Cinema sound with Onkyo AV and integrated Cyrus amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Greetings,

I am disappointed after richer Sounds selling me and entry level ONKYO (TX-SR506 I think) amp telling me I could use the zone 2 function as a pre-out to my Cyrus 8vs2 integrated stereo amplifier and have the Onkyo run the rears and the centre. Theoretically it could work assuming I set the Cyrus volume and then use Onkyos microphone to adjust the other speakers accordingly.

The problem is that the Onkyo wont output digital signals (optical, hdmi) to the analogue zone 2, which basically makes the amp useless unless I run a second set of cables from the onkyo to the front and keep switching cables - but this would be a big step back from my lovely Cyrus and Proac combo at the front.

I love my stereo setup at the moment but I need an AV amp for source selection and hopefully surround sound but I am slightly confused about how pre-outs work, surely its just an analogue sound wave output that can be used as an input to any amp, if this is the case, how can it tell a power amp what volume to play the signal so that all the speakers are in synch - and will it work with my integrated.

I am interested to hear what other people would do on a low budget. I guess the options are:

Sell/return the Onkyo and get a better (still entry level) AV amp with pre-outs and fix the volume on the Cyrus. Can anyone recommended any good cheap models? I think maybe Denon AVR2310, Yamaha RX V667, Marantz SR5003 or a higher level Onkyo.

Or, sell both amps, buy a decent AV amp with pre-outs so in the future I could add on a Cyrus power and then even further in the future get a separate Cyrus pre-amp to retain my favorite sound?

Or dont worry about digital 5.1 and just use analogue inputs and the onkyo to power centre and rears and keep the zone 2 for the fronts

Or keep it as it is, a lovely 2 channel stereo sound and quit wining about not having surround sound.

Sorry for going on, you can see how my brain is bouncing all over the place with this issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated, just curious as to others thoughts on the issue as my girlfriend doesn't seem to understand the anguish it's causing me HAHA. Peace.

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I was most concerned to read that you are disappointed with your recent purchase.

Our sales assistants primary focus should always be on the individual needs and requirements of each customer, and I am at a loss as to why you have been given an amp that appears to be unsuitable for your requirements.

Obviously the last thing we would want is an unhappy customer, and I would be most interested to hear from you which of our branches you visited. I will also be able to ensure that this situation is resolved to your satisfaction. My e-mail address is john.p.clayton@richersounds.com.

Meanwhile, sincere apologies for the obvious inconvenience you've been put to and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks,

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

Messiah

mobins:
Greetings,

I am disappointed after richer Sounds selling me and entry level ONKYO (TX-SR506 I think) amp telling me I could use the zone 2 function as a pre-out to my Cyrus 8vs2 integrated stereo amplifier and have the Onkyo run the rears and the centre. Theoretically it could work assuming I set the Cyrus volume and then use Onkyos microphone to adjust the other speakers accordingly.

Perhaps the sales assistant did not realise it does not pass a signal out if the input source is digital (which does surprise me - the amp not passing the signal through that is and not that the assistant did not realise this). Otherwise this would have worked.
The standard integration of an AV amp and stereo amp is to use an AV amp that has 5/7.1 pre-outs. Like so:

1. Connect the front pre-outs on the AV Amp to a spare input (excluding phono) on the stereo amp. (On the Cyrus there is an AV input)
2. Ensure the left and right front speakers are connected to the stereo amp. (May seem obvious I know!) and leave all other speakers connected to the receiver.
3. Select the input on the Stereo Amp that the AV Amp is connected to.
4. Set the volume on the Stereo Amp to a memorable position. A lot of people recommend the 12 o'clock position although the Cyrus can be set to AV bypass (if I remember correctly) which disables the volume control.
5. Run the speaker calibration set up.

Now that this is set up you can enjoy the best of both worlds!

When you want to watch a movie you need to ensure both amps are on and the input the receiver is connected to is selected.
Then set the volume back to the 12 o'clock position and enjoy! (If required that is and remember to return the volume on the Stereo Amp back to it's normal position before you switch inputs if so)

To listen in stereo you just need to use the Stereo Amp. (Ensure your stereo components such as a CD player are connected to the Stereo Amp and not the AV Amp). The AV amp is left off.

mobins:

The problem is that the Onkyo wont output digital signals (optical, hdmi) to the analogue zone 2, which basically makes the amp useless unless I run a second set of cables from the onkyo to the front and keep switching cables - but this would be a big step back from my lovely Cyrus and Proac combo at the front.

If it wont output the digital inputs through Zone 2 then you will need a different AV amp.

mobins:

I love my stereo setup at the moment but I need an AV amp for source selection and hopefully surround sound but I am slightly confused about how pre-outs work, surely its just an analogue sound wave output that can be used as an input to any amp, if this is the case, how can it tell a power amp what volume to play the signal so that all the speakers are in synch - and will it work with my integrated.

The pre-outs volume output is variable unlike say a CD analogue out that is fixed. So when the volume is increased on the AV amp it increases the volume that is output accordingly. The set up I have listed above should hopefully explain the volume control.

mobins:

I am interested to hear what other people would do on a low budget. I guess the options are:

Sell/return the Onkyo and get a better (still entry level) AV amp with pre-outs and fix the volume on the Cyrus. Can anyone recommended any good cheap models? I think maybe Denon AVR2310, Yamaha RX V667, Marantz SR5003 or a higher level Onkyo.

I would go with this option. Personally I would go with the Yamaha but that is based purely on prior experience of Yamaha AV amps.

mobins:

Or, sell both amps, buy a decent AV amp with pre-outs so in the future I could add on a Cyrus power and then even further in the future get a separate Cyrus pre-amp to retain my favorite sound?

Or dont worry about digital 5.1 and just use analogue inputs and the onkyo to power centre and rears and keep the zone 2 for the fronts

Or keep it as it is, a lovely 2 channel stereo sound and quit wining about not having surround sound.

I would not choose any of these options. Stick with your original idea.

Hope this helps!!
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts