Comparison naim nait xs3 rega Elicit mk5

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Another good reason not to buy a Naim.

Since last Saturday afternoon our current store system which is playing as I write this btw is an AM-HiEnd D/A-1 DAC > Naim Audio Nait XS 3 > 500 strand speaker cables > Monitor Audio 5G Gold 200's. Sounds fab and with no issues whatsoever with this our current demo/display Nait XS 3 or for that matter any of our previous Nait XS 3's we've used over the last three years regardless of speaker cables used.

Besides which you're a nobody without a Naim :)

D

Deleted member 195594

I think this goes only for their old amps. New ones should work with any type of cables.
This is definitely the case. I've used Tellurium, QED and Atlas speaker cables with the Nait 5si and Nait XS2 with no adverse effects 👍

D

Deleted member 195594

How old is old?
Old in the Naim context, and the need to use NAC A5 goes back to Chrome Bumper, Olive Lines etc. I'm not sure of the exact dividing line (lines/models), but if you're buying a new Nait today, or the current NAC/NAPs, or gear such as the Atom, using non-NAC A5 speaker cable shouldn't be a problem. I queried this on the Naim Community Forum last year when I re-entered the Naim game, and this was the response/general wisdom I received back then.

Old in the Naim context, and the need to use NAC A5 goes back to Chrome Bumper, Olive Lines etc. I'm not sure of the exact dividing line (lines/models), but if you're buying a new Nait today, or the current NAC/NAPs, or gear such as the Atom, using non-NAC A5 speaker cable shouldn't be a problem. I queried this on the Naim Community Forum last year when I re-entered the Naim game, and this was the response/general wisdom I received back then.
In that case, what numpty brought the subject up? From the last few posts it made it sound like it's current models as well.

Nevertheless less, Naim have always tended to over-complicate their equipment. I know when I home demoed the Nait 5i the dealer said the cables had to be connected in a certain way. Why can't Naim just put L and R on the speaker terminals like any normal brand?

With a sound that does not appeal to me, they seem to play by their own rules.

Reactions: WayneKerr
D

Deleted member 195594

In that case, what numpty brought the subject up? From the last few posts it made it sound like it's current models as well.

Nevertheless less, Naim have always tended to over-complicate their equipment. I know when I home demoed the Nait 5i the dealer said the cables had to be connected in a certain way. Why can't Naim just put L and R on the speaker terminals like any normal brand?

I agree, that really ticked me off; the L & R speaker outs being positioned R & L, I mean Why?

I think the OP was quite concerned re: this matter. Hope this issue is put to bed 😂

I'm happy to have moved away from Naim; they remind me of Apple and their proprietary sockets and plugs when the USB standard was forced on all other Smart Phone manufacturers. But that's a different story 🤔

I agree, that really ticked me off; the L & R speaker outs being positioned R & L, I mean Why?

I think the OP was quite concerned re: this matter. Hope this issue is put to bed 😂

I'm happy to have moved away from Naim; they remind me of Apple and their proprietary sockets and plugs when the USB standard was forced on all other Smart Phone manufacturers. But that's a different story 🤔
Yes, just seems pointless. I've heard many of their amps, including various incarnations of pre/power combos. The only one that didn't sound like fingers down a blackboard was the original XS connected to Dynaudio Contour S1.4. However, those standmounts are so ridiculously big, the average room can't accommodate them. They're like small floorstanders turned horizontal- you need to buy a bus ticket to get from front to back 😋

I think this goes only for their old amps. New ones should work with any type of cables.
That’s what I’d thought too. Then a few months ago I happened to check their published manual, in trying to answer a query, and sure enough they still insist on their brand and 3.5 metres minimum. But cryptically they don’t say which models of amp it applies to. Not helpful is it?

Last edited:
That’s what I’d thought too. Then a few months ago I happened to check their published manual, in trying to answer a query, and sure enough they still insist on their brand and 3.5 metres minimum. But cryptically they don’t say which models. Not helpful is it?
Certainly doesn't encourage anyone who wants to get into the brand. I don't care personally, but unless they state which models, look elsewhere.

Just my apathetic opinion.

D

Deleted member 195594

This confirms what I said a couple of posts ago, they over complicate their stuff when complication isn't needed.
That's one of the reasons I moved elsewhere; I didn't want have to 2nd guess, and throw in whatever cables I pleased. As noted; the manuals still state the requirement for NAC A4 or 5, but don't state that newer lines are fine with other brand cables.

It's not great for new Naim customers

That's got nothing to do with their technical ability.
I am also not saying that all other amps suck.
Wasn't questioning Naims technical ability, in a technical sense they are ballsy. The Leema does everything you expect from Naim without tearing your teeth out.

My initial response was to Rickcraft post "lifes too short to be boring", referring to Naims presentation.

For my taste Naum amplification is too harsh.

Reactions: Al ears
Pleased for you. As I'm not a dealer I can be more honest towards different brands.

Dealer bias? This is a new one to me pp and from you too. I think my feelings have been hurt :D

Anyway I am pleased that you're in an honest mood so therefore how about you now show some decency and finally apologise for how you grossly and falsely tried to discredit me last year regarding Leema. I hope and trust that alongside honesty, decency also exists in your world.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts