Classic Album Evenings

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone attended any of these classic album evenings? What have been your thoughts? Negative points? Positive points? Material to your taste?

If you haven't attended one, would you? If so, what sort of albums would you like to see on the list?

Just curious...

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Funnily enough I am considering going to a Vinyl evening run by Audio-T in Manchester, their first next week. It's being held in the pub across the road, upstairs, and will be showcasing the 45rpm version of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours LP.

The equipment being used is: RP10 turntable, Apheta cartridge, Rega IOS phonostage, and Rega Osiris amplifier.

Speakers are a surprise apparently!

Might be a bit of fun.

matthewpiano

DIB - I'm definitely going to that. The speakers are going to be from the new KEF Reference range I believe. I'll be in a suit (will be coming round the corner straight from work) so do say hello if you come.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what there are. But if in my area I would probably attend. As for albums I would like to hear some of the jazz classics like some thin' else a by Cannonball Adderley if possible on 45 rpm and maybe Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
It gets it over and done with quicker?

Well,there is that ...
teeth_smile.gif

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
basshound said:
DIB said:
and will be showcasing the 45rpm version of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours LP.

As a vinyl virgin (at least for the last 30 years) what is the advantage of 45rpm ?

Actually it takes longer as you have 4 sides so you have to turn the album over twice and also change the album.

The quality is supposed to be better on 45RPM. The Rumours album sounds superb on 45rpm. Better than this new site.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Maybe you meant to write it like this (quotes corrected) ...

Lost Angeles said:
chebby said:
basshound said:
DIB said:

As a vinyl virgin (at least for the last 30 years) what is the advantage of 45rpm ?

Actually it takes longer as you have 4 sides so you have to turn the album over twice and also change the album.

The quality is supposed to be better on 45RPM. The Rumours album sounds superb on 45rpm. Better than this new site.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
basshound said:
DIB said:

No idea really, but presumably offers higher quality playback. We shall see.

On a 45rpm record, the linear velocity (the amount of plastic that passes under the stylus in any given time) is greater at 45rpm, which offers a potential increase in SQ. Many (most) 33rpm records unavoidably suffer a SQ drop towards the centre of the record, because the linear velocity has decreased so dramatically by then. At the outer edge of 12" LP, the record will pass under the stylus at about 20" per second, but near the centre this can reduce to as little as 8" per second.

EDIT: any mathematicians out there, feel free to correct my probably slightly dodgy maths, but the principle's right all the same.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Presume as needle has to travel further between each note then the vinyl cutting engineer can put more dynamic range and more bass on the lp?

can't use quotes on this forum or type more than 1 sentence. Had to add this by editing my first post.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Presume as needle has to travel further between each note then the vinyl cutting engineer can put more dynamic range and more bass on the lp?

can't use quotes on this forum or type more than 1 sentence. Had to add this by editing my first post.

there's never a time when putting bass-heavy audio onto vinyl is easy to be honest, but yes, there's more scope at 45rpm. Also more scope if the running-time is short-ish, allowing the grooves to be spaced-out further. The fact that we can actually get high quality audio from records at all is almost a triumph of engineering over physics.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
BigH said:

there's never a time when putting bass-heavy audio onto vinyl is easy to be honest, but yes, there's more scope at 45rpm. Also more scope if the running-time is short-ish, allowing the grooves to be spaced-out further. The fact that we can actually get high quality audio from records at all is almost a triumph of engineering over physics.

I did not mean bass heavy music, I just meant that on normal length 33rpm lips it is bass that is usually cut to fit it all on as that takes up more space.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
Covenanter said:
I'm a bit fed up with someone who sells stuff getting free advertising space on this forum!

Chris

In this instance it only served to promote Audio-T's Classic Album Evening in Manchester :)

The point is: why that record? Well yes it was one of the best seller record of anytime recorded it 1976 it.was after a bankurapt and the only way to pay the bills.

So that record not only - with this preamble - got surely little of pure art, it is adult oriented rock from a very bad period for arty music but punk.

i think many people will think about me and IMHO it is a really lost occasion to show to people about the delight of vinyl dynamic and the accuracy of vinyl playback.

BTW that recordwas also one of the first records to be radio friendly compressed from the factory of those records,cterribleCriteria Studios in Miami, the home of 70s radio friendly albums.

Now why the didn't search for example a copy of Rollingg Stones 1972. that is art aand english sounding mastering records often. Sound really good.

I will not advise anyone to go listen crappy late era Fletwood Mac. I so have too much respect for Peter Green memory to do sounding like that.

matthewpiano

I believe there are plans to be more adventurous with the selection of records at future events but I think the first step with anything like this is attracting people. Once you have them interested, you can then start to be more adventurous with the choice of music played.

FWIW I have great affection for Rumours and I've seen Fleetwood Mac live on two occasions, both of which were superb gigs full of great playing and singing. Middle of the road it may be, but when it is done so well I can handle that.

Anyway art is, to some extent, in the eye of the beholder (or ear of the listener) unless we really want to start discussing Dahlhaus and musical aesthetics.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MaxD said:
chebby said:
Covenanter said:
I'm a bit fed up with someone who sells stuff getting free advertising space on this forum!

Chris

In this instance it only served to promote Audio-T's Classic Album Evening in Manchester :)

The point is: why that record?

Because it fits the profile of middle-aged men who are more likely to be able to afford the expensive vinyl based demo system.

(Although this particular choice probably appeals more to a sector of middle aged men who were still 'middle aged' even as kids in the 1970s!)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Has anyone attneded any of these classic album evenings? What have been your thoughts? Negative points? Positive points? Material to your taste?

If you haven't attended one, would you? If so, what sort of albums would you like to see on the list?

Just curious...

what albums are on the list? How about Michael Hedges - Ariel Boundaries?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:

Chris

Are you referring to this thread, or my general presence? Do you feel the same way about Nick, Rohit, Paul, and others?

Sorry, but WHF don't allow two log ins for one person, so I couldn't ask this under a pseudonym. So am I not allowed to ask the good members of this forum anything at all? Having not attended one of these evenings, I'm genuinely interested in what people think of them, whether they're well attended, useful etc etc.

Other retailers have started threads in the past - did you have a go at them too, or is this a personal thing?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
On a 45rpm record, the linear velocity (the amount of plastic that passes under the stylus in any given time) is greater at 45rpm, which offers a potential increase in SQ. Many (most) 33rpm records unavoidably suffer a SQ drop towards the centre of the record, because the linear velocity has decreased so dramatically by then. At the outer edge of 12" LP, the record will pass under the stylus at about 20" per second, but near the centre this can reduce to as little as 8" per second.

Oooh, the need for speed.....must break out the Shellac.*dirol*

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Are you referring to this thread, or my general presence? Do you feel the same way about Nick, Rohit, Paul, and others?

Sorry, but WHF don't allow two log ins for one person, so I couldn't ask this under a pseudonym. So am I not allowed to ask the good members of this forum anything at all? Having not attended one of these evenings, I'm genuinely interested in what people think of them, whether they're well attended, useful etc etc.

Other retailers have started threads in the past - did you have a go at them too, or is this a personal thing?

I don't think vendors should post here. As it happens I think many of your views are simply silly and would criticise them even if you were just a punter like the rest of us.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts