical or digital cable. The DAC then connects to amp by phono cables.

There are other variations, but the above are the most common.

A

Anonymous

Hi IDC,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

It looks like the best two options are 1 and 2 so I'll explore both. Is the key bypassing the ipod amp? If so does it matter at what volume you set the ipod?

Also sound quality depend on what input channels you use when plugging it in to the A80?

Thanks again

idc

bellyporc:

Hi IDC,

I'm idc. There is also an I.D.C on the forum and people get us confused, even What Hifi
emotion-5.gif

bellyporc:

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

Er, its a copy and paste I use as so many people ask that question...it saves time....

bellyporc:

It looks like the best two options are 1 and 2 so I'll explore both. Is the key bypassing the ipod amp? If so does it matter at what volume you set the ipod?

If you use a LOD it bypasses the ipods volume control, a reason why the SQ is better than using the minijack connector. The volume control is then by the amp. For docks, it depends on the dock and you will just have to play about with both volumes.

bellyporc:

Also sound quality depend on what input channels you use when plugging it in to the A80?

Avoid phono, if a phono card is fitted and tape out, otherwise there should be no difference.

bellyporc:

Thanks again

Your welcome
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts