Combined DAC/headphone amp up to £300?

Scot1970

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

I want to take the best advantage of my digital music collection (CD lossles FLAC and downloaded high-res FLACs) on my desktop - soon to be replaced with a laptop. Please can you recommend a decent DAC/headphone amp for, say, £300 or under. I was thinking of the Arcam rPac at £150, but the Meridian Explorer at £250 gets a good review. I will be using a range of headphones: Grado SR80i, AKG K550 & Shure SE425.

Any thoughts or shared experiences would be greatly received.

Thank you

Scot

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site

I use the Meridian Explorer with a Mac Mini with very good results and Amazon are doing a great deal at the moment :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meridian-Audio-Explorer-USB-DAC/dp/B00BCJWTAM

Scot1970

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
...Have you experienced one? I like the fact it has its own volume control. That's what kinda puts me off the Meridian and HRT a tad. I would rather not have to fiddle with the keyboard and the volume icon in the computer's icon tray - a straight forward volume knob is much more appealling. Having said that, how does the Matrix sound against these other devices?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
It's a good dac and I'm having one now on home demo linked between Mac Mini and Yamaha HS8... however I've got 2 others contenders but pricier.. I can't compare Matrix to Meridian or HRT cause I didn't try them.. I've used Yamahas with Marantz M-CR510 [ overall good sound, 'Marantz like' but probably bit too bassy in my room and I'm only using it from headphones out as there's no other audio out], Benchmark Dac 2 [ good but overpriced, nothing amazing, just different sound signature then Marantz.. fuller soundstage, more attack and vocals stand out.. could be good but not for £1500], Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 v2 [ didn't fall in love.. thin a bit harsh.. nothing special] and Matrix [ best value to sound dac, headphones amp really nice but I'm still shopping for a new cans so used only with my old and trused Technics - btw, very good cans].

I really need to try new Pioneer U-05 and Marantz HD DAC 1.. all three will play DSD - it's rather important for me; only 18 months ago I wasn't that much aware of hi-rez music but today have about 200 hi-rez albums so for me [ buying new DAC] today it's good to have DSD cause you never know what next 18 months brings.

Scot1970

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
I'm also thinking that perhaps I could get a Portable player that could also double as a DAC/amp. Do you know of the X5 and how it stands against other DAC/amps?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
I really need to try new Pioneer U-05 and Marantz HD DAC 1.. all three will play DSD - it's rather important for me; only 18 months ago I wasn't that much aware of hi-rez music but today have about 200 hi-rez albums so for me [ buying new DAC] today it's good to have DSD cause you never know what next 18 months brings.

I haven't listened extensively, but I'd say the Pioneer is a more analytical, detailed sound while the Marantz is a bit smoother and more laid back. I read a review that rated it as a little better than the SA-14S1. I was disappointed to find out that the wooden sides of the Marantz are actually plastic. Build quality is meant to be better than the Chinese assembled Pioneer. The Marantz doesn't have balanced outs while the Pioneer does, if that's of any significance to you.

