Cinema Loft Conversion

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Yes

when I say en suite, the WR will be a completely separate room and it's doorway will not open into the HC room. Will be taking care with sound proofing the architect / designer has done similar. So should be ok.

I had an extension built 4 years ago. The main HC/music room is mainly separated from the house by a cavity wall (the old outside wall) which is very good sound insulation, but beware sound can leak massivley through the doorway, and in my case through a single block wall (those light-weight insulation blocks) into my kitchen/office/bathroom area. It's fine when we are both watching a film together, and the room is away from any neighbours, but if I am listening to music on my own - the sound does travel into other rooms in the house. In hindsight I wish I had done more with the block wall to increase the sound insulation, although I'm still not sure how to (easily and practically) reduce leakage through the door.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The best way would be to build a room within a room. So it's a stud wall going around, roughly 100mm deep and then you have another door. So double door, one on cavity wall and one behind on main wall. Between you fill with rock wool etc as you said.

Now as for doors, make sure they are fire doors and you seal the gaps, light must not pass through its gaps.

i have a document on this, but not sure how to safely email you guys or share it?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
duaplex said:
The best way would be to build a room within a room. So it's a stud wall going around, roughly 100mm deep and then you have another door. So double door, one on cavity wall and one behind on main wall. Between you fill with rock wool etc as you said.

Now as for doors, make sure they are fire doors and you seal the gaps, light must not pass through its gaps.

i have a document on this, but not sure how to safely email you guys or share it?

My cavity wall has insulation in the cavity as well - hense why it works very well. The block wall has the tv mounted on it, so adding a stud wall is not practical at this moment, and in any case, when I am listening to music at night, it's the sound leaking through the door that is the main problem.

If the main advice is use a fire door, and seal the gaps around the frame - that seems pretty straight-forward to me. My builder was a carpenter by trade - although you wouldn't have guessed this looking at the gaps under the door.

Where did you get the document from or who publishes it?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I got if from custom audio design. If you give them a call or email they will send a PDF file which is detailed and explains how to sound proof a room, including doors etc. Give that to your builder :)

Indeed the firedoor with seals is straight forward, in fact I picked one up for £50.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Cheers. I've bookmarked their website.

Instead of dry lining I was thinking batons and plasterboard with lots if insulatin.

Re my extension.

It will go on the back of the house. Currently you walk out the kitchen door into a largeish conservatory that has doors to the garden. At the other end is another door which leads into a very small utility the has an external access. This suits as I have dogs so can bring them in this way if they are muddy.

The existing is coming down. The utility is being replaced replaced larger but still with side access, there will be quite a large lobby area from this which will have access to the garden and kitchen. The WR and HC room will be off this. So there will be at least a couple of doors between the noise and kitchen.

Although I'm detached I'm a little worried about leakage to the outside as I will have a large set of French doors in the main room.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Completely understand about leakage. My main goal is too prevent sound leakage and not disturb my immediate neighbours..... If only I had a basement :)

Batons and rockwool is the exact way to go. Stick double plasterboard on that too. This method is outlined on that document, so you are on the right path there :grin:

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
14097972645_373a158774.jpg

14094873492_fe29ec2967.jpg

So the batons are done and the flooring is going down. I have take two pictures here showing the rock wool going in. The second picture shows the depth of the sound proofing layer. On each of the joists you an see acoustic strips to stop vibrations passing through the floating floor.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll have a screed floor, and although I have wooden floors (dogs). Keeping a carpet in good nick shouldn't be too hard in there.

Im going to look for triple glazed French doors.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I'll have a screed floor, and although I have wooden floors (dogs). Keeping a carpet in good nick shouldn't be too hard in there.

Im going to look for triple glazed French doors.

With the french doors, have you thought about how you will shut out the light during the daytime if you want to watch a film - will that be an issue to you?

My tv screen faces the large window directly behind the seating position, so we have vertical blinds, then a black-out roller blind, which gnerally works quite well.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes.

Ill have everyday blinds (probably vertical), and some black out curtains when watching.

The doors are the only external source of light, with extra panes they're 2.4 metre

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi duaplex

have you decided where you are locating all the AV equipment. I've just assumed I'll put it all behind me, somewhere handy to the PJ, but that might create issues re remote control ?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Hi duaplex

have you decided where you are locating all the AV equipment. I've just assumed I'll put it all behind me, somewhere handy to the PJ, but that might create issues re remote control ?

Yes that would be an issue, the most ideal place would be off to your right or left hand side in a rack (never at the front of the room as that distracts you). I was going to put it behind me in a little alcove and have it built in, but as you said the remote is an issue (you can do it, but you will need something like the Logitec Harmony and IR repeaters). Instead I will use a rack (atacama or something similar) and have it to the right hand side of the sofa.

Pictures will of course follow in about 3 weeks :)

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Cheers.

Once I get the final plans back, I'll get a local AV firm to take a look.

I live near swindon in Wiltshire, any recommendations ?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Not really at the equipment picking stage more for room layout design.

I do fancy AVI DM5 speakers + any AVR with pre outs. (Prob a Yamaha)

However the KEF LS50 will definitely need a listen, but by the time you've put them with a decent amp it'll be quite a bit more expensive.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Pj + screen! I have no experience with. So anything would look good to me.

Id hope to do the equipment side for less that 10k + any install costs.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You can buy an excellent system or that.

Start by visiting some of the retailers on this forum. Check out their screen and what they can have made up for you. You can then check out a range of projectors. For a projector in your budget I would say spend around 1.5k - 2k. If you are looking for brands and recommendations then you wont go wrong with Sony or JVC.

Do visit dedicated retailers in this market and not, without knocking them, Richersounds. The guys with dedicated businesses tend to have a greater understanding of your needs and thier knowledge is exceptionally higher, at least in my experience.

Finally - Be prepared to travel :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
When are you posting more pics? I'm getting excited already! :)

More will come this week :)

Wiring will be done this week, circuit box installed and lighting for the room. It's all coming together :)

Feel free to through suggestions at me!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
richardw42 said:
You'd be the first not to.

Out of interest. What sort of AVR should I look at for the LS50s. Do you think my RXV3067 would do a job ?

Based on the equipment you already have, I think you might find the Yamaha a little laid back. Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic AV receivers, and still produce some of the best and most homogenous soundfields you'll experience from any AV receiver, but I just think that having owned the AVI speakers, you'd prefer an Anthem AV receiver. Having said that, the EQ can be tuned to bring out more detail in the LS50s and make them sound more 'forward' rather than more laid back. As far as matching is concerned, I've not really heard any amplifier that didn't sound good with them, there was only issues of driving them properly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts