Chord blu + dac 64mkII + chord CPM3300 integrated amp opinions

scubasteve

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
Folk,

has anyone any experience of the above kit. i have been offered second hand for 6500 all in including the cool rack that you can buy seperately.

This kit would be in the region of 15K brand new and although i only wanted to spend 3k for a new int amp with dac i am sorely tempted as i do have the extra cash lying around.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I know the DAC well, but haven't heard any of the other kit. Though I have dreamt about it a few times.

I've had the DAC for 7-8 years and without doubt it's stunning. And that's just to look at. Admittedly it dwarfs the rest of my separates, but has enhanced my listening beyond question. It's my hub for everything digital: CD, losslessly streamed music, Blu-Ray, SkyHD. Whatever goes into it comes out sounding great. A warmth I hadn't associated with digitized sound emerges.

I've been looking at the integrated amp as my next upgrade. Still deliberating about new or second hand.

Out of interest, if you don't mind me asking, is the offer you've been made with a dealer or private seller?

scubasteve

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
hey charlie,

the deal is with a private seller here in singapore where i live.i have looked at the system and it is stunning visually as well as sounding amazing. the only pain is that you can only switch inputs on the dac from the rear switch

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
scubasteve:
hey charlie,

the deal is with a private seller here in singapore where i live.i have looked at the system and it is stunning visually as well as sounding amazing. the only pain is that you can only switch inputs on the dac from the rear switch

Buy, buy, buy!!! I doubt that you will ever need to upgrade ever again.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:

Buy, buy, buy!!! I doubt that you will ever need to upgrade ever again.

Totally agree!

I would be knocking on the bank managers door now.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
scubasteve:
hey charlie,

The rear switch thing isn't such a pain once you've lived with it for awhile.

Like the other guys say: buy it now!! Sounds like an excellent deal. Good luck, happy listening.

A

Anonymous

Buy it right now! Ifr you don't want it, will he ship it to england for me to try out
emotion-4.gif

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Your paying the 'right' money for the set up. It's not a bargain and if you sold on you would probably get close to what the asking price is.
You didn't mention cable's and if it came with them. If it did come with good cabling then it could be worth it.
I run a CPM3300 and it's a very good amp. If you read the review on line from Stereophile it's pretty much spot on.
There is one thing i should point out is that it runs hot, i mean really hot. If it gets pushed hard for long period's it will switch off. I run a separate fan when i want to do this. Don't let this put you off because it's a stonking amp which can go loud when you want it and it enjoy's it!!
Regarding the 805s i haven't heard the combo but the person i bought the amp from was running B&W 8 series, but not sure which model so should be a good match, he was an audiophile nut.
Hope this help's.

A

Anonymous

its not a great price, and the dac is very old now. but if you like the sound and all cables come with?

scubasteve:

Folk,

has anyone any experience of the above kit. i have been offered second hand for 6500 all in including the cool rack that you can buy seperately.

This kit would be in the region of 15K brand new and although i only wanted to spend 3k for a new int amp with dac i am sorely tempted as i do have the extra cash lying around.

emotion-1.gif

Btw, Chord Electronics amplifiers work superbly with the 800 series. You may be interested to know that when B&W launched the 800 series at the Heathrow show in 1998 they chose to power the big 801's with Chord Electronics amplification.
emotion-2.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Do you really need the CD player? You said in your first post that you were only looking for an amp and a DAC.

I think £6500 gets you a brand new QBD76 DAC and Chord CPM2650 integrated amp combination. (Rick will know the details.)

At least then you have the re-assurance of full dealer and manufacturer warranties. (Which should normally be at least 3 years for this sort of gear.)

(Of course there is the new Naim DAC for £2K which leaves you £4.5K for an amp!)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Like woolyjoe said it's not a bargain.
Remember the amp is the old model not new. I paid £1750 for mine nearly 2 years ago. Also the dac as mentioned is the old model and you can pick these uo for £800 or so. This means you paying £3950 for the Blu and i presume a 3 tier rack.
If good quality cables are included it could be worth it.

A

Anonymous

I have a Chord Blu and DAC 64 Mk II (ie with dual 176.4 kHz inputs) that I am thinking of selling in order to buy a Linn Klimax DS.

I guess they are around 4 years old and I would include the Chord Signature Digital BNC cables to connect them. They are in the UK.

robin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts