Classic Album Evenings

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Crocodile said:
MrReaper182 said:
In my experience people who want to talk about classic albums only want to talk about the big albums and not the forrgotten gems which is a shame as there is a lot of forgotten gems that never get a look in like Hard times by Peter Skellern. I also get very sick of hearding from that type of crowd how all of todays music sucks and the only good music was was made in the 60's and 70's (there was far to much rubbish music around then).
It will be interesting to hear more from Matthew but I doubt very much if that was the way it went. I would imagine that the idea is to take a "classic album" that the attendees will be very familiar with & then demonstrate what modern technology can make it soung like. Nothing to do with celebrating the good old days. Wouldn't be much point in playing a forgotten classic if the majority of the audience haven't heard it before.

i don't know I would like to hear some new music rather than the same old overplayed stuff like rumours, dire starts, dsotm etc.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
i don't know I would like to hear some new music rather than the same old overplayed stuff like rumours, dire starts, dsotm etc.

But they're not selling music, they're selling replay equipment. How can you judge how good a job that's doing with music you've never heard before?

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Crocodile said:
MrReaper182 said:
In my experience people who want to talk about classic albums only want to talk about the big albums and not the forrgotten gems which is a shame as there is a lot of forgotten gems that never get a look in like Hard times by Peter Skellern. I also get very sick of hearding from that type of crowd how all of todays music sucks and the only good music was was made in the 60's and 70's (there was far to much rubbish music around then).
It will be interesting to hear more from Matthew but I doubt very much if that was the way it went. I would imagine that the idea is to take a "classic album" that the attendees will be very familiar with & then demonstrate what modern technology can make it soung like. Nothing to do with celebrating the good old days. Wouldn't be much point in playing a forgotten classic if the majority of the audience haven't heard it before.

I was tempted by the idea of the Linn evenings they ran a while back but they were always too far away.

To me that's boring. I would much rather go to one of these things to hear an album I've never heard before. Then I can come away with a liitle bit more music knowledge.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Crocodile said:
BigH said:

But they're not selling music, they're selling replay equipment. How can you judge how good a job that's doing with music you've never heard before?

Then why call it a classic album night? So its just a selling gig warped up in sheeps clothing? Great.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Can't quote now. Anyway in response to new albums so hearing hifi you have to only hear familiar music? It's about getting people interested not boring them to death.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
This is more like what I was looking for. Are people attending these evenings because they just like music in general, or going for that specific album? Those that don't attend them, would they if it was an album they liked? And would people like to hear more obscure stuff rather than the 'classic' stuff?

I guess they use classic albums as they have big followings, so they're much more likely to populate a night with an album from Pink Floyd than you are than an album from Isis.

I'd like to do some for albums that I personally like that are a little more obscure, but then you have the problem that people may not attend because they've never heard of the band/album. Then again, I wouldn't care, as I'd be listening to the music :)

matthewpiano

It wasn't a load of middle-aged men in parkers talking with nostalgia about the old days.

The age range was varied and, at 35, I didn't feel I was the youngest at all.

I think part of the reason for choosing Rumours was that the 45rpm studio master pressing is a particularly good one and, as Crocodile suggests, using a familiar album means that it was a good way of showcasing what is possible sound-wise with a large budget and the latest thinking of two great hi-fi companies.

The other thing is, that Rumours was followed up by a small number of tracks selected from other albums. One of these was a song from a recent album by an artist called Malia with one of the guys from Yello. Apparently it is a firm favourite amongst the KEF engineers. I hadn't hear it before but enjoyed it and will be seeking the album out. Given one or two of the comments I heard from others, I don't think I'll be the only one.

It really wasn't a geeky night, just a (very nice) room full of people (about 25/26 of them) relaxing and enjoying some great music on a great hi-fi system.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
This is more like what I was looking for. Are people attending these evenings because they just like music in general, or going for that specific album? Those that don't attend them, would they if it was an album they liked? And would people like to hear more obscure stuff rather than the 'classic' stuff?

I guess they use classic albums as they have big followings, so they're much more likely to populate a night with an album from Pink Floyd than you are than an album from Isis.

I'd like to do some for albums that I personally like that are a little more obscure, but then you have the problem that people may not attend because they've never heard of the band/album. Then again, I wouldn't care, as I'd be listening to the music :)

i would interested in going to hear the music on a top of the range system. As for music I would prefer a variety rather than 1 album plus a few others, so a few classic tracks and some more obscure material. Malia I do know and I can see why they used it. I would also like more styles like jazz and classical

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:

I'll go to obscure listening albums night over a classic album night. Much more my cup of tea. Your not get as many people though the door as you would a classic album night but your probably get a much more interesting bunch of people come. I only own Oceanic and Panopticon by Isis and I only have Oceanic on vinyl. I know I really need to pick up more albums by them.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I was hoping to attend but could not make it on the night. However, the choice of album was an irrelevance to me, I wanted to go along and listen to a system that , short of a lottery win, is far beyond anything I am likely to ever own. I often read about all this fantastic new equipment, and how great it is, but I am never going to own or even hear a £10k pair of speakers etc. so last night would have been a nice experience. Nothing more, nothing less. Just a bit of fun.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
It really wasn't a geeky night, just a (very nice) room full of people (about 25/26 of them) relaxing and enjoying some great music on a great hi-fi system.

Also, it was in a rather nice pub that serves good ale. So a Win-Win situation!

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I also get very sick of hearding from that type of crowd how all of todays music sucks and the only good music was was made in the 60's and 70's (there was far to much rubbish music around then).

not that much as now, believe me. In those era all pretty much was started and people knows how to make a song and record it.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
Crocodile said:
MrReaper182 said:
To me that's boring. I would much rather go to one of these things to hear an album I've never heard before. Then I can come away with a liitle bit more music knowledge.

I think the choice of Rumours is a lot questionable, then what's the point to choose a re ord no one have listen before?

I'm glad to hear they played other stuff on LP and especially one of my favourite guitar players of all time, Bert Jansch. IMHO the real god is not mr. Slowhand, is good old Bert.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I'm with you there MaxD. IMO I don't think there has ever been a better guitarist than Jansch. Brilliant musician.

I was lucky enough to see Pentangle at Symphony Hall on their last tour in 2009(?). Bert was still playing wonderfully well and I think when it comes to acoustic guitar he was probably the best ever. Electric guitar we could talk about!

Chris

PS Jacqui McShee was still in wonderful voice.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Related about Bert jansch: I can say we met many time, he also teached me stuff, he went in Italy very many times for very many shows starting from the '80s if memory serve me well. I think I met him fist time like in 1984 or so; I do have nice pictures with him and he was such a nice guy, he was so talented and in the same time so humble. We talked and discusses about music and musicans very many times and he never been harsh regarding anyone.

Well, he was so happy when he comes to Italy becouse like many other british/american artists he had a treatment he didn't had in any other part of the world <8typically top class italian hospitality for artists),::top characteristics hotels, top food (hehe you can't eat so well like in Italy in other part of the world and this is ALWAYS appreciated by UK and USA artists, becouser they come from countrys were local food is terrible), so with the help of the weather (we have 250 days of sun per year) and the audience (italians got taste in music, many indie artists are always liked and appreciated in Italy more than in USA or UK, not only appreciated, discovered a lot before, an example was Dire Straits, I don'r regret to be one of the first in the world to write a review for them 1st record if memory serve me well in april 1978; I don't regret it, even if I hate everything they did after the first two records) he was always ready to come in every little town in Italy and often I've been joining him.

Gid bless Bert, R.I.P.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
i would interested in going to hear the music on a top of the range system. As for music I would prefer a variety rather than 1 album plus a few others, so a few classic tracks and some more obscure material. Malia I do know and I can see why they used it. I would also like more styles like jazz and classical

So a few choice tracks off a number of classic albums you'd feel would be better? Maybe interspersed with some tracks from more obscure artists?

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
MaxD said:
MrReaper182 said:
I also get very sick of hearding from that type of crowd how all of todays music sucks and the only good music was was made in the 60's and 70's (there was far to much rubbish music around then).

not that much as now, believe me. In those era all pretty much was started and people knows how to make a song and record it.

That's bull. There was way more rubbish in those days then there was good stuff, just like today. People like you look at those decades though rose tinted glasses which is another way of saying you only see the pleasant parts of it.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I'll go to obscure listening albums night over a classic album night. Much more my cup of tea. Your not get as many people though the door as you would a classic album night but your probably get a much more interesting bunch of people come. I only own Oceanic and Panopticon by Isis and I only have Oceanic on vinyl. I know I really need to pick up more albums by them.
You have a head start on me there - Isis is something I've discovered in the last few years, and as yet I have none of them on vinyl. Another one I'd like to collect is Porcupine Tree. So far, I only have Fear Of A Blank Planet on vinyl.

I'd love to do a listening session for Boards Of Canada. Not only because I'm a huge fan, but because their music is so complex (despite sounding quite simple on first listening), especially with dialogue being manipulated to sound different or say something different. There's so much for the casual listener to learn, particularly for the Geogaddi and Tomorrow's Harvest albums.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
BigH said:

So a few choice tracks off a number of classic albums you'd feel would be better? Maybe interspersed with some tracks from more obscure artists?

Yes thats correct, so say 1 off Rumours, 1 from Aja, 1 from Wish You Were Here, maybe also Doors, Stones and Beatles. I would also like to hear Aerial Boundaries by Michael Hedges thats supposed to be a great vinyl album, then also more obsure music and more modern music as well, also some female vocals maybe Melody Gardot. The problem with just one album is if you don't like it would you want to sit through 40 minutes?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I'll go to obscure listening albums night over a classic album night. Much more my cup of tea. Your not get as many people though the door as you would a classic album night but your probably get a much more interesting bunch of people come.

Maybe being a little less judgemental on how 'interesting' a person is, based on the type of music they enjoy, would set you in good stead, oh great experienced one who is only 30. Perhaps it's just that your expections of what a musical evening should deliver are different to those of the people currently attending. I'd love to go to a musical evening such as this one if there was one locally, but I'm not hugely interested in listening a load of tracks from fringe / obscure artists I don't know; I can do that any time via Spotify. The whole Idea for me would be to experience music I know well, replayed better than I have ever heard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts