Classic Album Evenings

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Covenanter said:
I'm a bit fed up with someone who sells stuff getting free advertising space on this forum!

Chris

Are you referring to this thread, or my general presence? Do you feel the same way about Nick, Rohit, Paul, and others?

Sorry, but WHF don't allow two log ins for one person, so I couldn't ask this under a pseudonym. So am I not allowed to ask the good members of this forum anything at all? Having not attended one of these evenings, I'm genuinely interested in what people think of them, whether they're well attended, useful etc etc.

Other retailers have started threads in the past - did you have a go at them too, or is this a personal thing?

I don't think vendors should post here. As it happens I think many of your views are simply silly and would criticise them even if you were just a punter like the rest of us.

Chris

I totally disagree.

Dealers have a valuable contribution to make re product info / experience etc, and personally I find most of David's posts to be fair - being based on his personal opinion.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I never read David's hi-fi / AV contributions as anything other than promoting his employers's business and selling the stock they carry.

To be fair the same goes for Rick @ Musicraft and any other sales person.

However, it's Haymarket policy to allow industry representatives to post openly as such and - at least in the case of manufacturers and distributors - it can be helpful sometimes when sorting out product problems. (Henley, Rega, AEJim etc.)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
I never read David's hi-fi / AV contributions as anything other than promoting his employers's business and selling the stock they carry.

However, it's Haymarket policy to allow industry representatives to post openly as such and - at least in the case of manufacturers and distributors - it can be helpful sometimes when sorting out product problems. (Henley, Rega, AEJim etc.)

I suppose it depends on how you define promotion and what counts as stepping over the line.

I have heard enough of what David sells, to I believe I am in a reasonable position to assess whether a product is discussed fairly / accurately or being blatantly promoted.

Of course, just mentioning a product you sell is a type of promotion, but if personal audition is clearly advised, then I don't have a problem......and that is what usually happens when David makes a suggestion.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
chebby said:

I suppose it depends on how you define promotion and what counts as stepping over the line.

I didn't mention a line. There is no line. Just being on a hi-fi / AV forum with your employer's name (@FrankHarvey) as part of your own member name is already a statement that you are here to represent them. If there was a line, it was crossed even before registration was completed.

If a member joined calling himself Bill@Audio-T it wouldn't be any different. I'd treat everything he said about any product sold by Audio-T as marketing.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
I didn't mention a line. There is no line. Just being on a hi-fi / AV forum with your employer's name (@FrankHarvey) as part of your own member name is already a statement that you are here to represent them. If there was a line, it was crossed even before registration was completed.

I mentioned the line, because there certainly is one. The fact that dealers are allowed, provided they comply with certain rules, means a line can be crossed.

BTW. I know you are coming from your own personal standpoint, where there are no lines.

matthewpiano

chebby said:
CnoEvil said:
chebby said:

If a member joined calling himself Bill@Audio-T it wouldn't be any different. I'd treat everything he said about any product sold by Audio-T as marketing.

If David took part in the forums without clearly stating his professional position in the industry he would be flouting house rules. Are you suggesting that people who work in the industry and who have valuable experience and knowledge to share shouldn't be allowed to take part, or that they should break the rules, or that the rules should be changed?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
chebby said:
CnoEvil said:
chebby said:

If David took part in the forums without clearly stating his professional position in the industry he would be flouting house rules. Are you suggesting that people who work in the industry and who have valuable experience and knowledge to share shouldn't be allowed to take part, or that they should break the rules, or that the rules should be changed?

Not at all. None of that. I'm just saying I will treat everything that he says on the subject of any equipment sold by Frank Harvey as promotional. It's legitimate and Haymarket allow it under the rules. It's also fine for me to choose how to read his posts.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
matthewpiano said:
chebby said:
CnoEvil said:
chebby said:

Not at all. None of that. I'm just saying I will treat everything that he says on the subject of any equipment sold by Frank Harvey as promotional. It's legitimate and Haymarket allow it under the rules. It's also fine for me to choose how to read his posts.

+1

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Just being on a hi-fi / AV forum with your employer's name (@FrankHarvey) as part of your own member name is already a statement that you are here to represent them. If there was a line, it was crossed even before registration was completed.

Originally, I was on here as 'FrankHarveyHiFi'. I had that changed to david@frankharvey because everyone kept calling me Frank, despite my name being in the signature. If WHF want the dealers present to have more nondescript log ins and the company mentioned in the signature, that's fine with me - I'll take DavidF, which is ME. As it stands though, I've broken no rules, and will continue to post as I have always done. I'd like to think that people think I'm pretty fair, without constantly forcing any particular brand on forum members. I get enough emails from people reading this forum asking for my advice, so I'm not too worried if a few individuals dislike my presence here. I fully understand there will be individuals who won't like me posting, but then most forum members have a little list of individuals they don't like, for whatever reason. If WHF's rules stated that retailers weren't allowed on the forum, I'd still be on here as myself, and making the same recommendations to people who are genuinely looking for advice.

Anyway, this is now way off topic - can we please get back to what people think of these classic album evenings? I am genuinely interested on a personal level, and nothing to do with the company I work for.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
As it happens I think many of your views are simply silly and would criticise them even if you were just a punter like the rest of us.

Chris
So it is personal then? Glad we cleared that up. You don't like a poster? - don't read their threads. Problem solved. As someone rather hypercritically once said:

Covenanter said:
Given the inane and often offensive pointless posts to this forum recently is there any point in reading this forum anymore?

Chris

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Covenanter said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Covenanter said:
I'm a bit fed up with someone who sells stuff getting free advertising space on this forum!

Chris

Are you referring to this thread, or my general presence? Do you feel the same way about Nick, Rohit, Paul, and others?

Sorry, but WHF don't allow two log ins for one person, so I couldn't ask this under a pseudonym. So am I not allowed to ask the good members of this forum anything at all? Having not attended one of these evenings, I'm genuinely interested in what people think of them, whether they're well attended, useful etc etc.

Other retailers have started threads in the past - did you have a go at them too, or is this a personal thing?

I don't think vendors should post here. As it happens I think many of your views are simply silly and would criticise them even if you were just a punter like the rest of us.

Chris

Chris. Can I ask a question please. Spose I'm guilty of this too in a way.

When I've been trying to design a loudspeaker I have come on this forum and asked members what their preference would be. Chebby has definitely contributed and, if I'm not mistaken, you've put your very constructive 'two bobs worth' in as well. Are you saying that I shouldn't ask the members what they would like to see?. This isn't a dig. I am genuinely interested in your point of view on this as I 'seem' to fall into the same category as David. Thanks.

Richard Allen

Arcaydis.

matthewpiano

To go back to David's original question...

I attended the Audio T evening tonight and it was extremely enjoyable. Of course, the system used was way beyond me financially, but the chance to hear a system of such high quality was very valuable and if I was looking to make a purchase right now it would certainly encourage and inspire me to consider products from lower down the KEF and Rega ranges (and may well have encouraged me to aim towards getting a TT PSU for my RP3 later in the year).

The sound was superb. Took some getting used to the exceptional detail levels for the first couple of tracks but once that was achieved, it was actually a very easy system to enjoy and I could have happily sat there listening for several hours. Those new KEF Reference 5 floorstanders are wonderful speakers with huge amounts of insight and the Rega electronics did a fantastic job of gripping them.

Will definitely be going to future evenings.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

I attended the Audio T evening tonight and it was extremely enjoyable. Of course, the system used was way beyond me financially, but the chance to hear a system of such high quality was very valuable and if I was looking to make a purchase right now it would certainly encourage and inspire me to consider products from lower down the KEF and Rega ranges (and may well have encouraged me to aim towards getting a TT PSU for my RP3 later in the year).

The sound was superb. Took some getting used to the exceptional detail levels for the first couple of tracks but once that was achieved, it was actually a very easy system to enjoy and I could have happily sat there listening for several hours. Those new KEF Reference 5 floorstanders are wonderful speakers with huge amounts of insight and the Rega electronics did a fantastic job of gripping them.

I was down on the list to attend but the 6.00pm/6.30pm start in the city centre was always going to be problematic for me and so it proved. I had to call in on the eleventh hour and cancel.

Like yourself Matthew the system being used was way, way out of my league but I really wanted to go and have a listen to a truly high end vinyl based system.

Sounds like you had a good time. Was it just the Audio T lads running the show, or were there also Rega/KEF reps there giving it the hard sell?

I hope they do another one.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Have I attended one? Nope. Would I attended one in my local city? Nope. I don't want to spend my evenings listening to a group of 40 plus somethings talk about how much better music was in the 60's and 70's than it is in this day and age (wile forgetting that most of the music of the 60's and 70's like it is in this day and age was rubbish. Cilla Black, Des O'Conner and Donny Osmoned are a few in a long list of rubbish singers those decades throw up). Plus how many more times can I listen to people tell me how great Dark side of the moon is? Or how great Led Zeppelin II is? I know they are great albums as I own them. Maybe if they talked about ablums that were great but have now become forgotten gems then I might go but I'll bet the people who go just talk about the big albums everyone's heard a million times before. Not my cup of tea.

matthewpiano

DIB said:
matthewpiano said:

I was down on the list to attend but the 6.00pm/6.30pm start in the city centre was always going to be problematic for me and so it proved. I had to call in on the eleventh hour and cancel.

Like yourself Matthew the system being used was way, way out of my league but I really wanted to go and have a listen to a truly high end vinyl based system.

Sounds like you had a good time. Was it just the Audio T lads running the show, or were there also Rega/KEF reps there giving it the hard sell?

I hope they do another one.

Paul Darwin from Rega was there and also a guy from KEF (whose name I have forgotten sadly). Neither was remotely giving hard sell, and both were very friendly, emphasising that the evening was about the music. The full team from Audio T Manchester was there and as warm and welcoming as they always are. The event reflected extremely well on all three companies IMO and the equipment spoke very favourably for Rega, KEF and Chord Company.

Those Reference 5s really are quite something. They definitely need a good sized room (which they got last night) and most people would, I think, need to look at the smaller floorstanders or the standmounts in the range, but as a statement of what KEF can do for half the price of the Blades they are really eye-opening.

There are plans to do more apparently, with Nick Drake's Bryter Later being mentioned as one of the future albums. I'll be going to as many as I can.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
MrReaper182 said:
I don't want to spend my evenings listening to a group of 40 plus somethings talk about how much better music was in the 60's and 70's than it is in this day and age.

Understandable that a teenager such as yourself would be seeking a younger crowd to spend your evenings with.

Not so understandable is why such a young sprig would want to come to a hif-fi forum - mostly full of those '40 plus somethings' - to say so.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Paul Darwin from Rega was there and also a guy from KEF (whose name I have forgotten sadly). Neither was remotely giving hard sell, and both were very friendly, emphasising that the evening was about the music. The full team from Audio T Manchester was there and as warm and welcoming as they always are. The event reflected extremely well on all three companies IMO and the equipment spoke very favourably for Rega, KEF and Chord Company.

Those Reference 5s really are quite something. They definitely need a good sized room (which they got last night) and most people would, I think, need to look at the smaller floorstanders or the standmounts in the range, but as a statement of what KEF can do for half the price of the Blades they are really eye-opening.

There are plans to do more apparently, with Nick Drake's Bryter Later being mentioned as one of the future albums. I'll be going to as many as I can.

Good stuff Matthew. I love that Bryter Later album. If they do another one then I'll definitely be better prepared next time!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
Have I attended one? Nope. Would I attended one in my local city? Nope. I don't want to spend my evenings listening to a group of 40 plus somethings talk about how much better music was in the 60's and 70's than it is in this day and age (wile forgetting that most of the music of the 60's and 70's like it is in this day and age was rubbish. Cilla Black, Des O'Conner and Donny Osmoned are a few in a long list of rubbish singers those decades throw up). Plus how many more times can I listen to people tell me how great Dark side of the moon is? Or how great Led Zeppelin II is? I know they are great albums as I own them. Maybe if they talked about ablums that were great but have now become forgotten gems then I might go but I'll bet the people who go just talk about the big albums everyone's heard a million times before. Not my cup of tea.

You sound like really good company.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
MrReaper182 said:
I don't want to spend my evenings listening to a group of 40 plus somethings talk about how much better music was in the 60's and 70's than it is in this day and age.

Understandable that a teenager such as youself would be seeking a younger crowd to spend your evenings with.

Not so understandable is why such a young sprig as yourself would want to come to a hif-fi forum - mostly full of those '40 plus somethings' - to say so.

I'm 30 years old so I'm hardly a teenager (even if I do Skateboard still). I would spend my time with anyone who loves hi-fi and music regardless of age or what your taste in music may be. In my experience people who want to talk about classic albums only want to talk about the big albums and not the forrgotten gems which is a shame as there is a lot of forgotten gems that never get a look in like Hard times by Peter Skellern. I also get very sick of hearding from that type of crowd how all of todays music sucks and the only good music was was made in the 60's and 70's (there was far to much rubbish music around then).

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
DIB said:
MrReaper182 said:

You sound like really good company.

You know I am. I love talking about any style music (I never shut up once started) but all people want to talk about is same bands all the time. Bands like The Beatles, The Who, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Bruce springsteen, Pink Floyd etc are great but thats all people talk about when they talk about Classic albums. No one ever talks about forgotton greats like Tony Joe White ( I had never heard of him until I'd picked up his best of album which was a blind buy. How come no one is talking about this great legend?) Kris Kristofferson, Peter Skellern, Saxon, Mississippi John Hurt, The Dubliners etc. I'm sick of hearing about the same bands and albums all the time.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
In my experience people who want to talk about classic albums only want to talk about the big albums and not the forrgotten gems which is a shame as there is a lot of forgotten gems that never get a look in like Hard times by Peter Skellern. I also get very sick of hearding from that type of crowd how all of todays music sucks and the only good music was was made in the 60's and 70's (there was far to much rubbish music around then).
It will be interesting to hear more from Matthew but I doubt very much if that was the way it went. I would imagine that the idea is to take a "classic album" that the attendees will be very familiar with & then demonstrate what modern technology can make it soung like. Nothing to do with celebrating the good old days. Wouldn't be much point in playing a forgotten classic if the majority of the audience haven't heard it before.

I was tempted by the idea of the Linn evenings they ran a while back but they were always too far away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts