Chord CPM 2650 or Rega Aethos plus new DAC

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Looking to buy a new amp. I currently play cd's via a Cambridge Audio Azur 752 bluray player. Speakers are B&W CM10 S2.

With a £5,500 budget would i be better off buying a Chord CPM2650 integrated, or go for the cheaper Rega Aethos (which i've demoed and liked) in combination with a new DAC (Chord Qutest or something else at similar price) ?

Thanks

There's quite a price difference between those amps, which would lead you to conclude that the Chord should outperform the Rega. Whether you'll prefer the sound is another matter - especially as you have heard and like the latter. But it sounds like you know that the BR player is likely to be several steps below either of those amps (and your speakers) as a source, and that a better DAC is worth considering.

Only you would know which you preferred, and I take it there's no way of you demoing both options.

I don't know what your existing amp is, but maybe if you can get the DAC on a trial basis you could at least see what it did to your listening experience?

It would be worth considering what you want from any changes, sound-wise in advance of just spending money - what is it about how it sounds now that you'd like to improve?

D

Deleted member 116933

Looking to buy a new amp. I currently play cd's via a Cambridge Audio Azur 752 bluray player. Speakers are B&W CM10 S2.

With a £5,500 budget would i be better off buying a Chord CPM2650 integrated, or go for the cheaper Rega Aethos (which i've demoed and liked) in combination with a new DAC (Chord Qutest or something else at similar price) ?

Thanks

If you're considering chord, I think if were me i'd save for just a touch longer and seriously consider adding and looking at a chord Hugo tt and TTboy combo to your list for audition.

This would be a much more rounded and complete chord system if you're seriously considering chord.

Another fab combo that not many talk about or even consider is a naim Dac V1 (or even the new atom headphone edition. if you want streaming built-in) and a nap 200/250dr very very good ability to drive very difficult loads.

If not as mentioned Hegal and the usual suspects above are really good choices

Worlds your oyster really at this price point and you could go any way you want really.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
There's quite a price difference between those amps, which would lead you to conclude that the Chord should outperform the Rega. Whether you'll prefer the sound is another matter - especially as you have heard and like the latter. But it sounds like you know that the BR player is likely to be several steps below either of those amps (and your speakers) as a source, and that a better DAC is worth considering.

Only you would know which you preferred, and I take it there's no way of you demoing both options.

I don't know what your existing amp is, but maybe if you can get the DAC on a trial basis you could at least see what it did to your listening experience?

It would be worth considering what you want from any changes, sound-wise in advance of just spending money - what is it about how it sounds now that you'd like to improve?

My current amp is an Arcam AVR550. I've gone full circle in that i began with 2 channel stereo amps, then added an AVR (Marantz) to give me surround sound, then replaced this with the Arcam to get a one box solution.

However i now want to go back to pure 2 channel audio.

2 channel amps prior to the Arcam have been a Marantz PA7001, a Roksan Caspian M2, and a Hegel H160.

I'd like to think that what i buy now will be my final solution, and that i won't feel the need to experiment any further - so no more purchases.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Yes, and the Saturn R is a fun CD player to boot.

Note- The USB input is USB B.
It also does not accept recordings direct from a USB stick. It needs to come from a computer.
Switching from CD to DAC is done via a simple button at the top of the remote.
Flicking through digital inputs is done via the remote.

Pretty sure the Aethos uses the same remote. Therefore one remote works for both. Makes things a little simpler. No fiddling around with a remote in both hands!

I have my tv connected through a conventional digital optical connection into the Saturn (2 optical inputs). Works a treat.
Combined with the Aethos, I can't see the combo causing you too much heartache.

insider9

Chord is overrated. Get the Rega.
Chord is overrated? Probably. Get the Rega? Not for me, thanks.

OP, if you liked the Rega fair enough but it's not my kind of a sound. Neither is Chord. You really need to demo to know for sure.

£5.5k is no small change. I wouldn't bite at any price for these so you can see how different we all hear. Get in touch with a decent dealer and demo.

We don't know enough about you and your likes to advise anything else.

JohnD

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
Audition is the only way. However, if you were asking me to spend your hard earned dosh you would end up with a Sugden ANV 50 and Musical Fidelity MX DAC

TRENDING THREADS