Porknocker

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
The only decent DAC with a decent headphone output below that price is the new Beresford Caiman MKII (TC-7534). I bought the first Caiman after reading about it in a 2009 review in WHF. And boy, did that first Caiman turn out to be a legend or what! So I was very much interested in finding ut what the MKII was about and took up the offer of a money back trial offer. It drives my K701 and HD650 brilliantly, and that is just one of its many outstanding capabilities. The best I have heard them sound on any headphone output socket below £1K. I can go on a rave about it and what I compared it against before deciding to keep it, but I would prefer to see WHF do a feature or review on it. Even more so since it is from a British designer, or which we now have so few in the audio trade.
So if you are after a DAC/headphone amp then the money back guarantee offer on the Caiman MKII is well worth a punt. Even more impressive was the fact that I sold my Caiman TC-7520SE on at close to 2/3rd o what I paid for it. Not bad for a 5 year old DAC. So they do seem to hold their value as well as sound good.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Porknocker said:
The only decent DAC with a decent headphone output below that price is the new Beresford Caiman MKII (TC-7534). I bought the first Caiman after reading about it in a 2009 review in WHF. And boy, did that first Caiman turn out to be a legend or what! So I was very much interested in finding ut what the MKII was about and took up the offer of a money back trial offer. It drives my K701 and HD650 brilliantly, and that is just one of its many outstanding capabilities. The best I have heard them sound on any headphone output socket below £1K. I can go on a rave about it and what I compared it against before deciding to keep it, but I would prefer to see WHF do a feature or review on it. Even more so since it is from a British designer, or which we now have so few in the audio trade.So if you are after a DAC/headphone amp then the money back guarantee offer on the Caiman MKII is well worth a punt. Even more impressive was the fact that I sold my Caiman TC-7520SE on at close to 2/3rd o what I paid for it. Not bad for a 5 year old DAC. So they do seem to hold their value as well as sound good.

Do they have permanent problem with their website or is it just temporary issue?

Porknocker

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
Do they have permanent problem with their website or is it just temporary issue?

I bought from their home hifi website. But I think that they must have been updating their website in the last few days. I noticed a new headphone amplifier there today that was not there last Friday. The headphone amp looks good! I might order one under their 10 day trial policy this week. I need something good to drive my Sennheiser HD800.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Porknocker said:
The only decent DAC with a decent headphone output below that price is the new Beresford Caiman MKII (TC-7534). I bought the first Caiman after reading about it in a 2009 review in WHF. And boy, did that first Caiman turn out to be a legend or what! So I was very much interested in finding ut what the MKII was about and took up the offer of a money back trial offer. It drives my K701 and HD650 brilliantly, and that is just one of its many outstanding capabilities. The best I have heard them sound on any headphone output socket below £1K. I can go on a rave about it and what I compared it against before deciding to keep it, but I would prefer to see WHF do a feature or review on it. Even more so since it is from a British designer, or which we now have so few in the audio trade.So if you are after a DAC/headphone amp then the money back guarantee offer on the Caiman MKII is well worth a punt. Even more impressive was the fact that I sold my Caiman TC-7520SE on at close to 2/3rd o what I paid for it. Not bad for a 5 year old DAC. So they do seem to hold their value as well as sound good.

I'm no expert on DACs by any means, but having just treated myself to a new Beresford Caiman Mk II all I can do is concur with the above sentiments. Absolutely top drawer and the headphone output is sublime.

SteveR750

Scot1970 said:
I'm also thinking that perhaps I could get a Portable player that could also double as a DAC/amp. Do you know of the X5 and how it stands against other DAC/amps?

I'm about to try out the beyerdynamic A200p (and a Cambridge XS) with IE80 and DT880 and Grado SR80 (the original versions). I'll let you know, but the reference is my CA Dacmagic +

cleggton

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
You could try one of the offerings from ifi. I have the ifi iDSD micro and have to say that I am well impressed.

They do a non-DSD DAC (Micro) and some Nano products that should come within your range.

On the plus side they make matching components (Tube headphone amps, power conditioners etc) should the upgrade bug bite.

SteveR750

Porknocker said:

What input are you using? IME using USB HAS to be async USB2.0 for optimum SQ. Although my main system is fed with an optical capable Laptop, I prefer the flexibility of USB. How does it sound as a system DAC line output into the amp / speakers?

What about power supply, from what I have read it's best used using an Ankaka battery, which just isn't a practical solution for my home system, as it would be re[placing the Dacmagic+. I love the DM with my amp and speakers, but the headphone output is a bit harsh and lacking in subtle detail (probably due it's somewhat high output impedance of upto 50ohm) I'd try the iRdac but it doesn't have a headphone output, conversely I'm not sure how good some of the headphone DAC amps are in line out mode (if they even have it).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts