CM9 + PM7005 + Bluesound 2 - Opinions

Hi guys,

My first post so I hope I am in the right place. Just wanted some opinions and some direction if I am going wrong here?

I am choosing a new HiFi for a new apartment I have just moved into. I used to have a Marantz MCR603 and B&W CM5 speakers and I really loved the sound (although I am sure some of you will think the 40W Per channel AMP was not really enough for the speakers). I sold that kit to a friend a while back and now want to buy a new system.

All my music is on Tidal. Very select few ALAC / FLAC files on my macbook pro.

AMP - Marantz PM7005 - Digital USB inputs to connect my Mac and use Tidal - Assume that works?

Streamer - New Bluesound Node 2

Speakers - B&W CM9 - Have been offered these at £970 for a Demo pair from my local HiFi store, pristine condition.

Opinions?

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I havent heard any of the above so take my comments with a pinch of salt, but i would say a PM7005 probably wouldnt do a pair of CM9's justice, bearing in mind they are a £2000 pair of speakers full retail! What is your upper budget for the amp?

I'm maybe being a digital numpty here, but why need the DAC in the amp, surely the streamer has a DAC? In which case go for a PM8005?

PS corking deal getting the CM9's sub £2k! Yowzer, nice one!

RLCCM

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
dont know about your amp etc, but i have tested CM9's - I find them to be very good all-round speakers, well balanced, clear presentation that is not fatigueing, and seem to work well with a wide variety of amps and types of music. Their strength is their flexibility though - they are certainly not unbeatable if it's a specific music you listen to, however, if you have a generally broad musical taste, they will do you a lot of justice and are good enough to match well to whatever equipment you may end up buying in the future if you decide to step up the amp for instance (probably adviseable)..At that price too, they are somewhat a bargain!.

Well that is what I though on the Amp front but the chaps in the store seem to think the PM7005 'will drive the CM9's perfectly', they said their reference amp is a NAD 45W Per channel and that drivem them fine too. Considering B&W are easy to drive maybe they are corect. I guess not exactly worlds of difference between 60 and 70 WPC?

Correct about the DAC in the Bluesound, plus I think its the same DAC too. I have put a deposit on the amp as its a special order, but wanted it due to the digital inputs, as the 8005 doesnt have any Digi inputs and I ideally wanted to connect the amp and streamer with an optical cable....

Choices choices...

So do you think that the CM5's and Stands would sound 'better' that the CM9's on this setup? ie keep the amp and bluesound the same and change the speakers to the cm5 s2's?

I listen to a huge variety, definitely not tweeter or sub focused as such. Very middling variety

RLCCM

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
I would think it would depend on your room to some extent, but other than space saving, i doubt there is any benefit to the cm5 over the cm9 - the is a considerably better speaker overall, particularly for scale and bass, jusitfying its much higher rrp.

if anything i would snap up the cm9's - before someone else does at that price!

as for Amp, as i say, i know little about those particular models but would think that 40wpc should manage the cm9, though im no expert. A better quality amp though will really bring out the qualities of the speaker though.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Christopher West said:
I have put a deposit on the amp as its a special order, but wanted it due to the digital inputs, as the 8005 doesnt have any Digi inputs and I ideally wanted to connect the amp and streamer with an optical cable....

Choices choices...

My understanding is that the DAC in the Bluesound is pretty good, so connecting it to your amp with RCA analogue cables would not downgrade the system in anyway. And the Node 2 has an optical input for other stuff anyway should you need it (TV for example), so I would have been inclined to go with the slightly higher grade PM8005. You're effectively paying for two DACs that you don't really need. Just my opinion of course.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Why wouldn't you go for a Powernode 2, with the speakers of your choice? It's got all the functionality the Node 2 has and 2 x 60 Wpc into 8 Ohm (and 2 x 120 into 4 IIRC) of top notch amplification (Hypex UcD). Could drive about every speaker you care to consider. Superb vfm if you ask me! And it looks very sophisticated too...

rainsoothe

Leeps said:
Christopher West said:
I have put a deposit on the amp as its a special order, but wanted it due to the digital inputs, as the 8005 doesnt have any Digi inputs and I ideally wanted to connect the amp and streamer with an optical cable....

Choices choices...

My understanding is that the DAC in the Bluesound is pretty good, so connecting it to your amp with RCA analogue cables would not downgrade the system in anyway. And the Node 2 has an optical input for other stuff anyway should you need it (TV for example), so I would have been inclined to go with the slightly higher grade PM8005. You're effectively paying for two DACs that you don't really need. Just my opinion of course.

Hi. +1 to this, the PM8005 is a much more appropriate amp for the CM9.

rainsoothe said:
Leeps said:
Christopher West said:

Choices choices...

Hi. +1 to this, the PM8005 is a much more appropriate amp for the CM9.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help here, as I live in a 1 bedroom flat (albeit a nice big one) I cancelled the CM9 S1's and went with the CM5 S2's... Really wanted that amp so thought the CM5's would be the way to go and be much better suited to the 60WPC PM7005. Feel a bit more relaxed about it now...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts