Chord Dacs? Added Distortion or accurate???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I disagree on that point you dont get more dynamic attack from a sub - thats not where the issue of using subs comes in.

Integration is impossible without measuring and management - doing it by ear is impossible thats where the problems comes in and opinions formed

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I disagree on that point you dont get more dynamic attack from a sub - thats not where the issue of using subs comes in.

Integration is impossible without measuring and management - doing it by ear is impossible thats where the problems comes in and opinions formed

Okay, agreed that management might give you better control, but systems containing subs to me have always sounded a bit AV if you know what I mean? I do however look forward to being educated as to why this is not the case when I come to hear your system.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
LOL I wasnt referring my system but after you have had a clean pounding from steinway subs woofers you appreciate what dynamic attack can be.

My big opinioned giant man sized cahoonas have shrunk considerably since Tuesday so be a while before I make a big opinion again ...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
LOL I wasnt referring my system but after you have had a clean pounding from steinway subs woofers you appreciate what dynamic attack can be.

My big opinioned giant man sized cahoonas have shrunk considerably since Tuesday so be a while before I make a big opinion again ...

Those pmc's have made an impression on you? I need to hear them now.

Just found out today that wilmslow audio do a clone also.
Something i need to demo for myself. Pmc T line bass sound.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Was it the PMC or was it the FPGA Dac, or the Valve pre amo..... Or was it mono block amps (always sound cleaner to me) - or all 4 combined. Or was it the fact its very good stereo equipment and I am listening to AV equipment - and even with good av equipment the gap is there in terms of quality

I dont mean offense by this for me it wasnt perfect, I would have wanted things a bit different to how it is - when Gazzip comes here he will see what I mean - hopefully anyway

However I really liked the leading edge clarity - is probably the right hifi term- it tracked music with a clean leading edge with all content at all volumes. Maybe thats a pmc speaker thing - Electro was similar to this.

It was too lean for me - well borderline - as the kit warmed up that did change. I would want more meat on the bones - maybe having the meat stops the bones sounding so clean edged... ?? Thats possible I suppose

I loved the space the mid range sat it in - I have heard only a few good systems do this well - i.e a tangible vocal in space.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Was it the PMC or was it the FPGA Dac, or the Valve pre amo..... Or was it mono block amps (always sound cleaner to me) - or all 4 combined. Or was it the fact its very good stereo equipment and I am listening to AV equipment - and even with good av equipment the gap is there in terms of quality

I dont mean offense by this for me it wasnt perfect, I would have wanted things a bit different to how it is - when Gazzip comes here he will see what I mean - hopefully anyway

However I really liked the leading edge clarity - is probably the right hifi term- it tracked music with a clean leading edge with all content at all volumes. Maybe thats a pmc speaker thing - Electro was similar to this.

It was too lean for me - well borderline - as the kit warmed up that did change. I would want more meat on the bones - maybe having the meat stops the bones sounding so clean edged... ?? Thats possible I suppose

I loved the space the mid range sat it in - I have heard only a few good systems do this well - i.e a tangible vocal in space.

That would be the 75mm soft domed mid range driver... Yummy... It is said that the ATC SM75-150 driver (from which the PMC 75mm dome is allegedly copied) is even better, and from what I have heard of the bigger ATC's they could be right...

In terms of my system sounding a bit lean you are not the first person to make that observation, but I think that relates back to the studio pedigree of the power amps and speakers. I would say neutral and uncoloured rather than lean. This is why (and some are going to find this perverse) I use a valve preamplifier to add a bit of body, and is possibly why the system warming up made you feel a little more comfortable with it. The ARC pre takes a long, long time to get going. So much so that at the weekend it is running all day regardless of whether I am in the room or not. Bad for valve hours, but at least that way I can pop in and out as I please without any lag time.

Or maybe it was none of the above and it was just down to a nice sandwich, in a convivial atmosphere, while we chatted hifi and listened to music for 5 hours or so. I really enjoyed the day and will definitely be popping over to your pad for a re-run.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You will see why I think its lean when you come here - its def uncloured though mate thats for sure. I just think for a vocal to sound like a real voice it needs body - but I also now know it needs the clarity as well.

From memory what seperated the big show Gamut T system from yours was some mid range colour and tone and fullness still with the leading edge clarity - maybe it takes £100k speakers and £100k system to have both,

In which case I am screwed because that is what I am now after :)

EDIT - BTW I am not saying its lean in a bad way - its just leaner than how I would want it - that is all

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You will see why I think its lean when you come here - its def uncloured though mate thats for sure. I just think for a vocal to sound like a real voice it needs body - but I also now know it needs the clarity as well.

From memory what seperated the big show Gamut T system from yours was some mid range colour and tone and fullness still with the leading edge clarity - maybe it takes £100k speakers and £100k system to have both,

In which case I am screwed because that is what I am now after :)

You and me both. *aggressive* I would describe the Gamut T system as "effortless", which I guess is clarity without any hard/lean edge. Although, I think the system we saw at Windsor might be a tiny bit large for both of our listening rooms!

As we all know on the forum this hobby is about making compromises where we think they can be accommodated, and making the best of what we can achieve within our personal constraints. That compromise may be cost, space, WAF whatever. Until I win Euromillions all of those things including the wife are compromises.

(A joke Mrs. Gazzip if you are reading this. Which I am 100% sure you are not.)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip compromise ..... not having it.

I am confident with what i heard at yours you could have both. I dont think i can but i am going to try.

Btw if mrs ellis had 50mil in the bank she wouldnt give a toss if i sat in a pitch black room all day playing with my snake like items of pleasure

Did that come across right

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Gazzip compromise ..... not having it.

I am confident with what i heard at yours you could have both. I dont think i can but i am going to try.

Btw if mrs ellis had 50mil in the bank she wouldnt give a toss if i sat in a pitch black room all day playing with my snake like items of pleasure

Did that come across right

Depends on your perspective. I think I get what you are saying.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
BTW, way off topic but I just watched a YouTube video of your system playing Chris Isaak from December of last year. I havent posted a link 'cos it has your real name associated with it, but that is one awesone room mate. So deep, deep black! An awesome achievement.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Lol your stalking me do i need to be worried......

That was before the jcat isolator and the amptastrophy and dirac and more changes lol ;)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:

That was before the jcat isolator and the amptastrophy and dirac and more changes lol ;)

No more worried than I was about you turning up with a sock full of snooker balls...

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:

I think the super clean leading edges are a trait of the 3 way PMC designs especially when partnered with amps like Bryston or Electrocompaniet .

My Electro monoblocks may only have 250wpc into 8 ohms but they have several kilowatts of peak transient power so leading edges and transients are never smeared or clipped no mater how dynamic the music is.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
ellisdj said:

No more worried than I was about you turning up with a sock full of snooker balls...

Told you no more big balls from me for now any way.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
ellisdj said:
Was it the PMC or was it the FPGA Dac, or the Valve pre amo..... Or was it mono block amps (always sound cleaner to me) - or all 4 combined.  Or was it the fact its very good stereo equipment and I am listening to AV equipment - and even with good av equipment the gap is there in terms of quality

I dont mean offense by this for me it wasnt perfect,  I would have wanted things a bit different to how it is - when Gazzip comes here he will see what I mean - hopefully anyway

However I really liked the leading edge clarity - is probably the right hifi term- it tracked music with a clean leading edge with all content at all volumes.  Maybe thats a pmc speaker thing - Electro was similar to this.

It was too lean for me - well borderline - as the kit warmed up that did change.  I would want more meat on the bones - maybe having the meat stops the bones sounding so clean edged...  ??  Thats possible I suppose

I think the super clean leading edges are a trait of the 3 way PMC designs especially when partnered with amps like Bryston or Electrocompaniet .

My Electro monoblocks may only have 250wpc into 8 ohms but they have several kilowatts of peak transient power so leading edges and transients are never smeared or clipped no mater how dynamic the music is.

electro that is why I thought you would like it mate.

Btw i was not having a dig about being fed on a demo. That was a side joke mate not aimed at you at all

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Electro said:
ellisdj said:

electro that is why I thought you would like it mate.

Btw i was not having a dig about being fed on a demo. That was a side joke mate not aimed at you at all

No prob , I did feel a little guilty after you visit especially after you laid on those lovely rolls and that gorgeous lemonade when I was at yours. *good*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Careful not to trigger the stalker with the talk of nice rolls and lemonade.

I didnt expect feeding or to be at yours that long either :)

Is all good buddy

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
All i see is very positive posts here and people are complaining a few weeks ago the forums gone dead.
Well looks like some good has come out of it also.

Free food haha

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Not just any food

Paul Hollywood home cooked rolls are to die for.

Then San Pelegrino Lemonade the perfecf tipple for a demo

You heard it here first when this sgit goes big

Andrewjvt said:
All i see is very positive posts here and people are complaining a few weeks ago the forums gone dead. Well looks like some good has come out of it also.

Free food haha
Today, at the Bristol show, I auditioned the DAVE via the new QAcoustics Concept 500s, and later the Mojo through some B&W headphones. Impossible to fault the sound in either case.

Personally, were I to be wealthy enough to consider the DAVE I'd like a less garish box, but I have no doubt about the quality of the ingredients.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Not just any food

Paul Hollywood home cooked rolls are to die for.

Then San Pelegrino Lemonade the perfecf tipple for a demo

You heard it here first when this sgit goes big
Aren't we the fancy pants

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:
All i see is very positive posts here and people are complaining a few weeks ago the forums gone dead. Well looks like some good has come out of it also.

Free food haha
Today, at the Bristol show, I auditioned the DAVE via the new QAcoustics Concept 500s, and later the Mojo through some B&W headphones.  Impossible to fault the sound in either case.  

Personally, were I to be wealthy enough to consider the DAVE I'd like a less garish box, but I have no doubt about the quality of the ingredients. 

Hi

What else was good at the show?

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
a listen to the Chord DAC's just out of curiosity. However I wouldn't buy one as even if I could justify the cost, it would be a bit of overkill in my system - everything in perspective etc plus my speakers are two-way so they're probably incapable of miniscule detail differences. The Oppo's might be capable though... but I'd have to hide the DAC behind a little curtain or something as the looks are , um, different.

Gazzip you made a comment about your valve pre-amp, and I totally agree. That was my thinking on my last (final?) upgrade. All digital sources so what about an analogue amp? As we know, it's a fantastic combination.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts