Clearaudio Concept vs. Pro-Ject RPM 10.1

Kestelli

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Gents, somehow my original post didn't appear - so it's my second try.

First of all: happy to be here. This is my first post.

I do own a decent system (Mcintosh Power, Naim Pre, Sonus Faber Luito). I also own a Pro-Ject RPM 10.1 turntable. Unfortunately with a basic cartridge: Ortofon 2M Red.

I finf my 10.1 too big for my taste. It has multiple pieces (one ground piece, main piece, and external motor). So I want to switch to a more compact model. The store I frequent in Istanbul suggested a Clearaudio Concept with MC cartridge. In normal terms Concept is exactyl what i need (i.e. decent build, and compact). For this switch they asked for an additional fee. I figured that I might as well give this price to Clearaudio, as I'd be paying a similar amount for a decent cartridge anyways for my 10.1

But when i read Stereophile's recommended products, i got confused. Stereophile lists 10.1 as "Class B", while Clearaudio concept as "Class C". So you can understand my conundrum.

I'd seriously appreciate any thoughts, feedbacks you may have for me.

Cheers

Kestelli said:
Gents, somehow my original post didn't appear - so it's my second try.

First of all: happy to be here. This is my first post.

I do own a decent system (Mcintosh Power, Naim Pre, Sonus Faber Luito). I also own a Pro-Ject RPM 10.1 turntable. Unfortunately with a basic cartridge: Ortofon 2M Red.

I finf my 10.1 too big for my taste. It has multiple pieces (one ground piece, main piece, and external motor). So I want to switch to a more compact model. The store I frequent in Istanbul suggested a Clearaudio Concept with MC cartridge. In normal terms Concept is exactyl what i need (i.e. decent build, and compact). For this switch they asked for an additional fee. I figured that I might as well give this price to Clearaudio, as I'd be paying a similar amount for a decent cartridge anyways for my 10.1

But when i read Stereophile's recommended products, i got confused. Stereophile lists 10.1 as "Class B", while Clearaudio concept as "Class C". So you can understand my conundrum.

I'd seriously appreciate any thoughts, feedbacks you may have for me.

Cheers

I am not too sure why the dealer wants you to pay extra. The RPM 10.1 is £1000 more expensive than the Clearaudio here in trhe UK.

I would not bother too much with Stereophile's rating system it is mearly a guide developed by one man / themselves and many people would disagree with some of their ratings.

Rather than reading guides just go and audition the Clearaudio, if you like it then you should buy it.

Kestelli

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your reply. I decided against making the switch. I've talked to many people, and took your input into consideration. As you have said 10.1 is a more expensive TT and with a decent cartridge it can really hum. So i'm sticking for the time being. :)

TRENDING THREADS