connecting a receiver on a PC

yiannis550

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
Hello, I have a question regarding the connection of a Receiver to a PC. I know there are receivers that connect through an Ethernet cable or wireless connection on a PC for movie and music (including internet radio) playback. However my budget for the reciever is only up to £1000 and I really want to get one of those amazing award winning Onkyos. this equals to the 875 model since the 905 with networking features is about £400 more (if I remember well), So is there any other way to connect the receiver on a nework? Perhaps a wireless bridge that outputs audio and video signals? My budget for such a device is about £100-150. By the way I am about to have my first B&W 600 series audition :) setup for the audition will be onkyo 805, B&W 685 theater package without the subwoofer (the dealer doesn't have the 608 sub nor the onkyo 875 on demo) and a panasonic 1000 projector. (no PT AE 2000 on DEMO either) I will let you know how it goes. PS the price the dealer gave me (seven oaks) was a surprise as it was about the same as I could get, buying from several internet shops but he included installation with all cables hidden in the walls! I guess because it is a fairly large order, he was able to give me good discount. I will give you more details of the package and offer after the DEMO :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="yiannis550"]Is there any other way to connect the receiver on a nework? Perhaps a wireless bridge that outputs audio and video signals? My budget for such a device is about £100-150.[/quote]

You could try this Linksys unit, available for £150 from PC World at the moment. It will stream anything up to HD, and has component, composite, S-video, Scart and HDMI outputs, plus analogue and digital audio.

A

Anonymous

I was also looking at this though my budget was substantially less than yours. The best unit I could find was the Netgear EVA8000. I was told that it was a more professional and reliable product but it does cost a bit more than the Linksys - around £195 from memory. In either case I believe it will need direct ethernet connection as wifi g will not have the necessary bandwidth for HD. I was contemplating using one of the Homeplug type devices to avoid running ethernet cabling.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

A

Anonymous

Just in case you were thinking of getting one in the future, the PS3 does the media streaming, amoungst other things.

yiannis550

Jul 14, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

Thank you all for your replies. I will check them out. However the most interesting is the last one:
Richard you are saying that a PS3 will get content from my PC (mp3s, movies etc.) and stream it to my Onkyo? That would be fantastic. I was planning to get a PS3 indeed!

A

Anonymous

You will need Windows media player 11, or windows media connect. May have to disble your PC's firewall for the PS3 to find the PC, then all your unprotected digital media is accessible under the media server section of the PS3.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="StringerBell"]
Can I connect my iMac to the PS3 to watch videos?

[/quote]

Looks to me like you need Eye Connect, which loads onto your Mac and allows it to stream to your PS3.

$50, or about £25 - you can download a fully-functional trial version here, but after 30 days you have to buy it if you want to carry on streaming movies, though it'll carry on working for music only after the trial expires.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="StringerBell"]
Can I connect my iMac to the PS3 to watch videos?

[/quote]

Looks to me like you need Eye Connect, which loads onto your Mac and allows it to stream to your PS3.

$50, or about £25 - you can download a fully-functional trial version here, but after 30 days you have to buy it if you want to carry on streaming movies,

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

My PS3 is connected to my ethernet cable and can connect to the internet with no problems.

I cannot find any media servers when using the search facility on the PS3 - if I disable my firewall (Norton Internet Security 2007) to allow the PS3 to find my PC will I then be able to enable the firewall again?

Thanks,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Mine makes me turn off the firewall to find the PC but then I can sometimes re enable my firewall. its very tempremental.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts