Confused RE the Samsung F86 series...!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In recent editions of What Hi-Fi the Samsung 46F86 has been getting rave reviews. January saw it deemed the best in test after the Sony X series was deemed overpriced. "The holy grail of looks and substantial performance"... In the new What Hi-Fi magazine (April), within the suppliment its again "still" a 5 star product and recommended as he best buy in the Ultimate Games Room. However within the 40" supertest (same issue) the Samsung 40F86 gets a fairly average review. Overblown colour / lack of insight in to blacks are the main reasons for a 4 star rating rather than a 5 star rating. My question is what does the 46" set have over the 40" set? As none of the short comings of the 40F86 were mentioned in the 46F86 review (and due to the very different comments made in each). I presume as the 46" set has something the 40" set has... sorry to be a pain but I am curious as to what?

A

Anonymous

you'll be surprised how much of a difference you can get with a 40" and 46" screens even of the same model.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've seen as much as two-stars difference in performance between sets of the same brand in the same range at varying sizes (the panel may be made in a totally different factory for a start). Add the fact that competition is far fiercer at the smaller screen size and the reason for the star-rating difference becomes clearer still.

A

Anonymous

I was kinda thinking that would be the case / response.

So for the record, was the Samsung 40F86 marked down because of price (due to that segment being very competitive) or performance (as the review seemed more to indicate).

Also in your opinion does the 46F86 possess a better picture than the 40F86 (i.e down to better panel for instance) or is the 46" version simply marked as a 5 star product because of what you deem to be a less competitive sector?

Sorry to ask so many questions but the world of LCD TV is soo confusing :-( lol

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We were certainly more impressed by the picture on the 46in version - it seemed to compensate better for LCD issues like black-levels, contrast etc

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare...

Perhaps I am still stuck in the CRT world where by (in general) if the 28" set got a good review, you could pretty much bank on say the 32" version being as good.

Seem's like it all hinges on what panel you get with the flatscreens and I guess the moral of the story is simply wait for you guys to review each size within the range as there is a good chance that the differences could be extremely far reaching (even though its from the same range and manufacturer).

Do you think its worth running a feature on this??? Or would it create hell with the manufacturer's (i.e burnt bridges)?

I've had a keen interest in Audio Visual for years and was none the wiser RE the above...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've been happily pointing it out for a while (in mag and online), and will continue to do so. Plus continue to try and get in as many sets as possible!

A

Anonymous

Perhaps I have had my rose tinted specs on as I have bought the last 6 issues and seen nothing, however as the 46" review came before the 40" review, I guess that its hard to retrospectively comment on the above.

Thanks for the input though, its really interesting to know there can be such variation between the same model just in a different size.

I shall keep a keen eye out in future editions of the mag before deciding of what to buy. Thanks for clearing the above up and just one last thing. In the 46" sector, do you still stick (as per your January review) that given the price difference the Samsung 46F86 is still a better buy than the Sony 46X3500?

I have sort of whittled my second LCD purchase down to these two...

Many thanks...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If they were the same price i'd pick the Sony, but it just doesn't justifiy its premium over the Samsung. Mind you, (spanner in works time) i'm looking forward to seeing Panasonic's new 46in plasmas (sorry!)

A

Anonymous

Tell me about it... I must admit to being a bit of a Panasonic fanboy (ever since my first proper job at Dixons 10 years ago now). Just the most consistent manufacturer for me and I (along with family and friends) have never been dissatisfied with any set we have bough.

I reckon its a given that their new sets are gonna be right up there, its just I would want their flagship range and just can't wait that long. I also agree and accept that the Sony X series is a smidge better than the Samsung F Series, however they are doing the Samsung 46F86 for £1390 at my local Cost Co (the cheapest I can find the Sony is £2150 ish) and for me its just not anywhere near that much better (as you kindly commented after the January review).

Thanks for the help Clare... I think it will have to be F86 for now as that appears to be the best 46" LCD (for the money) right now, then perhaps a Panasonic Plasma when they do eventually launch (with the Samsung retiring to the games room) ;-) lol

A

Anonymous

Well I took the mag's advice and bought the Samsumg 46 incher, BUT, I'm finding it's got some annoying black blurring on screen.

I've seen lots of comments on resolving this, but IS it resolvable?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nate247"]I must admit to being a bit of a Panasonic fanboy (ever since my first proper
job at Dixons 10 years ago now). Just the most consistent manufacturer for me
and I (along with family and friends) have never been dissatisfied with any set
we have bought.[/quote]

Having said that there seems to be quite a high number of posts/topics on here complaining about the quality of the Panasonic panels (backlight bleed,colouration)...and none about Sony (said as a Sonyboy ;) )

A

Anonymous

DSC01862.jpg

see image

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts