Computer as music source

jzwakefield

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys

I'm looking for the best computer to use for playback. I use Audirvana through an early 2011 MacBookPro but I'm wondering if one of the newer mac minis or even laptops would be better. I like the convenience of a laptop but someone told me there would be a better sound from a mac mini.

Is this true?

I'd like to stay with mac as I'm a photographer and use that platform extensively at work.

Thank you for your help

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Best thing you could do is keep your old one and spend the money on upgrading what you have. First port of call could well be an outboard DAC. The DACs in 2011 MBPs and Mac Minis are ok, but not exceptional. But with that said, you don't say what files you're playing (lossless, MP3, something else) nor what the rest of your system is. You hint that you have the money for a new Mac Mini, that's £400+. If you've got £400+ sloshing around in an 'improve my HiFi' fund, there's a whole load of different ways to spend it depending on what the rest of your system is.

K

keeper of the quays

Are you playing the music from mac to amp to speakers?

jzwakefield

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi. Yes, sorry I was a bit vague. I'm using AIFF files on an external HDD playing through Audirvana on the computer and fed by a Wireworld Supernova 6 Optical cable to a Hegel 160 amp and Neat Mystique II speakers. I'm using Naim cable ( a hangover from an old Naim gear I had )

I can afford a new Mac Mini or similar. Not too keen on splashing a huge amount on MBP or something just for music playback though.

I could try using the USB outpub of the Mac if you reckon it would help things along ?

Anyway, if you can make a couple of suggestions I'd be most grateful.

jzwakefield

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Well I wrote to Hegel and they replied saying they used a mac air for demo-ing the Hegel amps and that the MBP in question would be fine so no need to use anything else.

K

keeper of the quays

jzwakefield said:
Well I wrote to Hegel and they replied saying they used a mac air for demo-ing the Hegel amps and that the MBP in question would be fine so no need to use anything else.
doesn't surprise me at all..im of the opinion that apple dacs are amazing bits of kit..i have streamed you tube thru my musical fidelity dac, my dac magic and just last night i borrowed a quad cd/ pre amp and streamed you tube through that quad dac and my little ipod touch 4 was still clearly superior...i have banged on about t amps with ipods and if you wanted left of centre? Curveball? Moment! Go t amp! Lol..but they cost £20...of course its going to sound horrid..its £20? Mmm....i have this ipod thru t amp to 2k speakers..but what do i know?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
jzwakefield said:
They still probably used it through an external DAC. I'd cautiously recommend looking to source one within your price range for a home demo, to see if it improves the sound. If it doesn't, well nothing ventured etc. I'm not familiar with your amp (you can tell from my signature I'm somewhat old skool) but if it has a built-in DAC already, you could try using that. You would connect your computer to an outboard DAC/amp via either USB or via an optical cable from the headphone socket (which also doubles as an optical-out)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts