Chord Mojo missing first second of music

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
It has transpired that the Chord Mojo is missing the first second of manually selected tracks when using Foobar. Consecutive tracks perform correctly. The solution being suggested is to use JRiver which works perfectly, however cost real money.

Has anyone please come across a solution for this please? Otherwise please can you suggest other media players which Mojo users could try out.

Info: apparently the Mojo uses ASIO.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Vladimir. I think that Foobar and the Mojo need this enabled for it to work, however I know extremely little of this. I will pass on this suggestion.

I think it's the case that the Mojo uses an ASIO driver.

However people also tried to get Media Go (free Sony player) and that didn't recognise the the Mojo. No ASIO device detected.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Sorry. I tried to help in good faith.

Much obliged. We are all trying to get to the bottom of it and it's confusing.

The Official Mojo Thread is very long now and growing rapidly, though it has slowed slightly recently. I have seen it gain a hundred posts a day. I have only read it all because I started a good whila ago when it was about 280 pages. As I went through it, I copied every aspect that had any relevance to me.

I am coming round to the idea that buying JRiver at about £35 is the only option.

I think the reason that the Mojo thread grows so fast is that the Mojo is gaining a lot of popularity. Some say they are flying off shelves.

(Another issue aside, is that Windows phones don't work with it as yet. However it's claimed on the Chord Mojo website that Windows phones are compatible. It's something to do with Windows 8 and 8.1 not supporting OTG whih the Mojo needs. However Win 10 for phones is due today and that might fix it, as it's said to be supporting OTG. I know some with the beta Win 10 versions have no success with the Mojo though.)

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
expat_mike said:
this issue was being discussed a few hours ago on this forum thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-third-post-for-updated-info/6690

read post #6698 for a mention about the asio driver.

Several other people had the same issue earlier during the thread, and it was quickly solved. I think from memory the solution is related to the software settings used by the source.

Post #6698 which you mention was written by myself. I was suggesting the settings within Media Go to find the ASIO driver setting. Nitrile posted soon after that Media Go could not detect an ASIO device.

Somewhere soon after post 6698 I posted in Vladimir's above suggestion, but as yet no-one has replied to it.

I have read the entire thread. There is no solution yet to the missing first second of newly selected tracks. Around page 315 the issue was brought up by Massacare and salla45. Psikey suggested using JRiver because it works fine.

I came here to ask for a fresh approach and maybe someone from a different sphere of forums has the answer.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
IME often hardware using ASIO has issues with Foobar and the developer incourages F2K users to stick to WASAPI and preferably not use ASIO "because it doesn't really improve sound". *facepalm* It's not about if it improves sound (bitperfect is bitperfect), certain hardware is designed to be stable with ASIO and not WASAPI, for whatever reason.

JRiver hands down annihilates F2K on all grounds and beyond. Especially with ASIO it works flawlessly. Every cent of its price is justified IMO.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
@Vladimir, thanks for that. I need to start googling because some of the terms I am not familiar with. I don't know what Bit Perfect is. I looked up WASAPI yesterday.

@expat_Mike Yeah I am baffled by Rob Watts reply #6793. He's basically saying that it loses half a second for saftey, because changing sampling rate causes mementary potential loud noise.

However why should Foobar lose a second and not JRiver with the same sound file. If I am correct all Windows sounds will be in 44.1KHz so playing a 44.1KHz track should be OK. Unless peole are reporting it only with HD-audio which no-one has specifically mentioned yet.

Still why is JRiver OK though. I am going to have to think about this. In the end I might to have to pluck up the courage to ask Rob Watts.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You can set the buffering and latency in F2K or JRiver. How you set these will affect if the sound has dropouts, lag or work perfectly. Some DACs work better with latency and buffering set to minimum, some need just a tad and some need a lot to be stable. Usually there would be talk about what works best on manufacturer website forums by users and tech support staff.

In JRiver there is a setting Play Silence Between Tracks, this stops the DAC from turning off between tracks. The option for playing tracks from RAM instead of HDD helps sometimes for a more seamless playback. Plenty of tweaks to play with.

Only the old DACs with 16/44.1 resolution will do easy plug and play operation because they use native Windows drivers to work. For higher resolution manufacturers develop custom drivers and rely on solutions like ASIO. It takes some tweaking to get things working, but it's doable.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Rob Watts of Chord Electronics has posted what appears like and easy fix. I have tried to add a link for the two relevant posts but can't work out how to add a link. Anyway go to Expat_Mike's post '6' above and follow that link. See post 6817, and Rob's reply post 6822.

Basically it's a case of insert a second's silence before playing any newly selected track. It's apprently done in the settings of JRiver and Foobar. I don't have it in Foobar yet because it needs a downloaded component called 'affix silence'.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
regular_smile.gif

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site

Yes I have given heads up to other users on the Head-Fi Chord Mojo Official Thread about this fix. (Some of who, were discussing way back the issue.) I am waiting until someone reports it confirmed working.

This fix appears to cure the missing first second at the start of playing an album. There should neither be an issue when e.g. skipping around tracks on FLAC files of an album. The second of silence is only there if the DAC has detected a change in sampling rate.

Assuming everything is true and correct with this fix. Playing CD rips should not miss any first second anywhere anyway. Both Windows sounds and CD rip will be sampled in 44.1KHz.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Post 7249 in this link is a Head-Fi user describing the issue as fixed. http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-read-the-third-post-for-updated-info/7245

Then post 7255 describes all the left over questions and a description of how the Mojo works with Windows.

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I have the Mojo and it intermittently misses the first second of tracks sometimes. This is with the sampling rate of the music at the same sampling rate of Windows. I.e. using FLAC rips fo CDs.

It can happen when changing albums or even track within an album. It's intermittent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts