Cinavia???

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've read many a what hifi blu ray player review round up, but no mention of the horrible
Cinavia protection technology! :-o I think readers need to be informed of this obscenity
that messes with the analogue audio and prevents back ups of discs playing :-(

I'm certain reading in your news section that it is now legal to have backups of digital
media for own use. Cinavia is now at odds with UK and most likely EU law.

Anything to say What-Hifi?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
New legislation was supposed to come into effect on 1st June, making it OK to make copies of your own discs for private use, but it has been delayed. It remains technicaly illegal to rip your own CDs and DVDs (though you're unlikely to be prosecuted, in reality).

It technically remains an additional offence to attempt to circumvent copyright protection systems, whether that's Cinavia or not.

Cinavia is therefore perfectly legal. And also totally understandable from the perspective of an industry losing many millions in piracy every year....

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
When the law does come in, Clare, sure you can backup but Cinavia enabled hardware will
prevent said backups being played. :-(
That is what I am driving at. The industry doesn't want users to have rights and treats the public
with contempt again and again.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I fundamentally disagree with you. Piracy is endemic: copyright holders have the right to protect their intellectual property; a tough fight in a world where content is copied, shared and illegally profited from every second of every day.

When copying is legal, i'm sure players will be firmware upgradeable to remove the Cinavia detection for copies of Blu-rays (while retaining the Cinavia detection of discs authored from cinema releases). After all, the PS3 had its Cinavia system enabled via firmware; no reason to believe the reverse couldn't happen.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
StanleyAV said:
When the law does come in, Clare, sure you can backup but Cinavia enabled hardware willprevent said backups being played. :-(That is what I am driving at. The industry doesn't want users to have rights and treats the publicwith contempt again and again.

So just play the original disk. You've still got the original disk, right..?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts