Complete new system advice!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm currently running a 7year old system, consisting of Denon separates with Eltax floorstanders...they sounded ok in our old house, but since we've moved & refurbed it (and consequently run out of money) the system no longer sounds the way I want it too.

I've tried several systems out in the recent 2 weeks and have pretty much fallen in love with the sound of the B&W 685's & 684's. The difficulty I'm having is with the amp & CD. Initially I intended on opting on the Marantz 6002 amp & CD...however I thought I'd also test the Roksan Kandy Mk iii & Mk Liii setup & the Cyrus 6vs2 & cd6se.

The Cyrus sounded fantastic but to be honest I've tried 3 cd6se's and although they sounded good they just wouldn't read some cd's....different units and different cds. I cannot live with this......too frustrating (they'd take the disc in but then the disc error message came up.)

The Roksan sounded great.....very different to the Cyrus......but I feel the amp lacked ooomfff!

This system is going in our dining room, the room measures 11ft x 14ft with 8.5ft ceilings! Solid oak floor, full length curtains across french doors and a rug in the middle. I enjoy listening to a broad selection of music (except rock / heavy metal) including R&B, house, dance, hip hop, jazz, classical etc

I'd like to spend around the £800 mark (not including speakers) can anyone recommend something suitable that fits the bill. Also I'm thinking of wall mounting the 685s on angled brackets (walls are solid brick with plasterboard on dabs). Will this cause any issues?

Apologies for such a long message but I want to make sure I get it right!

Cheers,

David

A

Anonymous

Forgot to mention, the room measures 11ft x 14ft with 8.5ft ceilings!

A

Anonymous

A Roksan Kandy LIII lacks 'ommpph' for you? That's a first!

A

Anonymous

EvilWolf:A Roksan Kandy LIII lacks 'ommpph' for you? That's a first!

I just didn't find it crisp and clear...but it could have been a bad demo, maybe worth another trial then.

The best sound I managed to achieve was by combining the Roksan CD player with the Cyrus Amp.....however could not have it like this at home as it looked ridiculous.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
dasherdiablo1:
EvilWolf:A Roksan Kandy LIII lacks 'ommpph' for you? That's a first!

I just didn't find it crisp and clear...but it could have been a bad demo, maybe worth another trial then.

The best sound I managed to achieve was by combining the Roksan CD player with the Cyrus Amp.....however could not have it like this at home as it looked ridiculous.

I think you are quite right there. Problem with the rega's are that they might be to polite for you and the speakers, very good products though.

With the money you have available I'd suggest you listen to both Denon pma1500 series and onkyo's midrange digital amplifier and one of the companies cdp's. Both not the fashionable choice but perhaps better than anything english for the money or even slightly more.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If you want something that is going to smack you around the head then Naim is the obvious answer.

My experience of the CD5i and Nait 5i was pretty brutal. Even flowing classical like "For unto us a Child is born" (Handel's Messiah, Phillips, John Eliot Gardiner) and "A Feather on the Breath of God" (Hildegard Von Bingen, Gothic Voices) could have peeled paint at ten paces and at medium volume.

With rock/pop (some favourite tracks from XTC's English Settlement for instance) the Naims could remove fillings and leave you bruised and whimpering. If an audio 'mugging' is what you are after, then you must try this combination.

I heard the 5i duo after they had been left 'warming' overnight (demo models not new from box) and connected with Naim's own 5 pin connector and their own brand speaker cable on Rega R3's and Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers (Gold or Silver I cannot recall now) on Partington dreadnought stands.

Not my cup of tea but the dealer was raving about them so you may also.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Good description. Acquired taste. Problem for the nait5i (imo) is the 8vs2. Just as rhythmical, very pacey, more detail and much better treble. Upgradeable too. Just sounds nicer to me and worth seeking out s/h or ex dem.

A

Anonymous

One of the systems which would go well with B&W 680series is Arcam FMJ! (I don't recommend them too much, but this is a situation which they would excel). The Arcam A32 and CD36 would be fantastic - search for them around £600 each...they are the same price as the Roksan equipment but far more suited to B&W because of the slightly more reccessed treble and the more gutsy nature which is what they need...B&W speakers NEED power and LOTS OF IT! I wouldn't go for anything under 100watts for those speakers.

Have you also thought about newer Denon products or the high-end Rotel products?

A

Anonymous

Well I did the deed today and bought a Cyrus 8vs2 amp and a Cyrus CD6S, using QED QUNEX Silver Spiral for interconnection. I've positioned them side by side on a rather solid set of pine drawers that house my CD collection. I got a great deal and it sounds so crisp..although rather obviously my Eltax floorstanders are rubbish and in no way do the combo justice!

So now the hunt is on for a decent pair of speakers to reveal their true capabilities. I'm going to connect up with QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wire. So now my shortlist is Dali Ikon 5s, B&W 685s or B&W 684s.....does anyone have any recommendations?

TRENDING THREADS