chosing a cartridge for Rega RP3

it's looking highly likely that i'm going to buy an RP3 very soon, i have seen it for sale with the Elys2 cartridge, but i'm wondering if there are any better cartridges around the same price of the Elys2 that would be a better prospect?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I expect quite a few people will say the Nagaoka mp-110, I don't know the cartridge personally, but it is rated as hard to beat at that price, and certainly better than the Elys2.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:
Why don't you try it with the Elys2 first, you never know you might like it.

possibly yes, but the MP110 wipes the floor with the Elys2 - and yes I have owned one!

Its a no brainer really £90! £50ish for a new stylus. You cant replace the stylus on the Elys2

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi, had the elys 2 it's ok, the 2m red is better but a shure m97ex is in another league, i had a goldring 1042 many years ago but they are expensive now, haven't heard the 2000 series but they are well thought of, as for nagaoka i prefered the mp 11 with boron cantilever, the newer ones iv'e heard are much like the rega, maybe a tad warmer but i prefer a bit more sparkle but i have not heard one on a rega.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Like i said, didn't hear it through a rega, heard it with a thorens 160, croft micro and leak stereo 20 and some kef conceto's, mp110 i believe, sounded nice but very warm, could have been the valve amps, i was not knocking nagaoka's i just found it very warm sounding, not a bad thing for some if coming from a bright system but i like a bit more sparkle.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm very pleased with the sound I get from my Rega P3 (older version of the RP3 you're looking at) and an Elys2 cartridge. They are designed to complement each other. Give it a good listen in store, you may well find you like it.

I have to be honest, I'm not a sufferer of the need to constantly upgrade equipment (I'd rather spend my money on new music to listen to), so there may well be better combinations of deck & cartridge, but I'm happy with the sound I have and, as they say, ignorance is bliss!

Thanks for the replys so far people. because i am going to buy the "b stock" turntable, the Elys II cartridge will not come supplied, so i thought it made good sense to see if there were any cartridges which would be a better option.

the Nagaoka and 2m red seem to be good options.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

bigfish786 said:
i am going to buy the "b stock" turntable

I'm not trying to put you off, as others have had almost perfect "b" grade Rega turntables, but when I bought one, it had more than superficial marks, with cracks near to where the arm was mounted, and a part actually missing.

So do check it properly on receipt for any damage that you would regard as more than superficial.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
bigfish786 said:
i am going to buy the "b stock" turntable

I'm not trying to put you off, as others have had almost perfect "b" grade Rega turntables, but when I bought one, it had more than superficial marks, with cracks near to where the arm was mounted, and a part actually missing.

So do check it properly on receipt for any damage that you would regard as more than superficial.

thanks for the advice, i will inspect it at the store before i leave. this is the first i've heard of anything other than small marks under the platter.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
You're going the same route as me, I bought a graded RP3 but had choice from 3 the one I went with just had the RP3 logo not printed well, removed logo totally and deck is now mint.

Anyway i I bought a at95e cartridge first then a elys 2 later, think the at95e sounded better but can't be bothered putting it back.

So my limited advice would be stick a at95e on it for now £30 or try the naga (whatever they're called again! ) as the more experienced guys are recommending.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

bigfish786 said:
cheers for that. think i can get a Nagaoka 110 for around 80 quid from amazon, so that could be a done deal.

That's a good price, definitely worth going for.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm dipping my toe into the world of Nagaoka by buying a new MP-110 for £60 "off" Ebay. Pick it up this weekend, so will be interesting to compare to the 2M Blue. At the end of the day I get an idea about the Nagaoka sound, have a spare if need be, and its not costing me an arm and a leg.

DIB said:
I'm dipping my toe into the world of Nagaoka by buying a new MP-110 for £60 "off" Ebay. Pick it up this weekend, so will be interesting to compare to the 2M Blue. At the end of the day I get an idea about the Nagaoka sound, have a spare if need be, and its not costing me an arm and a leg.

Let me know what you think of the Nagaoka once you've has a listen, make sure you are buying the whole cartridge, and not just the stylus at that price!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
DIB said:

Let me know what you think of the Nagaoka once you've has a listen, make sure you are buying the whole cartridge, and not just the stylus at that price!

No worries. I picked it up yesterday, and everything is above board and fine. Not fitted it yet, might do that tonight when I've got the house to myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts